Florida Soul Book -- Public Presentation

Roburt

Anyone in the Miami area in mid to late November needs to know about this ....

LOCATION:  MIAMI UNIVERSITY  Wolfson Campus, 300 NE 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL, 33132,.

Sunday, Nov. 19, Room 7128      4:30 p.m.      Music of the Sunshine State

November 19th --  4:30 pm at Miami Book Fair:   Panel with the book's author + producer (Deep City and Henry Stone) Willie Clarke, Marlon Johnson, who directed Deep City documentary, and Helene Smith, first Miami soul queen who recorded for Deep City— discussion, Q & A and then book signing and Helene Smith sings live!

Live performance by HELENE SMITH (a distant relative ?)   . . . . I know where I'll be at 4.30 on the 19th November.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

We base ourselves in north Ft Lauderdale (Coral Springs). Our nearest beach is Deerfield. Immediately north of Deerfield Beach is posh town Boca Raton.

90 year old tenor sax Jimmy Cavallo usually plays a few nights a week in venues in the Delray - Boca Raton area. 

Also in the general area there's a church (based in an old cinema) where the pastor is a certain WAYNE COCHRAN. Of course, Wayne gets his own chapter in the book ..... 

Back to Dec 71 when Wayne was up in New York performing live ....

NYShowDec71C.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Just to the north of this Miami Uni campus is the old black ghetto area of Overtown.

Here you can still find the old chitlin circuit theatre >> the Lyric Theatre . . . . https://www.historicpreservationmiami.com/lyric.html

. . . . . ALSO ... there is the Wynwood Walls area ... always worth a visit (day or night) ... https://www.thewynwoodwalls.com/

The Ft Lauderdale area used to be quite soulful, unfortunately the Basin St East Club ain't there anymore.

Miami67HeleneSmith.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

John Capouya has been in touch again to tell me that Benny Latimore now lives in Riverview, up by him in Tampa. John says he’s going to the Uni where John teaches to give a workshop the week after next. He's also attending the book launch party in St. Pete  on October 27th ... live entertainment that night by Little Jake Mitchell  (aka Jock Mitchell) and the Soul Searchers (venue: Palladium Theater, St Pete @ 7 pm on Oct 27).

We'll be in Florida by then but don't think the wife would be up for a trip up to St Pete so soon after we arrive.

Miami68L.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

A couple more old ads that are relevent to the stuff detailed in the book ... Frankie Gearing has her own chapter in the book and, in the early days, she was a member of the Laddins (that's her in the picture on the ad).

Miami68w.jpg

Miami1965c2.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Also still performing around southern Florida .... Joey Gilmore. He does shows in Miami and all around that area but he usually bases himself close to Delray Beach ... which just happens to be immediately to the north of Boca Raton (& our local beach is Deerfield -- just south of Boca) .

...... Joey gets a mention in the book ....

JoeyGilmoreNov17.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/9/2017 at 19:13, Roburt said:

John Capouya has been in touch again to tell me that Benny Latimore now lives in Riverview, up by him in Tampa. John says he’s going to the Uni where John teaches to give a workshop the week after next. He's also attending the book launch party in St. Pete  on October 27th ... live entertainment that night by Little Jake Mitchell  (aka Jock Mitchell) and the Soul Searchers (venue: Palladium Theater, St Pete @ 7 pm on Oct 27).

We'll be in Florida by then but don't think the wife would be up for a trip up to St Pete so soon after we arrive.

John tells me that Latimore, his wife and daughter will all be attending the Florida Soul Book launch party held on October 27 at the Palladium Theater in St. Petersburg (FL). Lat might even sit in with Little Jake (Jock Mitchell) and the Soul Searchers on the live show. He's also had confirmation that Frankie Gearing will sing at the event and Sarasota Slim will sit in on guitar.

Miami68r.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

John tells me that Timmy Thomas has been added to the panel at this event and will also perform (the Florida Soul event November 19th, 4:30 pm, in the Miami Book Fair). ALSO the great Jackie Moore (who also has a chapter in his book) will also be on the panel and even though she says she is having trouble with her voice, she is considering joining her buddy Timmy and performing as well..

This should be a Big Fun Event, John says that he just has to herd cats ... meaning ... as moderator handle input from all the various panellists  -- these now include Willie Clarke, Helene Smith, Marlon Johnson (do-director of Deep City documentary) Timmy and Jackie.
HE ADDS THAT ...... everything at the book fair is free PLUS open to public 
         Details:    Sunday Nov 19, 4:30 pm      Miami Dade College, Wolfson Campus
                              Bldg 7, room 7128     300 NE 2nd Ave  Miami Fl  33132

I'm already in Sth Florida & can't wait for the 19th to come around.
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the MIAMI BOOK FAIR yesterday & attended the  Florida Soul book presentation. Along with the author, the panel consisted of the great Jackie Moore, Timmy Thomas, Willie Clarke, Helene Smith & Marlon Johnson (co-director of Deep City documentary).

It was a fun meeting, though not enough people attended it.

All the artists present talked about events in their careers (that are discussed in the book). Timmy Thomas did a bit of a new song he's cut and Jackie was so happy I knew "Both Ends Against The Middle", we sang a short duet on it.

As well as the book presentations, there are loads of cool stalls selling cheap books, magazines, postcards, prints, posters, etc. ALSO stuff for kids and food lovers (a marquee where chefs were doing presentations, cooking food, etc) and numerous food stalls selling every type of cuisine.

There was also a music stage on one of the (closed) streets and I got to see a reggae / funk band perform plus (after dark) a jazzy blues outfit. No idea who they were but both outfits were decent. Pity the artists at the book presentation didn't go up on stage and sing a short set.

P1160076.JPG

P1160082.JPG

P1160082x.jpg

P1160054.JPG

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Didn't manage to get up to Palm Beach Gardens to see Joey Gilmore perform ... BUT ... the venue must be a decent place as ....

The PGA Arts Centre is the PROFESSIONAL GOLFERS ASSOC ART CENTRE and Palm Beach Gardens is just about as expensive as Boca Raton as all the top sportsmen / women have pads there (all the golfers & the likes of the Williams sisters).

It might be a hang out for the rich but it don't make it that safe ... as many sportmens homes are empty a lot of the time (& full of expensive goodies), PBG's is a top spot for burglaries ...  Venus Williams place was done while we were there & the robbers took $1000's worth of stuff.

JoeyGilmoreNov17.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!