AndyKempster

MIGHT BE A DAFT ASS QUESTION BUT ... ???? Stereo / Mono?

20 hours ago, AndyKempster said:

When faced with a record that plays Mono on one side and Stereo on the other

Which one to do you put on?

I know what I do, but would be interested to see/hear what you do

Depends on the mix. A lot of times in the old days they would only put the drums through one of the stereo channels--drives me nuts!

1 hour ago, kri3 said:

Depends on the mix. A lot of times in the old days they would only put the drums through one of the stereo channels--drives me nuts!

Absolutely, some late 60's tunes in particular i.e. early days of stereo are very crudely separated - Winstons 'Color him father' a good example.

I always go for the stereo mix on 70's 45's though because they had sorted it out by that time, and to me it's like colour versus black & white

The demos were obviously to promote the record through radio play. Stereo singles were around as early as 1959. Around 68/69 they released singles in stereo again, but they sounded odd because the radio stations transmitted on AM using mono equipment (particulary college radio)  at that time. By about 1975 the mono / stereo promo demos were not needed as the equipment was far superior and broadcast in FM allowing stereo transmission.

If a big dance floor had stereo speakers and you stood next to one of them, there is a chance you would not hear the other speakers instruments in that scenario. I would be tempted for mono at events like that, but stereo for home/domestic/headphones or tx on the radio/tv etc.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.