the greatest NORTHERN soul artist of all time

Geeselad

17 minutes ago, geeselad said:

yeah groups included Dylan, good call the masqueraders, excuse my ignorance but was there just one group of that name in the 6ts?

Only one that i am aware of ? But there may have been others.

Group misspelt on "its the same thing" 45.

Social source share

55 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

Patti Austin for me !

Love her range of beat ballads to full on uptempo dancers 

Sheer Class 

C524A446-9B6A-4925-9508-236CB6813DD4.jpeg

827C5E6B-C7FF-46B3-9432-5077478E32F9.jpeg

"Cant forget the one i love" is a relly nice cheap 70s by her i've always liked.  It doesnt look like its on that CD.

Social source share

3 hours ago, geeselad said:

just been reading the article of Otis I wouldn't dispute his rights to greatest soul artist, but northern that's a different matter, who do you think the greatest is? I'm throwing my hat in the ring with a pretty obvious choice- Jackie Wilson, he doesn't have many rare tunes for sure, but in terms of shear volume he's gotta be top 5.

Weirdly i was asking myself the same question on the walk home last night and first thought was Jackie Wilson as well!  

Social source share

Don't forget the Motor City.

Temptations / Four Tops / Supremes / Contours / Brenda Holloway / Velvelettes / Marvelettes / Vandellas / Marvin / Tammi / Kim ... and many, MANY more all recorded an uncountable quantity of top quality "Northern" recordings, both released and unreleased.

Cheers
Mick

Did I mention Barbara McNair, or Stevie Wonder, or Jimmy Ruffin, or Chuck Jackson, or . . .

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Sadly the greatest would not be the richest...as most Northern 'qualified ' tunes would have bombed.. Hence why so many went back to day jobs after a brief recording career.

Edwin Starr at least made a kind of living from it, performed it most often, and My weakness is you and Agent double 00 soul are in my top 10..

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

7 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Don't forget the Motor City.

Temptations / Four Tops / Supremes / Contours / Brenda Holloway / Velvelettes / Marvelettes / Vandellas / Marvin / Tammi / Kim ... and many, MANY more all recorded an uncountable quantity of top quality "Northern" recordings, both released and unreleased.

Cheers
Mick

Did I mention Barbara McNair, or Stevie Wonder, or Jimmy Ruffin, or Chuck Jackson, or . . .

in terms of output its hard to beat many of the artists from the Motown stable

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Depends how you defy northern soul . ? Curtis Mayfield would be my choice based on influence for other artists some already mentioned previously. 🎶🎶

Social source share

16 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Sadly the greatest would not be the richest...as most Northern 'qualified ' tunes would have bombed.. Hence why so many went back to day jobs after a brief recording career.

Edwin Starr at least made a kind of living from it, performed it most often, and My weakness is you and Agent double 00 soul are in my top 10..

Ed

Edwin = good shout not forgetting 'i have faith in you' my fav of his (what price if there were only a dozen or so copies?)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

8 hours ago, rhino said:

THE DELLS top group always like there releases and i couldn't begin to start to list all there records but 2 of my personal favorites are "make sure" and "your song" awesome group only wish id got to see them perform  

"Make Sure" what a record, the best fiver you'll ever spend.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

As mentioned it is so difficult to come up with a greatest NS artist and there are some pretty strong candidates suggested already. Given that I can only have the one "greatest" I would go for Smokey/Miracles. Not immediately identifiable as a NS artist as in the Major Lance / Lorraine Chandler mould but he did make, and wrote, some outstanding tracks that were played on the scene. Apart from that, his works are the ones I always go back to when I start getting a bit bored with the NS stuff.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I can't personally name my number 1 but Jackie Wilson has always been my favourite solo male singer :-) Thinking back? I didn't get into the Northern Music until 1986...introduced to me by my ex...let's just say he was brave enough to sing the likes of Len Barry...1-2-3  from his bedrooom window...we both lived in the same enclosed court...we got talking and then he played 'Paris Blues - Tony Middleton - Paris Blues (hairs stood up on the back of my neck)...Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over, and a strange song which at the time I thought kinda sounded like Miss Piggy :huh: but it turned out to be Donnie Elbert LOL 

Edited by Venus
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Venus said:

I can't personally name my number 1 but Jackie Wilson has always been my favourite solo male singer :-) Thinking back? I didn't get into the Northern Music until 1986...introduced to me by my ex...let's just say he was brave enough to sing the likes of Len Barry...1-2-3  from his bedrooom window...we both lived in the same enclosed court...we got talking and then he played 'Paris Blues - Tony Middleton - Paris Blues (hairs stood up on the back of my neck)...Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over, and a strange song which at the time I thought kinda sounded like Miss Piggy :huh: but it turned out to be Donnie Elbert LOL 

Dornie Elbert, and would get my worst soul singer of all time vote, and he awful

Social source share

I agree with lots of the artists mentioned, really hard to pick just one ( The dells might be my suggestion) but i'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned my 2nd choice Bobby Womack.

Social source share

6 hours ago, gogs said:

I agree with lots of the artists mentioned, really hard to pick just one ( The dells might be my suggestion) but i'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned my 2nd choice Bobby Womack.

I was going to mention Bobby Womack honest I was Gogs, but I've been stuck out on a boat. :pirate:  :) :hatsoff2:

Social source share

2 hours ago, davetay said:

It was on Columbia, this CD is her Coral stuff.

Off course it is my mistake.

i checked the track list but never looked a title of compilation before commenting.

still its a good one to check out wither way.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, dylan said:

Off course it is my mistake.

i checked the track list but never looked a title of compilation before commenting.

still its a good one to check out wither way.

Yeah it's a great CD, all her releases on the label and two unreleased as well. 

She did some nice stuff on Columbia and other labels, maybe someone will do another compilation one day.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!