Help with a title for this r&b tune

Foxman

Hey folks,

Hopefully someone can help with this tune. Comes in at about 30m40s on the mix posted below. Listed as Detroit Junior "Too Poor" but definitely isn't that tune. Any help with song title/artist/label much appreciated. 

https://www.mixcloud.com/stevelongworth5/nothing-but-blues-guys-vol1-tracks-from-the-blues-men-of-50s-60s-from-the-known-to-the-obscure/

Cheers

Adam

Social source share

Clearly, it is "Reap What You Sow" by a Blues artist.  I can't tell who the artist is based on his voice, but it's someone I've heard before.  It sounds like early 1950s.  I'll look up and see who recorded "Reap What You Sow" in the late '40s and early '50s.  I know that Muddy Waters, Guitar Slim, and a whole slew of other Blues singers sang that song.  But I can't place the voice.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

26 minutes ago, ThinkSmart said:

A number of relevant artists did a 'Reap What You Sow' including Otis Rush, Guitar Slim, Billy Stewart and Sonny Terry.  Not had time to check this file above but may be one of those.

Billy Stewart's is not the Blues song, it's his own composition.  The singer on this recording is NOT Otis Rush, Guitar Slim, nor Sonny Terry.  I know their voices.

Social source share

33 minutes ago, RobbK said:

Clearly, it is "Reap What You Sew" by a Blues artist.  I can't tell who the artist is based on his voice, but it's someone I've heard before.  It sounds like early 1950s.  I'll look up and see who recorded "Reap What You Sow" in the late '40s and early '50s.  I know that Muddy Waters, Guitar Slim, and a whole slew of other Blues singers sang that song.  But I can't place the voice.

He's asking about the track starting at 30:40 not the first track ... :shades:

Social source share

2 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

He's asking about the track starting at 30:40 not the first track ... :shades:

3 hours ago, ThinkSmart said:

Sorry!  That voice sounds very much like Detroit Jr.  So, maybe they just got the song wrong?  Although, the song is about his ladyfriend always asking him for money (but he's "Too Poor").  So, "Too Poor" might be correct.  But, maybe, "She Wants Some Money" is the title?  It sounds like early 1960s.  I would guess that it really is Detroit Jr. singing.

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Yeah, it certainly sounds like Detroit Jnr but it's not "Too Poor". Have tried a search using variants of what the title might be based on the lyrics but nothing thus far. 

This here is "Too Poor". As you can see it's a different tune. 

Social source share

Detroit Jr.  recorded a lot through the 1950s and the 1960s.  The recording in question sounds to me like 1963 or 1964.  "Money Crazy" above, sounds like late 1950s.  The recording in question could be a 1960s Detroit Jr.  re-recording of that song, with the tempo and a few of the words changed.  If I had to bet, I'd be that is exactly the case.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!