J Manship Auction Results 18-10/2017

Bo Diddley

Not sure what happened to the Lou Ragland (?) record that had the hairline crack. I saw it go over £700, went for a cuppa and when I came back, it had GONE !!!

Very odd, if anyone can add the reason or finish price, please add a comment.:g::huh:

Patti Young - Head And Shoulders (Above The Rest) / The Valiant Kind - Ernstrat

Patti Young

Head And Shoulders (Above The Rest) / The Valiant Kind

Ernstrat: 495 (45s)

It's not very often Detroit looks to New York for inspiration, but this rarely encountered Northern Soul trophy did just that, when in 1965 Mike Theodore rearranged the Clyde Otis & Norbert DeCoteaux composition recorded on MGM by Marlina Mars. Whilst Marlina's version is a wonderful piece of Northern Soul, Patti Young's infinitely rarer take, carries that irresistible Detroit dominance, Al Saxon & Mike Theodore construct around Patti's bewitching vocal; sweetened by shrill backing girls.. bolstered by honkin' horns, crafting distilled girl Northern Soul at it's most persuasive..

The in New York / Detroit hybrid works perfectly. A record owned by very few DJ's and since it's bootlegging on the infamous Out-Of-The-Past label in the early 70's, this Ernstrat original comes intoi view... 

But for the Detroit devotees the overlooked flipside is pure Motor City magic, written & arranged by the gifted Mike Theodore the ingenious "The Valiant Kind" with it's exploding bomb intro, is saturated in homegrown inventive Detroit styling...fabulously simplistic piano intro moves to the side, for a bevvy of Soul Sister to deliver a patriotic message when from nowhere explodes a saxophone solo to elevate the session to another level.. more exploding bombs, machine guns as the heroic-war-backdrop is emphasized, but all you'll remember from this directive is the spectacular saxophone intrusion and those silky girl vocals.

Insanely rare in this fine clean condition, and a record that only a dedicated few, can boast of ever owning..

Condition Report

White on the label has very light storage "spotting" in places, scrutinize the label scans. The vinyl under light reveals only a few very fine hairlines and plays flawless ((listen)

•  £636.00

Sorry, this auction has ended.

•  18/10/2017 18:00

Marvelettes - I'll Keep Holding On / No Time For Tears - Tamla Motown TMG 518 DJ

Marvelettes

I'll Keep Holding On / No Time For Tears

Tamla Motown : TMG 518 DJ (45s)

We think the label scan & the soundfile will tell this 45's story far better than we can..

An iconic platter.. 

a trophy for those DJ's who want to trigger whiplash on their audience, as the turntable-cam focuses in on that Red & White vision of beauty,

the pain of envy and head swivelling will instantly dissolve in the mind when that drum roll hits..and those delicious girl vocals sprout wings..

Condition Report

Labels are free of writing or tears..light aging/browning and rub to the white areas (see scans). Vinyl reveals light hairlines under direct light.. scrutinized the soundfile we found crisp, loud, clear and true..<br />

•  £280.00

Major Lance - Too Hot To Hold / Dark And Lonely - UK Columbia

Major Lance

Too Hot To Hold / Dark And Lonely

Columbia: 7688 (45s)

By far "The Major's" rarest British 45 may we dare to say his best? But we know you will be wowed by this massive slab of quality underplayed Northern Soul....

The only reason this 45 did not eclipse "Investigate" "The Beat" "Ain't No Soul (In These Old Shoes" "Everybody Loves A Good Time etc. back in the day; is the same reason many top-drawer Northern Soul dancers languish in the background' is it's serious unavailability. Since it's 1965 swift deletion causing a severe dearth of copies, only a few DJ's had a copy to play, thus the aforementioned release stole the limelight lifting Major Lance into a demigod on these shores..

So take a listen to a pure slab of Chicago Northern Soul that back in the 60's and early 70's was very seldom aired, but today I do hear an occasional drop of the Okeh release, and always to a rapturous response. At this moment poise for bigger and better things,as this fantastic tune is not an easy capture as USA original, but as this 1965 UK press it's a different story. 

British collectors check through your Major Lance 45's, we're betting this 45 is not there ad if it is, it is not totally flawless like this copy..

After you've been compelled to dance to "The Major" at his most-insistent.. flip it over for "Dark And Lonely" again Major Lance is his superior-self on this Billy Butler song..

Two great sides only surpassed by the spectacular condition..

Condition Report

Flawless in every way, most likely unplayed before we lifted that impressive soundfile. As good as it gets condition!

•  £80.00

Ray Pollard - The Drifter - United Artists Promo

Ray Pollard

The Drifter / Let Him Go (And Let Me Love You)

United Artists: 916 DJ (45s)

The Northern Soul "last record" anthem... in breathtaking flawless condition..

Nothing we can say, could elevate this NS Classic any higher in your estimation, more than it already sits...

Condition Report

Two unblemished labels, two play surfaces that only reveal the merest minuscule sleeve contact blemish, a whicker away from a Manship Mint listing

•  £750.00

Ronnie & Robyn - Sidra's Theme - Sidra PROMO

Ronnie & Robyn

Sidra's Theme / Blow Out The Candle

Sidra : 9007 DJ (45s)

We have talked about this monumental Northern Soul instrumental before, how it jolted me into silence as I chattered away.. the unusual genial intro, instantly caught my ear, so out of sync with the rest of the records I'd heard that day inside Whitchuch All Dayer.. slowly building on ripples of Harp plucks..you just knew something was about to happen as the rhythmic rattle of drumsticks intensified.. then the horn blasted through the calm BRILLIANT!

"WOW what's this tune?" ...and I wasn't the only one standing in open-mouthed astonishment.. Ian Levine had announced it with his usual gusto, giving it a cover-up title I just cannot remember but I'm sure he made it sound like it was gonna be the biggest, best, most-wanted sound of that summer 1973 I'm thinking.. he wasn't wrong either..

I do delight in Northern Soul classics with the capacity to take you back to the times when everything was new to the ears, but branded then into your brain for the next week.. 

"Sidras Theme" did that, I think we even made a special trip the Blackpool Mecca for the of chance to hear it again, back in those days the cover-up tease with it's weird and wonderful christenings were part of the joy of being a Northern Soul boy..

This promo copy that took me all the way from my untidy desk at home, to Whitchurch 1973 is flawless - two perfect labels, play surfaces hardly reveal a blemish, plays perfect..

A listing especially aimed at Northern Soul old-school collectors who want to leap into the virtual time-machine that records of this calibre give you the key to..

Condition Report

as mentioned above, two perfect labels, play surfaces hardly reveal a blemish, plays perfect.. a real clean copy od a real-deal Rare classic!

•  £345.00

Perfect Touch - Your Love Has Got The Power part 1 & 2 - H.E.M.M.

Perfect Touch

Your Love Has Got The Power / Your Love Has Got The Power part 2

H.E.M.M.: 4463 (7")

RARE street-level Detroit Soulful dancer making it's debut on this auction - yes this is our first copy of Soul Sam's cover-up.

A neighborhood project omitting writers, producers, arranger etc always a sign of real local obscurity. But in this case not a sign of amateurish approach to what is a convincing rarity.

Simple piano intro, is joined by gently measured percussion, then heavenly girls press home the chorus that will feature throughout this addictive groove.. lead vocal, is supported by those shrill Sisters whilst the mid-tempo dance arrangement takes shape.. flip it over for part 2 (unlike most part 2's) this one is not just a continuation of the a-side this side is more insistent hitting peaks the a-side doesn't attempt, lengthy instrumental breaks peppered with silky ladies choruses..

Local, rare and memorable Detroit with edge and individuality.. 

Condition Report

Nice clean vinyl with just a couple of hairlines hairlines revealed under strong light, plays clean & true. The startling sky-blue labels have light storage smudge, but totally free of the annoying flaws, writing, tears, sticker, stains this 45 has none of those..

•  £185.00

Various Artists - Chartbusters U.S.A. - UK Columbia

Various Artists

Chartbusters U.S.A. / 1965 UK press

Columbia: SX 6016 (LP)

You are viewing the most-wanted, least seen of all Soul compilation albums, the fabled UK Columbia 1965 tribute to Chicago Soul and the legendary Okeh label "CHARTBUSTERS U.S.A"

14 tracks by the then mostly unknown on British airwaves, Walter Jackson, Ted Taylor, Vibrations, Billy Butler and the Chanters, Artistics and the already idolized Major Lance.. check out the back cover scan to reveal that breathtaking track listing.
With no USA counterpart, this was however an album that sold virtually nothing upon release; unless you really were very "hip" those artist's names would have meant nothing to ,most people couple with Columbia's amazingly poor marketing nevr mentioned the word Soul or R&B on the front cover. The back cover is only marginally more information, to the style of what you expect if you played it..

Thus an unparalleled album passed everybody by, for a fate of early deletion and extremely rarity..

I feel privileged today to be able to offer, a pristine copy of this insanely elusive LP. Our first flawless copy in memory..

Flawless vinyl, two perfect labels, housed in original EMI rice-paper lined "Emitex" inner sleeve. Laminated flipback cover front and back are unblemished..

Condition Report

may we repeat: Flawless vinyl, two perfect labels, housed in original EMI rice-paper lined "Emitex" inner sleeve. Laminated flipback cover front and back are unblemished..

•  £111.00

Vivian Jones - Money Can't Buy My Love - Lark

Vivian Jones

Money Can't Buy My Love / Crying

Lark: 102 (45s)

Going from Detroit Northern Soul girl-sounds that seldom that seldom-surface, to an insanely rare 45 bristling with attitude and drive..

One of the most absurdly rare sister-shakers on that "impossible "Lark" label. Just like Bernie Moore this girl offering is an exhilarating dance-floor-destroyer made even more dynamic by Ms. Jones's growling delivery how "Money Don't Move" her.. 
She'll certainly move you though...as the relentless guitar riffs lay down a dance track you just can't ignore; embroidered with shrill girl choruses, a sprinkling of a male group harmony response and a saxophonist who dresses up the background perfectly..

This production has everything, just like Bernie Moore not a single corner is cut, as a full studio delivers guts, defiance, held together by perfectly timed hand-claps.

This song is top-drawer Detroit with a rarity pedigree send to none, and the only reason it's not yet a Holy Grail, is because there has never been enough copies in existence to go round all the A-list DJ's to make it so..

Listen to hear what I'm a applauding as well at the insane rarity, this is truly rousing Sister-Northern at it's most magnificent..

Condition Report

Vinyl inspection reveals a few mild surface marks, as you can hear it plays flawless. Both labels suffer light face wear, a-side has mild h2o splash NOT affecting any text. Flipside label only has mild storage rub, and a couple of spots (see scan) and absorb, as this is not a record you're likely to see again anytime soon

•  £1,360.00

Friday Brown - 32nd Love Affair - Fontana TF 736

Friday Brown

32nd Love Affair / Born A Woman

Fontana: TF 736 (45s)

So very rarely comes to market, one that even the most avid British Northern Soul collector, most probably will not own.

From the magical year of 1966, this Mancunian lass started her recording career with Parlophone her first record sold nothing and this follow up on Fontana sold even less. Changing producers never saw a change in her single sales fortunes and after 8 x 45rpm release over 7 years, sadly this accomplished sing/songwriter released no more..Before you today is her best and extremely rare single..

Pure Northern Soul intro, leads into full kitchen-sink production includes a searing bank of strings, girl choir purring perfect Northern Soul response whilst cradling Friday's imposing vocal; as she discharges a defiant message to the ex-lover "It's My 32nd Love Affair". I just love the lyrics, her carefree attitude, and her spectacular vocal that rides high on this huge production..

For me this leaves other Brit contenders for No. 1 Northern Soul recording British Girl 45 in the dust. Step aside Paula Parfitt - your love is not so wonderful, Kiki Dee - That Magic Carpet has been in the air for far too long, time to land for Friday Brown to let lose with this much-rare and for me less "Pop" orientated. 

British production it may be, but for me this is pure Northern Soul from a gal with one hell of a voice.. 

The flipside is another big production that showcases the strength of her voice even stronger.. 

Stick Helen Shapiro, Paula Parfitt, Kiki Dee etc. at the back of your DJ box, time for Friday Brown to have her long overdue day .. standout lyrics, killer vocal, huge production with pure Northern Soul moments.. 

LOVE IT!

Condition Report

Fine clean vinyl, hardly a blemish on either side. Both label as you see

•  £144.00

Little Joe Hinton - Let's Start A Romance - Arvee

Little Joe Hinton

Let's Start A Romance / Your Kind Of Love

Arvee: 5029 (7")

Hipshakin', handclappin', horn decorated feelgood R&B flavoured dancer, a piece of Northern Soul you just can't ignore, especially when Little Joe hits you with a snarling outburst elevating an already commanding dancer..

"Stop Your Crying Woman .. He Didn't You From The Start"

Relentless dance fuel that's cramming them onto the floor everywhere it's played..

The previous few copies we have auctioned this century has been a little worse for wear.. this perfect-play copy has a few very fine hairlines and as you can hear not even a whisper of a sound flaw..

A fantastic furious hunk of R&B shimmering with smooth class.. from Joe's emphatic delivery..

An essential NS DJ weapon against the "same old"

Condition Report

Bright light reveals a few very fine hairline, but nothing that reacts on the stylus (listen) Unlike our previous listing in2015 both labels are free from writing, stickers tears or stains. From memory there is a very very weak "Pink" fade to the background colour.. hardly worth a mention (see scans)

•  £1,000.00

© 2017 John Manship Records. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Website Made by iWeb |  

Edited by bo diddley
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

£280;  Is that allot for a British Demo of Marvelettes?  I know there are allot less Aussie collectors out there as apposed to British collectors, but I bought an Aussie demo of this for about twenty quid I think on here some years back... first run, and Red Bullet sticker...

£750 for Ray Pollard really is silly though...

Mal :-)

Social source share

4 hours ago, dylan said:

Ray pollard just madness it’s got a naught on the end of what it should be

I thought £150 maybe £200 at most, But you are right JM gets MAD prices.

Social source share

10 hours ago, Mal C said:

£280;  Is that allot for a British Demo of Marvelettes?  I know there are allot less Aussie collectors out there as apposed to British collectors, but I bought an Aussie demo of this for about twenty quid I think on here some years back... first run, and Red Bullet sticker...

£750 for Ray Pollard really is silly though...

Mal :-)

It's not over the top for the Marvelettes. I sold my UK issue copy two years ago for £120, so a clean demo at slightly over twice the price isn't excessive.

Social source share

£714.00

The auction records disappear only if they are paid for on the pay now button, all records are deleted when Ordered we are trying to think of a way to leave them up after the PAY NOW button has been activated. The winner paid the moment he won it. People who pay next day or by phone the record stays visible until we update

Edited by Paul Royle
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Paul Royle said:

£714.00

The auction records disappear only if they are paid for on the pay now button, all records are deleted when Ordered we are trying to think of a way to leave them up after the PAY NOW button has been activated. The winner paid the moment he won it. People who pay next day or by phone the record stays visible until we update

Hi Paul, Thanks for filling in the blank space!! Much appreciated:thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!