News: Jerry Ross R I P

Roburt

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Sad to hear this- Jerry was involved with so many great songs !

As a producer- Sapphires- Gotta Have Your Love" and "Slow Fizz", Jay and the Techniques' "Apples, Peaches, Pumpkin Pie", Fathers Angels- "Bok To Bach", Virgil Henry - "You Ain't Saying Nothing New" .

As a writer- Dee Dee Warwick (among many others) "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" and "When Love Slips Away". 

R.I.P. 

Social source share

Jerry Ross did a huge number of great tracks but not everything worked out so soulful ... in 1969 Jubilee appointed Jerry Ross as the new producer of pop group the Happenings. Back then Ray Dahrouge was a very in-demand song writer. He'd had more success with his songs when cut by soul artists than by pop acts, so he decided to go down that road once again. So Ray wrote a song that he thought would be a perfect cut for Archie Bell & the Drells (titled "Young Girls Want What They Can't Have"). He cut a demo of it in the style of AB&D's and waited to see who would pick it. Jerry Ross came calling and with his track record with the likes of the Festivals, Bobby Hebb, Jerry Butler, Dee Dee Warwick, Showstoppers, Jay & Techniques, etc. Ray was happy when Jerry took the song away with him. BUT, he decided to try it on the Happenings, it didn't fit them well, went unissued and the song just died off. 

JerryRossNov69Happenings.jpg

JerryRossHeritage69.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!