Jackie Lee - Darkest Days - Boot Or Genuine

Ray Copley

Hi

I've had his record years and always believed it to be original, I have just been told it's a boot but can't find anything to confirm this record as ever been booted on this label design.

I can see by looking at other past sales and images that this copy seem to have a smaller size lettering. And as I've had it years it's not a recent one where people can print labels to look the same.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards - Ray

59e4761d6a7b0_JackieLee.thumb.jpg.d76d499684d032e66f3111cab8f983d3.jpg

Social source share

I'm no expert Roy but it looks to have had the deletion Gold ink stamp that a lot of ABC stuff had so they couldn't be sold as new

looks like the Gold ink has been felt tipped over ? I would've thought it was an original mate but as I say I'm no expert :thumbsup:

Swifty

Social source share

11 minutes ago, SWIFTY said:

I'm no expert Roy but it looks to have had the deletion Gold ink stamp that a lot of ABC stuff had so they couldn't be sold as new

looks like the Gold ink has been felt tipped over ? I would've thought it was an original mate but as I say I'm no expert :thumbsup:

Swifty

Hi Swifty

Black felt pen is what I did to cover up were a label had been !

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Ray Copley said:

Hi Chalky

Were would I find information about a 70's reissue.

I have search loads of previous sales etc and can't find a scan, picture of this, I would have thought if it had been reissued there would have been more of that than the originals !

1968 press delta number 73393

1971 press delta number 85897

The font for the artist and title on the 68 press is larger as in soundsokeh post

Edited by chalky
Social source share

1 hour ago, Pete S said:

The 1971 version must have been some kind of custom pressing as there's no way ABC would have reissued this obscure flop single for no reason

Maybe someone in the UK just ordered some and ABC pressed them up using new plates, in the same way as Carstairs issues were pressed up for Global in Manchester, using the same plates though.

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Maybe someone in the UK just ordered some and ABC pressed them up using new plates, in the same way as Carstairs issues were pressed up for Global in Manchester, using the same plates though.

Yeah thats exactly what I meant...custom pressing for the UK

Social source share

Just now, Ray Copley said:

Hi Patto

It's vinyl but can't give matrix as it's on it's way back to me from someone who bought it but don't want it thinking it's a 70 reissue !

OK Mate but if this later press 85897 is ment to be on styrene then that rules yours out as a reissue i would have thought.like i say there are different sizes of credits on the Eddie Holman vinyls that are all original

Social source share

I have the first press and I had the second press.  They were both on styrene. 

Anglo-American had the second press in quantity, about 10/15 years ago.

Social source share

I must say that the first scan above looks very much like a legitimate ABC press from their factory on Long Island NY, which was called True Sound. 

It may be the case that the only first pressing of 1968 was done on styrene at Monarch with delta number 73393 but it's unusual for a nationwide operation like ABC to produce only one regional press of a release. 

When I first saw the scan my initial impression, like Swifty's, was that the black ink in the top portion was to cover up ABC's telltale deletion mark, a dab of gold paint.

Deadwax markings will tell a lot of the story, but I would say that whatever this is it is not a bootleg. A legitimate pressing from a reorder from 1971 sounds plausible. The fact that it's on vinyl and not styrene alone makes it a pretty nice way to own Darkest Days.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

That's what I can't understand !

I can't find another scan or sale of one the same even the one and only one on Popsike that states the same matrix numbers is not the same, it as a different text on label to mine and the Popsike one looks like styrene to me:

See scan of my b side :  59ef5ae76c817_jackieleebside.thumb.jpg.7e57e77b4a5b3ca836cd91ef96cd163d.jpg

Popsike Link :  https://www.popsike.com/php/detaildatar.php?itemnr=252816556662

Popsike Scan: 321326943869.jpg.e5183752adda4af948e1e8e76875a26c.jpg

Edited by Ray Copley
Social source share

1 hour ago, noss said:

Same could be said of loads of tunes that go for double the value of this. 

Social source share

56 minutes ago, geeselad said:

Same could be said of loads of tunes that go for double the value of this. 

Indeed. Also there are some very rare records that go for resonabl;e anmounts. Popsike does seem to confirm that this pressing is harder to find than the styrene one though.

Social source share

5 hours ago, tlscapital said:

Yes and I don't know of any ABC who didn't got a promo release. Jackie's 'darkest' got a promo styrene West Coast release. But what about an East Coast one ? Maybe none !

Can't remember the artist but there's a really rare solo girl record on ABC which is so bad quality that it can't be played but would have been great - I don't think there's a demo of it, only an issue which must surely have been withdrawn

Social source share

59 minutes ago, Pete S said:

Can't remember the artist but there's a really rare solo girl record on ABC which is so bad quality that it can't be played but would have been great - I don't think there's a demo of it, only an issue which must surely have been withdrawn

Is that the Dorothy Moore and Dolletts 45 .. Aka The Poppies .... I'm A Lonely Girl .. Terrible pressing and bad quality sound

awesome previously unissued version by Gloria Edwards on that Crazy Cajun CD

ANDY

Social source share

On 10/17/2017 at 04:08, garethx said:

I must say that the first scan above looks very much like a legitimate ABC press from their factory on Long Island NY, which was called True Sound. 

It may be the case that the only first pressing of 1968 was done on styrene at Monarch with delta number 73393 but it's unusual for a nationwide operation like ABC to produce only one regional press of a release. 

When I first saw the scan my initial impression, like Swifty's, was that the black ink in the top portion was to cover up ABC's telltale deletion mark, a dab of gold paint.

Deadwax markings will tell a lot of the story, but I would say that whatever this is it is not a bootleg. A legitimate pressing from a reorder from 1971 sounds plausible. The fact that it's on vinyl and not styrene alone makes it a pretty nice way to own Darkest Days.

So unusual, that I wouldn't believe it.  Swifty's certainly looks legitimate.  I would guess there was an original styrene Monarch release for The West, and an East Coast vinyl pressing, and likely, a Midwest vinyl pressing, as well, EVEN if the record had a relatively small press run, and wasn't pushed much by ABC.

Social source share

On 10/24/2017 at 10:51, Ray Copley said:

The dilemma is over,

Just had it confirmed it's an Original 1968 East Coast Vinyl Press.

Which it it's rarest format just little a shame about the label damage !

Glad this got resolved Ray and glad my hunch about it being completely legit has been confirmed. Nice record to have!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!