Tommy Ray Tucker / Challenge

Alan Walls

*Old Banger Alert*

No, not me after my birthday on Monday, this: 2 mins 23 secs of rollicking, roistering, full on Northern knees up action! My old Little Ritchie c/u from Glenrothes & Allanton niters, as described by my good man Mark Windle in his excellent ‘Rhythm Message’ book* (see pics). Being the discovery of a B-List DJ from Scotland, it barely registered beyond Hadrian’s Wall, so an enterprising young/not-so-young DJ with an ear for exciting Northern from beyond the Top 500 might just find there’s plenty legs left in this.

*Which is available, along with a veritable library of fine books on soul, R&B, from Mark at:

https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/

I’m asking £200 quids for this, plus £8 Special Delivery. There’s a big book doing the rounds which values this at £250: my copy looks VG++ with light surface scratches and scuffs that don’t affect the sound; it plays loud, clear and punchy. YouTube clip is for reference only, it’s not my record. The one I’m selling is in my pic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x1d0ngG2vM

Actually, some English folk did notice it back then: I’m at a Mexborough niter, late 80’s, and a pal tells me there’s a boy in the record bar selling Little Tony & Hakes ‘Cry Cry Cry’ on Original Sound as “Alan Walls’ Little Ritchie c/u, massive in Scotland £12”. So in I go and strikes up a conversation. Don’t recognise the fellow from Adam, nor he me, but he assures me he’s a big pal of Alan Walls, and that Alan personally confided in him the true identity of this massive c/u. “Won’t he be pissed off you’ve uncovered it” I asked? “Nah, he’s about to drop it soon anyway. He won’t mind” came the reply! Despite being blazing with ‘phet and high jinks, I managed to resist the temptation to collapse in a fit of scornful laughter and just left him to it. I apologised for not having the necessary £12, and wished him well. I never did find out who he was, or if the penny ever dropped, but he seemed to look away on catching my eye on the way out. I certainly saw smoke from his heels as he shot off up the road…

Thanks for looking. I'll have a bigger list of all sorts of good shizzle up later today. Cheers, Alan

1 TRT label.jpg

2 TRT - book 1.jpg

3 TRT Book 2.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 1
  • Views 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:43, Alan Walls said:

*Old Banger Alert*

No, not me after my birthday on Monday, this: 2 mins 23 secs of rollicking, roistering, full on Northern knees up action! My old Little Ritchie c/u from Glenrothes & Allanton niters, as described by my good man Mark Windle in his excellent ‘Rhythm Message’ book* (see pics). Being the discovery of a B-List DJ from Scotland, it barely registered beyond Hadrian’s Wall, so an enterprising young/not-so-young DJ with an ear for exciting Northern from beyond the Top 500 might just find there’s plenty legs left in this.

*Which is available, along with a veritable library of fine books on soul, R&B, from Mark at:

https://a-nickel-and-a-nail.myshopify.com/

I’m asking £200 quids for this, plus £8 Special Delivery. There’s a big book doing the rounds which values this at £250: my copy looks VG++ with light surface scratches and scuffs that don’t affect the sound; it plays loud, clear and punchy. YouTube clip is for reference only, it’s not my record. The one I’m selling is in my pic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x1d0ngG2vM

Actually, some English folk did notice it back then: I’m at a Mexborough niter, late 80’s, and a pal tells me there’s a boy in the record bar selling Little Tony & Hakes ‘Cry Cry Cry’ on Original Sound as “Alan Walls’ Little Ritchie c/u, massive in Scotland £12”. So in I go and strikes up a conversation. Don’t recognise the fellow from Adam, nor he me, but he assures me he’s a big pal of Alan Walls, and that Alan personally confided in him the true identity of this massive c/u. “Won’t he be pissed off you’ve uncovered it” I asked? “Nah, he’s about to drop it soon anyway. He won’t mind” came the reply! Despite being blazing with ‘phet and high jinks, I managed to resist the temptation to collapse in a fit of scornful laughter and just left him to it. I apologised for not having the necessary £12, and wished him well. I never did find out who he was, or if the penny ever dropped, but he seemed to look away on catching my eye on the way out. I certainly saw smoke from his heels as he shot off up the road…

Thanks for looking. I'll have a bigger list of all sorts of good shizzle up later today. Cheers, Alan

1 TRT label.jpg

2 TRT - book 1.jpg

3 TRT Book 2.jpg

Thanks for the indirect pitch too Alan!

BTW if anybody else wants copy (of the 45 or book!) after Alan's sold his one, there's one here...just pm...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!