Topo1964

Days in the old cafe

Those in the top photograph are pin tables not pinballs which there are a number of differences.

Pinballs have flippers and the idea is to keep the ball in play using them for as long as possible amassing points to gain replays on the machine.

Pin tables have no flippers and contain a number of holes. The idea is to get the ball in the correct hole to light up a sequence of numbers which give you points depending upon what sequence you achive. You could nudge these machines a lot more than pinballs. From my expeience years ago in a cafe in Wolverhampton you could swap the amassed points for cash behind the counter of the cafe if you were lucky!

Edited by craig W

I grew up in a seaside town in the 1960s and we were spoilt with rows of pinball machines in the arcades. :)

Some of the local kids got really good!

I remember one day one of our mates was really on fire. There were about 20 of us crowded round one of the machines as the replays "popped" up. He was up to at least 60 when the attendants decided they had had enough and threw us all out - including the kid who was playing. We were incensed and went to the Police Station claiming that they had stolen his replays. Not surprisingly they told us to DO ONE. lol!

There was a bit of a courting ritual involving pinball machines. Something very sensual about playing a pinball machine "in tandem." You on the one flipper and your girlfriend on the other one. :)

the best l can come up with is razzy Bailey

21 hours ago, polyvelts said:

Wow that is seriously niche ! Respeck !

22 hours ago, Spain pete said:

My second passion after music  ,any soul music with reference to pinball , come on folks ? 🎶🎶

12 hours ago, craig W said:

Those in the top photograph are pin tables not pinballs which there are a number of differences.

Pinballs have flippers and the idea is to keep the ball in play using them for as long as possible amassing points to gain replays on the machine.

Pin tables have no flippers and contain a number of holes. The idea is to get the ball in the correct hole to light up a sequence of numbers which give you points depending upon what sequence you achive. You could nudge these machines a lot more than pinballs. From my expeience years ago in a cafe in Wolverhampton you could swap the amassed points for cash behind the counter of the cafe if you were lucky!

A tanner (sixpence) to play

3 in a line won 4 games

4in a line won 16 games

5in a line won 75 games

I was addicted 👍

11 hours ago, Topo1964 said:

A tanner (sixpence) to play

3 in a line won 4 games

4in a line won 16 games

5in a line won 75 games

I was addicted 👍

If you was a dab hand with a bit of wire, through the hole where the ball firing plunger was, replays were easy, and the money for cashing them in was great. :thumbup:

Misspent youth, how dare you sir.

Edited by Kegsy

That's very  good   go  to the top of the class ,l'm still struggling seem to be struck in a groove ,Maureen bailey , taking my time ,best l can do 

12 hours ago, TattooDave said:

The best I could do...

13 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

If you was a dab hand with a bit of wire, through the hole where the ball firing plunger was, replays were easy, and the money for cashing them in was great. :thumbup:

Misspent youth, how dare you sir.

Tell tell signs that you were a shit pin ball player. 

1. You grunted every time you used the flippers.

2. You were unable to use one flipper at a time.

3. You always had your tongue sticking out.

I was a great player. Loved all the different features such as multiple ball.

That's very  good   go  to the top of the class ,l'm still struggling seem to be struck in a groove ,Maureen bailey , taking my time ,best l can do 

12 hours ago, TattooDave said:

The best I could do...

Not as good as me used to make a tanner last for hours 

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Tell tell signs that you were a shit pin ball player. 

1. You grunted every time you used the flippers.

2. You were unable to use one flipper at a time.

3. You always had your tongue sticking out.

I was a great player. Loved all the different features such as multiple ball.

If you were to stick a stool or two under the machine to balance it out before putting a coin in, with skill you could lodge a ball on a 200 point place where it would just sit and continually add 200 points, once the amount of extra plays you thought you could get away with playing was reached the machine is easily tilted and then the extra plays played for free.   That and many other "dirty scoundrel" tricks were part of my growing up.

16 hours ago, TattooDave said:

If you were to stick a stool or two under the machine to balance it out before putting a coin in, with skill you could lodge a ball on a 200 point place where it would just sit and continually add 200 points, once the amount of extra plays you thought you could get away with playing was reached the machine is easily tilted and then the extra plays played for free.   That and many other "dirty scoundrel" tricks were part of my growing up.

Gwen, the woman who worked in my local cafe, had ears finely tuned to spot, the repetitive sound of this sort of skulduggery. I got many a slap round the head for similar tricks. She must have threatened to bar me and my mate about 100 times, but she never did.

Edited by Kegsy

8 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Gwen, the woman who worked in my local cafe, had ears finely tuned to spot, the repetitive sound of this sort of skulduggery. I got many a slap round the head for similar tricks. She must have threatened to bar me and my mate about 100 times, but she never did.

You must have been much more of a regular than me to have known her first name, we used to ask for the jukebox to be turned up a little, and if she didn't then we'd do it ourselves at the back of the jukebox, that usually stopped the radar like ears of the old bag that banned me on several occasions. 

16 hours ago, TattooDave said:

When the cig machines took half crowns, if you got a new looking (not worn thinner) old penny, held it half in to the coin slot and then "fired" it in with your thumb, it would either drop through, so you could try again, or operate the mechanism. You then got 10 cigs and 2 old pennies change, depending on the state/newness of the change pennies, you could empty the machine with a little perseverance. Obviously we waited until the machine had been recently filled before pulling the stunt.

3 hours ago, Kegsy said:

When the cig machines took half crowns,

How come you never surprise us !!!  What did you do to the beechnut machines that had every fourth turn a free one

6 minutes ago, smudger said:

How come you never surprise us !!!  What did you do to the beechnut machines that had every fourth turn a free one

We scratched out the bit that said "Every forth turn a free one" then waited until three people had used the machine, obviously.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 09:54, craig W said:

Showing my age now would that have been Jays Café on Stafford St.

No it was what we called Ethels Cafe in St Georges parade (The road opposite Cleveland St)

Don't know what the real name was of the place but it was a woman called Ethel who run and owned it.

Must of been in the mid 1970's when I went in and played the machines.

Join or log in now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links