News: Bunny Sigler R I P

Roburt

Going way back to 1959 ... this single obviously had it's admirers back in the early 60's as copies of it were pressed up again towards the end of 61 & it was re-promoted as a new release .... maybe his 45 on Craig was doing well locally in Philly and so they reactivated this old 45 to catch a few easy sales.

BunnySigler59.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

I don't know why (even after all these years), but UK copies on Cameo Parkway of Bunny's biggie "Let The Good Times Roll" dried up within just a few weeks of the 45's release. 

By then, the 45 had taken off in UK clubs and demand from soulies was growing stronger. Again, I know nothing of the industry politics behind the move, but EMI went to their French associate and mass imported French Stateside copies of the release.

This 45 was probably the first import soul single that many UK soulies ever bought (coz you could just go to your local high street record shop to obtain a copy) ... even today, if you go on Discogs, around 80% of French copies of the 45 are on offer from British sellers rather than French sources.

BunnySigler45Mont.jpg

Social source share

R.I.P Bunny Sigler 

Bunny on stage at The Benidorm Soul Fiesta 2016

still letting the good times roll as Dave Moore would say fantastico !

Photo was taken by my wife Yvonne  

We both had the pleasure to meet him & hear him on stage 

P1000760.thumb.JPG.bc09aca938d3409ea31c87a58212caa9.JPG

Edited by Kev John
Changed Photo from Dean Courtney to Bunny Sigler ,Head in a shed at the moment
Social source share

24 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

If someone in the know could clear that up it would be great..

Ed

I found a couple of places that state it,  https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bunny-sigler  - and also on a youtube comment for the Phil la song.

It's bugging me because I remember reading that one of Bunnys regrets was not recording a song with Benny, just can't find it now.

Think it might be another thread on here.

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
Social source share

19 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

And B Signer wrote it...

Confusing...

I thought he sang with one brother in the 50s but not 'benny'.

Also thought when 'turn to ' came out, it was a spello..

You live and you learn!

Ed

He sang with brother James in I think the Opals.  I always assumed Benny was another brother or someone different.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Bunny always denied that he had anything to do with the Benny Sigler 45 at all ... BUT THEN ... he was signed to another record label at the time.

However Benny recorded with the Cooperetts for Lash Records around 1963 (2 tracks escaped on the BEST OF LASH RECORDS CD with another cut being available on amazon as a digital track). So it seems Benny was a recording artist around 4 years before the Phi-la-Soul 45. I CAN GIVE YOU LOVE sounds like a decent dancer (but being early 60's sounds a bit dated). Did it ever escape at the time ??

He also wrote a couple of songs that Alfreda Brockington cut for Lash (Give Me What You're Giving Her being a decent dancer).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!