themroc

Vietnam Documentary BBC

If you have been watching this series what's your opinion? I'm completely absorbed by the even handed approach by the filmmakers. Without getting to polemical  it really gives a human and emotional side of a tragic story told by both sides of a conflict that had cultural and civil repercussions. If you haven't seen it I would totally recommend it. An insight it to the horror and humanity of conflict. 

Nick. 

Edited by themroc

Best thing that I've watched all year , very well made , well balanced film that has opened my eyes up on a subject that I grew up with as a kid but remained for the most part completely ignorant about .

If I had to recommend one thing to watch in 2017 this would be it.

Excellent documentary that benefits greatly from all the archive footage.  Interesting to see that draft dodging was happening on both sides, with the North Vietnamese politburo leaders sending their sons and daughters over to the Soviet Union to study while conscripting the peasants to fight their war against the South.  What makes this documentary stand out is the contributions from those who were involved on both sides.

Sooo looking forward to tonights penultimate episode, this series stands out from other Vietnam films/documentaries because it delves deeper into the history and politics of the area and gives accounts from both sides instead of just the Americans :thumbsup:

31 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Episodes 9 and 10 both on tonight ....  22:00-22:55 and 22:55-23:50.

Thanks didn't realise that both were on tonight....i'm  gonna be a rebel and watch both, life in the fast lane :thumbsup:

49 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

They'll be available on iPlayer for a good while after so no need to burn the midnite oil on a schoolday ... :thumbsup:

We've come a long way from just BBC1 and ITV (in black and white), and if you missed something good, tough.

Yep , we now have a million and one channels ... most of which are showing re-runs of those shows we were watching on BBC1 and ITV in B+W back then ... lol

3 hours ago, Pete S said:

Watched it from the start but I'm still not clear who's fighting who and for what reason

I think that was a large part of the problem Pete :lol:

The one thing I've watched 'religiously' all year. Absolutely fantastic IMHO

Stayed up and watched the last two episodes.  Still a "communist" country since the North seized Saigon after the withdrawal of the Americans, but had to adopt capitalism to revive the failing economy.  After watching the whole series, you get a sense of the futility of it all.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links