Empires - You're on top girl

Julianb

I actually found a receipt from a few years ago recently where JM had auctioned my copy and I got around £1700. Although I've not seen the one on Craigs site, he's very much on the ball with things like that so I'd say 99% it's not original although I would have thought he would have stated that. When all said and done though, who would pay $600 for a boot????

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm surprised.... Firstly, didn't know it had been booted but more so $600 for it. My little story goes like this:

John's Soul Bowl list dropped through the letter box as usual. I'd already got the phone in my hand. John and I were friends and even if there wasn't anything of interest on the 'Rarities' page I'd always order something and reserve it to collect at the weekend, such was our relationship. As I opened the list and quickly scanned down the Northern section I saw the Empires "You're On Top Girl" on a Candi white demo...... the price, a mere £5.00

It was still a relatively new record on the scene and I hadn't seen John list it before. It was certainly going for more than a fiver. I bit the bullet, dialled the number and got through straight away. "I'm guessing you fucked up" I said to John. "Oh hi Steve", he said (he knew my voice). "I guess you mean the Empires". "I presume it's £50 unless you've found a box full" I said. "Yeah, bloody typewriter" came his reply. "I'll take it anyway"..... and the deal was done.

Ted Massey was fuming and has never forgiven me for that one I don't think !

Steve  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I thought it was Little john on gogate Steve never managed to get that one. I had a phone call from Andy Rix to tell me about it before 8.30 but couldn’t get thru 😱got the Empires early 90’s. I wonder why Craig is listing as a repro 

Edited by Ted Massey
Social source share

8 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

I thought it was Little john on gogate Steve never managed to get that one. I had a phone call from Andy Rix to tell me about it before 8.30 but couldn’t get thru 😱got the Empires early 90’s. I wonder why Craig is listing as a repro 

Hi Ted. Are you asking what makes Craig's repro a clear-cut repro? I'm sure several of us would like to know what the giveaway features are so we don't burn our fingers in future. He has another record by the Empires up for sale at present so maybe one looks dubious alongside the real one? Funny that the price is set at $600 - how was this arrived at given there is a single source of the replica?

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
Social source share

10 hours ago, Benji said:

I did something that I guess most of you would never think of: I emailed Craig Moerer stuff and asked for more details about the Empires repro. Of course I won't share the reply :wink:

I asked the same. He said as it was listed as a repro, the deadwax readings would be of no significance. Perhaps he told you more information? If so, please share it with us on here.

Social source share

He has listed it as a "repro",but did he justify the hefty price tag?

5 minutes ago, JulianB said:

I asked the same. He said as it was listed as a repro, the deadwax readings would be of no significance. Perhaps he told you more information? If so, please share it with us on here.

Social source share

11 hours ago, Benji said:

I did something that I guess most of you would never think of: I emailed Craig Moerer stuff and asked for more details about the Empires repro. Of course I won't share the reply :wink:

Let's hope no-one gets fleeced with another one then , if there's an easy way of identifying the boot/repro then why not just share that information , there's no way that there is just the one copy of this repro out there ... 

Social source share

3 hours ago, JulianB said:

The dead wax details would in fact be of great significance! If there are no details whatsoever, this would make it a bootleg. If there are actually details scribed in the run-out, this is the main way of confirming authenticity, or in this case, fakery. Don't understand this cat-and-mouse stuff - total openess is the best way forward. A price tag of $600 will get some free publicity, but you would have to be crackers to pay even $60 for this piece of forgery.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo...useless keyboard...
Social source share

11 hours ago, Benji said:

Why not share, if it stops someone being fleeced in the future it will be valuable information.  Or did he share nothing of significance?

Social source share

On 8.10.2017 at 15:53, MGM 1251 said:

:g:

C'mon Benji....what did he say?

Sorry for delay. Reply got stuck in my spam filter:

"Benji,
We appreciate your interest. We obtained these from someone who had them custom made for his own collection. After reviewing some of them, there are some quality issues with playback. We have removed them from sale pending further investigation.
Thanks and have a wonderful day,
John"

Social source share

Ave 

On 10/8/2017 at 11:13, MGM 1251 said:

:shhh:Could this be one of the "infamous" lookalikes,along with Sam Williams,The Magnetics..et al..there was a thread not so long ago about them (IL).Think PeteS is clued up on them...

Have I already"touched upon"the start of its journey? :wink:....

Social source share

On ‎07‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 17:12, Ted Massey said:

Actually it could have been Ted. My memories not what it used to be lol

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!