Eddie Garrigan - Fontana

Ian Parker

Pete S

bradcam said: 
Hi

Does anyone know the difference between the boot/reissue and the real deal of Eddie Garrigan - "I Wish I Was" (Fontana).

Thanks in advance.

Brad

The boot is on thick vinyl, blue moulded on label, no machine stamp in the run off. Original is on styrene with stuck on label, blue label or white demo, with appropriate machine stamps.

Social source share

Russoul's is a nice original copy, in good nick.  Nice clean grooves for a styrene issue.  They usually wear mighty quickly.  You see that the original blue store stocker didn't have the stars.  That's another way to recognise the boot.  It was blue (pretending to be a store stocker), and yet had the DJ stars, indicating the "play side".

Social source share

2 hours ago, RobbK said:

That's the white DJ issue.  The stars only appeared on the white DJ issue.

The WDJ scan sent in by IanP is missing the legend "promotional copy / NFS, and has a scratched in matrix number....unlike those of Russ and Zoom,who have machined stamped matrices 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

The WDJ scan sent in by IanP is missing the legend "promotional copy / NFS, and has a scratched in matrix number....unlike those of Russ and Zoom,who have machined stamped matrices 

I saw Ian P's as BLUE.  It's clear that his is a bootleg. 

So, if you say that his is white, then there was a "white DJ bootleg", as well as a blue "store stock bootleg".  The only bootleg of this record I have seen is the BLUE one which also has the stars on the "A" side, mimicking a promotional copy, but not having the words: "promotional copy - not for sale", and not having the stamped matrices.  Ian P's scan looks to me like that BLUE bootleg (NOT white).

Social source share

IanP - not sure how much you paid or if you buy high end records - try and use the experience of some of the older guys on here - Russ , RobbK and PeteS have all been around the houses - if in doubt PM them before you buy - I know. You're concern maybe / well then they might buy this super bargain from under you - but they won't, your know why coz if they wanted it they've already got it.

I hate it where people scam others into buying something that's incorrect, return the record, name the dealer- and draw a line under it.

just because of one bad dealer, don't mean there all at it , remember it's a hobby- enjoy

Social source share

7 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

Here's a WDJ ,medium gauge vinyl,scratched matrix,no Promotional copy-NFS

I've never heard of a vinyl white demo of this...enclosed below, bootleg (l) original (r) and the matrixes from the boots (scratched) and the original (stamped) and ANY dealer would have known the difference, no excuses

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9306.jpg

IMG_9307.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, dave pinch said:

is it just me but i thought that all fontana and phillips distributed labels  are styrene..just an easy way to look at it

that's what I'm thinking dave, knew the one I have was original as soon as I saw it, styrene with stuck on label same as jd martin tower etc

Social source share

On 16/10/2017 at 14:32, dave pinch said:

is it just me but i thought that all fontana and phillips distributed labels  are styrene..just an easy way to look at it

Quite a number of the demos are vinyl.  

The white demo of "Could This Be Love" - Joyce Kennedy for instance.   I think the demo of The Honey Bees "She Don't Deserve You" is vinyl as well.

Some of the Mercury distributed Blue Rock demos are vinyl.  "Do It With All Your Heart" - Dee Dee Warwick.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

13 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Quite a number of the demos are vinyl.  

The white demo of "Could This Be Love" - Joyce Kennedy for instance.   I think the demo of The Honey Bees "She Don't Deserve You" is vinyl as well.

Some of the Mercury distributed Blue Rock demos are vinyl.  "Do It With All Your Heart" - Dee Dee Warwick.

Blue Rock, (US) Philips, and (US) Fontana were all subsidiaries of Mercury (as was Smash Records).  Therefore, each of them should have had ALL their issues distributed by Mercury (certainly true of Blue Rock, which was only a US label, as far as I know.  Non US Fontana wasn't distributed by Mercury, as Mercury had affiliate local distributors in other countries.

I'm sure I've seen eastern and Midwestern Mercury records and its subsidiary labels' white DJ issues pressed on vinyl. Most of their styrene white DJ issues were pressed at Monarch for Wstern US market, as far as I remember.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!