Is it me, but?

Julianb

On 17/04/2018 at 11:12, geeselad said:

well I can remember Brownie paying £40 for it at the 100 club in about 87, you could have bought a lot of good tune for £40 back then, probably 4/5 Jeanette's anyway! 

I don't remember it even being that much at that time. Shared a flat back then with two mates. One or the other of us picked up a copy of Celeste Hardy and then within a few weeks the three of us had one each just out of boxes at niters. Would have thought about 15-20 quid back then..

Social source share

1 hour ago, JoeSoap said:

I don't remember it even being that much at that time. Shared a flat back then with two mates. One or the other of us picked up a copy of Celeste Hardy and then within a few weeks the three of us had one each just out of boxes at niters. Would have thought about 15-20 quid back then..

you might be right, I  never spent more than £20 on a record back then, so might of been £30, I can remember thinking that's a lot, wouldn't pay that much for any record, lol. My top spend was for Roy Hamilton - panic, the guy also had Sam Dees for £20. that would be around 88 

Social source share

Interesting Topic this one,  as  i cough and splutter over my corn flakes at some of the descriptions of records on certain dealers sites, like,

"VIRTUALY UNKNOWN !" Is that in the real world or in the world of Virtual Reality, Would have thought it was known or it wasn't.

"Could be big if played out as never been played"  Oh really, I used to play it as did many other DJs back in the day.

Another one that makes me laugh, "ONLY KNOWN COPY", Really i have one of those sitting on my shelf and i know others who bought it and played it around the same time so how can you make that claim......or of course the obligatory "Only one or two of these around"  Surely unless you know, How can you say.

Oh and this one, "This would make a good cover up ?" with the name of Artist, Title, Label on display. (OHIPML)

All very entertaining i have to say, and some dealers?sellers are so good at it i'm sure they could sell fridges to eskimos,

We have to remember not everyone that buys SOUL records are a DJ, They are COLLECTORS so we don't get to see or hear the rare records in their collections

so who knows what is lurking around out there?

Yes it is a strange time at the moment for this record collecting, whether you are buying OR selling and as for the prices,I think this thread and the contributors makes it all speak for itself. 

Edited by RICK SCOTT
mistake
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

By definition an auction price is the price only one person was prepared to pay.  If you see some of the eBay items with 30+ people watching them how can the finish price of that be any guide to its value if only 1 in 30 thought it was worth that.  Its all a bit mad really.

Social source share

37 minutes ago, ged parker said:

By definition an auction price is the price only one person was prepared to pay.  If you see some of the eBay items with 30+ people watching them how can the finish price of that be any guide to its value if only 1 in 30 thought it was worth that.  Its all a bit mad really.

I would say it needs at least 2 people to generate a high auction end and on some cases there are plenty of other high bidders.

but I do agree a high auction on one example of something does not mean that is what it is worth

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!