Leroy Burgess - Genius or What?

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

2 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Hardly a week goes by without I come across another outstanding Leroy Burgess track - total genius or what? Here's a couple of recent discoveries, uncredited vocal on this unreleased Chez Damier mix, and superb 70's Sympho State 'You know what I like'. Discuss people :thumbup: 

Evening Chris

Nice tunes - although not really smashing it for me. Heart breaker did though.

Pete

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Top all round talent. ,singer   ,songwriter,  producer , arranger,  probably made  the coffee in the studio 👍👌👏🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

On the voice anthology a never released track called heavenly,  know it  ? 👌🎶🎶🎶

12 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

What's your top LB tune if you had to pick one?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Tip of a very large iceberg Pete :D

Yes it is the tip of the iceberg, as he sang lead on most of Black Ivory's hits, and for all the 45 collectors several of the 80's things he was involved with did in fact get released on that format, 'I know you will' 'You got something special' Inner Life's  'No way' (a personal fave) Intrigue's 'Fly girl' the list could go on. A top talent within that field.

Andy

Social source share

Leroy is the lead on  Convertion- "Let's Do It" and the  Fantastic Aleems- "Hooked On Your Love".

He also does some of the leads on the Peter Jacques Band "Fire Night Dance " album but his vocals are so sped up, it's hard to recognize him.

Edited by the yank
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

From what has been written about him seems like he's an all round nice guy  , any stories ?

14 minutes ago, Roburt said:

Met up with him (& the other members of Black Ivory) in Manhattan around 1999, didn't take any pictures that I remember though. 

Social source share

Spent ages last night trying to post a link to Dazzle! Always reminds me of Richards late 70's sets. And as for the Leroy & Belita tune, really nice, always meant to get one,  never did! 

Good job Chris - this has turned into a great topic.

Edited by Rich B
Being a numpty!
Social source share

On 06/10/2017 at 15:37, Rich B said:

Spent ages last night trying to post a link to Dazzle! Always reminds me of Richards late 70's sets. And as for the Leroy & Belita tune, really nice, always meant to get one,  never did! 

Good job Chris - this has turned into a great topic.

Cheers Rich, has turned up some good tunes and interesting comments - hopefully still more to come

Social source share

4 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Interesting - how did that come about?

At the time, I was in touch with Stuart Bascombe on-line & my son worked in New York back then. I mentioned I was visiting & he asked if I wanted to meet up while there. We arranged to meet at the rail stn in mid Manhattan which was the end of the line for the PATH (from Hoboken). We met up & went for a coffee and he fetched the other 2 Black Ivory members with him. He was keen to try to forge a UK connection as Leroy had gone solo and the other 2 were trying to find a place in the music biz still. Leroy already had a good number of decent UK contacts so was a bit bored with the whole meeting. I interviewed em about their days in Black Ivory & music biz happenings since. All 3 were good but Leroy didn't need any help, so was less interested in the meeting.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

3 hours ago, Roburt said:

At the time, I was in touch with Stuart Bascombe on-line & my son worked in New York back then. I mentioned I was visiting & he asked if I wanted to meet up while Tthere. We arranged to meet at the rail stn in mid Manhattan which was the end of the line for the PATH (from Hoboken). We met up & went for a coffee and he fetched the other 2 Black Iviroy members with him. He was keen to try to forge a UK connection as Leroy had gone solo and the other 2 were trying to find a place in the music biz still. Leroy already had a good number of decent UK contacts so was a bit bored with the whole meeting. I interviewed em about their days in Black Ivory & music biz happenings since. All 3 were good but Leroy didn't need any help, so was less interested in the meeting.

Thanks for that - really interesting

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!