Johnny Wyatt

I read somewhere today that Johnny from Johnny and The Expressions is Johnny Wyatt from Rochelle and The Candles and 'This Thing Called Love' and 'Hang Up The Phone' fame. Never knew that before. Can anyone confirm ?

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I read somewhere today that Johnny from Johnny and The Expressions is Johnny Wyatt from Rochelle and The Candles and 'This Thing Called Love' and 'Hang Up The Phone' fame. Never knew that before. Can anyone confirm ?

I have a pic of Johnny & The Expressions from the Josie era. Johnny Wyatt isn't among their membership. J and the E's were an East Coast group, so this seems like someone's fabrication of the truth, Sime....

TONE :D

PS: Oh yeah, and there's some overlap between their Josie 45s and those of Johnny Wyatt on Bronco, so I think that the chances of him flying from coast to coast to record would probably be on the slim side, too (wish I was still on the slim side, but that's a whole 'nother topic entirely laugh.gif ...

Social source share

Oldies.com seem to think they are one and the same....

From Los Angeles, California, USA, this vocal group comprised first tenor lead Johnny Wyatt (1938, Texacali, Texas; d. 1983), tenor lead Rochell Henderson, baritone Melvin Sasso, and bass T.C. Henderson. Their one hit, "Once Upon A Time" (number 20 R&B, number 26 pop), from 1961, was part of the early 60s neo-doo-wop phenomenon when doo-wop experienced a resurgence of interest on the charts. The novelty of the falsetto lead of Wyatt plus the name of "Rochell" gave many listeners the false impression that the group was led by a female. The follow-up, "So Far Away' (1961), likewise featured Wyatt's high pitched lead, but despite its excellence, failed to dent the charts. Other singles followed, both on Swingin" and Challenge, but the Candles could not return to the charts. Their last recording, a sublime remake of the Olympics' "Big Boy Pete" was released in 1964 to an indifferent world. Wyatt went on to become lead of the soul-era group Johnny And The Expressions, who hit the charts with "Something I Want To Tell You" in 1966. He also made some singles as a solo artist for Bronco during 1966-67.
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Sime, I can't find a whole group line up for J & the E's, but their lead singer's name is Johnny Matthews. No I don't think he's the same as Johnnie Mae Matthews, although oldies.com might!

TONE biggrin.gif

Social source share

Didn't see you post Chalky 'til now, sorry!

The info I saw came out of a book...can't think of the title now, was at someones house.

I have my doubts about it's accuracy to be honest. I've had a work in progress for about eight years to compile a CDR (it started off as a tape !) of Johnny's post Candles recordings and in all that time I never heard he was with the Expressions. The mate the CDR is for knows a lot more about Doo Wop than me...I'll ask him what he thinks.

Had a look in the book 'Rare Soul Bible' but no clues in there either...although it does have a very useful Diane Renay discography.

Tone, if you would write to your MP I'd be greatful.

Edited by Simon White
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Tone, if you would write to your MP I'd be greatful.

...He's a bit busy at the moment, opposing the opening of a new Tesco's on the Tolworth roundabout and preferring to see the bit of land that Tesco's want, and that's been derelict for the past 5 years, remaining a potential hangout for crackheads and other sundry local scum. Bur as soon as he delivers the definitive procalmation on the subject I promise I'll get back to you :shhh:

TONE

Social source share

...He's a bit busy at the moment, opposing the opening of a new Tesco's on the Tolworth roundabout and preferring to see the bit of land that Tesco's want, and that's been derelict for the past 5 years, remaining a potential hangout for crackheads and other sundry local scum. Bur as soon as he delivers the definitive procalmation on the subject I promise I'll get back to you :unsure:

TONE

Thanks Tone, much appreiciated.

Oh and if they do open a Tesco's would you get me a pint of semi skimmed?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!