Mid 70's records help

Hi all at the risk of taking a bashing can i ask for some help. I have volunteered to do a charity soul evening, which will be for the more casual soul fans. Now i have got a decent assortment of motown and instantly recognisable soul records to cover this but i am a little light on them 70's records that blended into disco they love to hear, now i want to stay away from the obvious disco but am not sure which to go for, examples of which are, you can do magic, the love i lost, billy ocean stop me, shake your booty, i love music, disco or soul ???, personally i would prefer stuff that has the same net affect but not so blindingly obvious. Never really listened to this pre disco era that much, any suggestions.

Social source share

Here's a few soul/disco popular 70's floor fillers to be going on with :yes::thumbsup::

"Back Together Again" - Roberta Flack Feat. Donny Hathaway (!979)

"Love Don't You Go Through No Changes On Me" - Sister Sledge (1974)

"I'll Be Around" - Spinners (1972)

"Hold Back The Night" - Trammps (1975)

"Don't Leave Me This Way" - Thelma Houston (1976)

"Feel The Need In Me" - Detroit Emeralds (1972)

"Young Hearts Run Free" - Candi Staton (1976)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Casey and the Sunshine Band - Queen Of Clubs

Playthings -Stop What You're Doing I Like It

John Miles - One Minute Every Hour

Jesse Green - Nice And Slow

Tony Etoria - I Can Prove It

Hamilton Bohannon - Foot Stomping Music

Lesser known, but soulful party tunes. Hope this helps. Let hs know what you played and how it went.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, geeselad said:

Try

Al mathew_ fool

Emotions best of my love/I don't want to lose your love 

Boz scaggs-lowdown/what can I say

Melba Moore baby don't change your mind

All worked well for me at these types of events in the past. 

Is it not Gladys Knight Baby Don't Change Your Mind. Melba Moore Standing Right Here? Both Buddah 45s.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Surprised no one has yet suggested any Philly International cuts. Can't go wrong with tracks on the label from the likes of the O'Jays, 3 Degrees, Harold Melvin & B Ns, Intruders, Tramps, Peoples Choice, MFSB, Archie Bell & D's, etc.

.... ohh an O'Jays 45 recommendation just beat this post onto the thread. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Here's a few 1970's tracks off my head that I have played 100's of times at various gigs trying to keep it Soulful with a touch of pop and disco, by the time a few of these have come on even someone with their head glued to their mobile phone will hit the floor....:thumbsup: :hatsoff2: 

Archie Bell & the Drells  -Here I Go Again, Soul City Walk, I Could Have Dance All Night 

Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, See You When I Git There 

Al Green - Lets Stay Together, Take Me To The River 

Maxine Nightingale - Right Back Where We Started From 

Melba Moore - This Is It 

Drifters - Your More Than A Number In My Little Red Book, Kissing In The Back Row Of The Movies 

Stylistics - Can't Give You Anything But My Love, I'm Stone In Love, You Make Me Feel Brand New 

Earth Wind & Fire - Fantasy 

Tavares - Don't Take Away The Music, Heaven Must Be Missing An Angel, More Than A Woman 

Shirley and Co - Shame Shame Shame 

Tymes - Ms Grace 

Barry White - Your My First My Last, You See The Trouble With Me, Baby We Better Try And Get It Together 

James Brown - Sex Machine, Get Up Offa That Thing 

Gladys Knight and The Pips - Midnight Train To Georgia, Baby Don't Change Your Mind 

Jimmy James and The Vagabonds - Now Is The Time, I'll Go Where The Music Takes Me 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, dylan said:

Bruv that Lou Rawls you'll never find was going to be my suggestion great record

It certainly is Dylan perfection from start to finish, it was the first song that entered my head when I spotted this thread, I had a job to think up that list as it was too early in the morning for me.  :sleep3::) :hatsoff2:  

• Thanks 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, John Siret said:

Is it not Gladys Knight Baby Don't Change Your Mind. Melba Moore Standing Right Here? Both Buddah 45s.

Yeah you're right of course, but I the Melba -  standing is in another class, too good for this type of crowd, lol. 

Edited by geeselad
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

Not a genre I am very knowledgeable about but this track somehow got under my skin back in the day. Probably just a time and place thing. But it's still top of my faves list.

Anyone else remember this from back then? I suppose late 70s rather than mid.

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Sweet understanding love - Four tops

Me and baby brother - Meters

Come on and go with me - Pockets

You don't have to be a star - Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jnr

Bad Luck - Harold Melvin

I can understand it - New Birth

Doin it to Death - Fred Wesley & the JB's

Lonely Days Lonely Nights - Don Downing Jnr

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Al these were played regularly in ordinary clubs, each one brings back great memories for me of Baileys Oldham,

Act 1 Tom The Peeper  Chi Lites You Dont Have Go  Millie Jackson My Man A Sweet Man  Tramps Hold Back The Night/Scrubboard  Jackie Moore Both Ends Against The Middle  Moments Nine Times  Retta Young Sending Out An SOS  Joe Simon Step By Step  Sons Of Robin Stone Got To Get You Back  Ecstasy Passion & Pain I Wouldnt Give You Up  Jimmy James A Man Like Me  Jimmy Ruffin Tell Me What You Want  Impressions First Impressions.

No rarities but every one a classic.         

• Up vote 3
Social source share

12 hours ago, MBarrett said:

Not a genre I am very knowledgeable about but this track somehow got under my skin back in the day. Probably just a time and place thing. But it's still top of my faves list.

Anyone else remember this from back then? I suppose late 70s rather than mid.

Mr Searling use to feature this track (& at least one other off the LP) on his radio shows / club DJing spots back when it was a new release. Was this one his main play, my memory is slipping away quickly ... of course, Expansion packaged both his LP's together on a CD release about 3 years back.

Edited by Roburt
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!