Version Poll: Friday Night?  

1. 1. Which Version does it for you?

• Johnnie Taylor
    • Steve Mancha

This poll is closed to new votes

• Sign in or join to vote
  • Poll closed on 16/10/17 at 21:01

Back to the 'version battles' for this weeks poll

A members recent suggestion on the forums and a potential classic battle lined up

Johnnie Taylor - Friday Night  v  Steve Mancha - Friday Night

All you have to do is select the one that you enjoy the most!

Will auto close in 7 days 

As always please use the comments below to explain, discuss, ponder  etc etc your reasons, background stories, history, anorackabilia and such...

Johnnie Taylor - Friday Night

Steve Mancha - Friday Night

over to you....

Social source share

I suspect if you played both to  someone who'd never heard either  before they'd have a job realising it's the same song. Such is the rearrangemnt of the 70s version. Not that it's bad. Just the opposite but the original is still some way ahead. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Steve mancha for me as i think it is more of a distinctive work, and as Maslar has already said they are quite different takes.

p.s. a suggestion for a future version battle that i would be interested in would be Lou Courtney v Howard Guyton 'i watched you slowly slip away'.

Social source share

2 hours ago, maslar said:

I suspect if you played both to  someone who'd never heard either  before they'd have a job realising it's the same song. Such is the rearrangemnt of the 70s version. Not that it's bad. Just the opposite but the original is still some way ahead. 

The date on the Johnnie Taylor copy above is wrong, JT's version is from 1970 Stax 150 not 1975 Stax 2025 which was a re-release. I know it's still technically seventies, but just wanted to be accurate.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

JT for me....found the" issue" and the "demo",at the same boot sale....

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

Steve mancha for me as i think it is more of a distinctive work, and as Maslar has already said they are quite different takes.

p.s. a suggestion for a future version battle that i would be interested in would be Lou Courtney v Howard Guyton 'i watched you slowly slip away'.

...or...The Sapphires v The Yum Yums...unless its already been done...

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Or maybe Marvin's or Darrell Hall's versions of when did l stop Lovin you 🎶

13 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Or maybe Tempos v Younghearts A Little Togetherness.

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

The Johnnie Taylor version is one of the first singles I bought with money from my paper round.  The guys at Stax have taken the song by the scruff of its neck and reworked it into an urgent, frantic slice of dance floor perfection.

Given that Don Davis was involved with Groovesville, it wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't the guys originally at Stax, but some of the Grooveville boys. I think JT recorded at United Sound fairly often. 

Interesting article here, don't know if it's been on here before.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/detroit/2016/05/09/detroit-united-sound-systems-forfeiture-i-94-drug-trafficking/84157598/

Social source share

Steve Manchas version is just perfect, production, arrangement and the finished article are just sublime.

But because it was the 1st version I heard in my youth club days and it`s a sound that sticks with you I have to vote for Mr Johnny Taylor!

Can I chip in with a future poll suggestion of The Spiral Staircase or Sam Fletcher? :yes:

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Johnny Taylor for me since it was one of the first Northern records I ever heard, back when they were simply known as "good disco records".

My mentor and bro-in-law, John Haithwaite, had realised that the A-side (Steal Away) had not been deleted (it was around 1971), so he had a good thing going ordering new copies from WH Smiths for about 50 pence and then selling them on to the local mods at £1.50 each.

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Guest son of stan

Johnnie Taylor all day long for me.

Steve Mancha is good but I also think Jackey Beavers' 'Love That Never Grows Old' (same backing track) is a far better record all round. Coincidentally, the other side of the Jackey Beavers, 'I Need My Baby' was also redone (sort of) at Stax:

Social source share

21 hours ago, bbrich said:

19 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Can I chip in with a future poll suggestion of The Spiral Staircase or Sam Fletcher? :yes:

Thanks for the suggestions but just like to make a quick 'suggestion' on these type of poll 'suggestions'

The idea of the version battle polls is really of a more 'compare' orientated thrust than a 'discover' thrust, so both versions do need to be fairly well known for the poll to work best

If you do want to highlight different not so well known versions then it may be better suited if you start a seperate 'different versions' topic up with both versions asking thoughts etc 

cheers

mike

as always ask take any follow on discussion on polls to the support forum rather than this topic

Edited by mike
tidy
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

What was going on with the Steve Mancha version?

'Friday Night' is considered the A-side but the other side, 'Monday Through Thursday' (which sounds like they spent more time on it and is the better side) ends with him instructing the listener to 'turn the record over' and hear how the story ends...

...Suggests that 'Monday Through Thursday' is actually or was originally intended to be the a-side?

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

Johnnie Taylor  is the version i have play . i know it fills the floor with dancers:thumbsup:.Steve Mancha's version can,t remember every hearing any one play it at Nuneaton  we been going over a decade .

ys Taylors gritty heart rendering tale .

Edited by IAN STACEY
this is an original on my decks
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!