Jump to content
  • Sign Up
geeselad profile photo

the greatest NORTHERN soul artist of all time

All About the SOUL geeselad

 
Posted

just been reading the article of Otis I wouldn't dispute his rights to greatest soul artist, but northern that's a different matter, who do you think the greatest is? I'm throwing my hat in the ring with a pretty obvious choice- Jackie Wilson, he doesn't have many rare tunes for sure, but in terms of shear volume he's gotta be top 5.

  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If this question included groups then masqueraders.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Patti Austin for me !

Love her range of beat ballads to full on uptempo dancers 

Sheer Class 

C524A446-9B6A-4925-9508-236CB6813DD4.jpeg

827C5E6B-C7FF-46B3-9432-5077478E32F9.jpeg

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, dylan said:

If this question included groups then masqueraders.

yeah groups included Dylan, good call the masqueraders, excuse my ignorance but was there just one group of that name in the 6ts?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
35 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

Patti Austin for me !

Love her range of beat ballads to full on uptempo dancers 

Sheer Class 

C524A446-9B6A-4925-9508-236CB6813DD4.jpeg

827C5E6B-C7FF-46B3-9432-5077478E32F9.jpeg

ofte taken for granted, ace voice.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

59f0991eccf92_ScreenShot2017-10-25at15_00_12.thumb.png.37bacc4c6b992e47e635cc818fd26b9f.png

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
17 minutes ago, geeselad said:

yeah groups included Dylan, good call the masqueraders, excuse my ignorance but was there just one group of that name in the 6ts?

Only one that i am aware of ? But there may have been others.

 

Group misspelt on "its the same thing" 45.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
55 minutes ago, The Tempest said:

Patti Austin for me !

Love her range of beat ballads to full on uptempo dancers 

Sheer Class 

C524A446-9B6A-4925-9508-236CB6813DD4.jpeg

827C5E6B-C7FF-46B3-9432-5077478E32F9.jpeg

"Cant forget the one i love" is a relly nice cheap 70s by her i've always liked.  It doesnt look like its on that CD.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Got to be Major Lance!

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, geeselad said:

just been reading the article of Otis I wouldn't dispute his rights to greatest soul artist, but northern that's a different matter, who do you think the greatest is? I'm throwing my hat in the ring with a pretty obvious choice- Jackie Wilson, he doesn't have many rare tunes for sure, but in terms of shear volume he's gotta be top 5.

Weirdly i was asking myself the same question on the walk home last night and first thought was Jackie Wilson as well!  

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Don't forget the Motor City.

Temptations / Four Tops / Supremes / Contours / Brenda Holloway / Velvelettes / Marvelettes / Vandellas / Marvin / Tammi / Kim ... and many, MANY more all recorded an uncountable quantity of top quality "Northern" recordings, both released and unreleased.

Cheers
Mick

Did I mention Barbara McNair, or Stevie Wonder, or Jimmy Ruffin, or Chuck Jackson, or . . .

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Major Lance for me.

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Barbara lynn, virtually every record is superb.

Rob

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Chuck Jackson gets my vote. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Gene Chandler and Edwin Starr are up there with the best of them, but as been said very difficult to pick just one Artist/Group with all the greats that have given us this wonderful music. :) :hatsoff2:  

158783752.jpg

93328737.jpg

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Gene Chandler for me

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Sadly the greatest would not be the richest...as most Northern 'qualified ' tunes would have bombed.. Hence why so many went back to day jobs after a brief recording career.

Edwin Starr at least made a kind of living from it, performed it most often, and My weakness is you and Agent double 00 soul are in my top 10..

Ed

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Frank beverly for me, but hes probably not everyones cup of Tea !

If that's what you wanted & because of my heart are right up there 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

jnr walker and the allstars

 

lawrence

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Don't forget the Motor City.

Temptations / Four Tops / Supremes / Contours / Brenda Holloway / Velvelettes / Marvelettes / Vandellas / Marvin / Tammi / Kim ... and many, MANY more all recorded an uncountable quantity of top quality "Northern" recordings, both released and unreleased.

Cheers
Mick

Did I mention Barbara McNair, or Stevie Wonder, or Jimmy Ruffin, or Chuck Jackson, or . . .

in terms of output its hard to beat many of the artists from the Motown stable

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

from the west coast gotta add Jackie lee as a worthy of top ten.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

One of my favourite groups from when I first heard Baby Do The Philly Dog, The Olympics. I love the lyrics of many of the songs, Particularly I'll Do A little Bit More, Secret Agents, Same Old Thing.

 

Paul

Share this forum post


soul source url
Guest Spain pete profile photo
Posted

Depends how you defy northern soul . ? Curtis Mayfield would be my choice based on influence for other artists some already mentioned previously. 🎶🎶

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Major Lance or Jackie Wilson or Edwin Starr.....  ooooh..... it's a three-way dead heat for me!

 

  • Up vote 1
  • Listening 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
16 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Sadly the greatest would not be the richest...as most Northern 'qualified ' tunes would have bombed.. Hence why so many went back to day jobs after a brief recording career.

Edwin Starr at least made a kind of living from it, performed it most often, and My weakness is you and Agent double 00 soul are in my top 10..

Ed

Edwin = good shout not forgetting 'i have faith in you' my fav of his (what price if there were only a dozen or so copies?)

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Bettye Swann - The Money singles - all killer! Most self-penned.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

THE DELLS top group always like there releases and i couldn't begin to start to list all there records but 2 of my personal favorites are "make sure" and "your song" awesome group only wish id got to see them perform  

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Much to many to mention, So many So good, to hard a question to me anyway to give a safe and solid answer

ML

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, SoulStu said:

Bettye Swann - The Money singles - all killer! Most self-penned.

Another under rated artist

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Jackie wilson 👍

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Most of the artists mentioned have had hit records both here and abroad - for a true Northern Soul great - Lorraine Chandler has to be up there !!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, rhino said:

THE DELLS top group always like there releases and i couldn't begin to start to list all there records but 2 of my personal favorites are "make sure" and "your song" awesome group only wish id got to see them perform  

"Make Sure" what a record, the best fiver you'll ever spend.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, epic said:

Most of the artists mentioned have had hit records both here and abroad - for a true Northern Soul great - Lorraine Chandler has to be up there !!

get your point, true as in never hit commercial success, but that's a whole other thread daddyo.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Billy Butler and the Artistics have got to be up there somewhere.

Dx

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 14:16, The Tempest said:

Patti Austin for me !

Love her range of beat ballads to full on uptempo dancers 

Sheer Class 

C524A446-9B6A-4925-9508-236CB6813DD4.jpeg

827C5E6B-C7FF-46B3-9432-5077478E32F9.jpeg

One of the great soul singers. Loads of fantastic material after the 60s

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Roy's beginning to Panic,

he's not had a mention yet on this here thread!  :wicked:  :thumbsup:  :hatsoff2:

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

As mentioned it is so difficult to come up with a greatest NS artist and there are some pretty strong candidates suggested already. Given that I can only have the one "greatest" I would go for Smokey/Miracles. Not immediately identifiable as a NS artist as in the Major Lance / Lorraine Chandler mould but he did make, and wrote, some outstanding tracks that were played on the scene. Apart from that, his works are the ones I always go back to when I start getting a bit bored with the NS stuff.

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

I can't personally name my number 1 but Jackie Wilson has always been my favourite solo male singer :-) Thinking back? I didn't get into the Northern Music until 1986...introduced to me by my ex...let's just say he was brave enough to sing the likes of Len Barry...1-2-3  from his bedrooom window...we both lived in the same enclosed court...we got talking and then he played 'Paris Blues - Tony Middleton - Paris Blues (hairs stood up on the back of my neck)...Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over, and a strange song which at the time I thought kinda sounded like Miss Piggy :huh: but it turned out to be Donnie Elbert LOL 

Edited by Venus
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Venus said:

I can't personally name my number 1 but Jackie Wilson has always been my favourite solo male singer :-) Thinking back? I didn't get into the Northern Music until 1986...introduced to me by my ex...let's just say he was brave enough to sing the likes of Len Barry...1-2-3  from his bedrooom window...we both lived in the same enclosed court...we got talking and then he played 'Paris Blues - Tony Middleton - Paris Blues (hairs stood up on the back of my neck)...Jimmy Radcliffe - Long after tonight is all over, and a strange song which at the time I thought kinda sounded like Miss Piggy :huh: but it turned out to be Donnie Elbert LOL 

Dornie Elbert, and would get my worst soul singer of all time vote, and he awful

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Dells or Artistics...take ya pick...close the thread lol 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Cleveland Robinson for me love the echo in his voice :wub:

Boy, Love Is A Trap, Mr Wishing Well, Francine, They Say, Work Song; he's another self penned artist!

singer/writer/producer/label owner

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
update
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

I agree with lots of the artists mentioned, really hard to pick just one ( The dells might be my suggestion) but i'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned my 2nd choice Bobby Womack.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, gogs said:

I agree with lots of the artists mentioned, really hard to pick just one ( The dells might be my suggestion) but i'm really surprised that nobody has mentioned my 2nd choice Bobby Womack.

I was going to mention Bobby Womack honest I was Gogs, but I've been stuck out on a boat. :pirate:  :) :hatsoff2:

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Bobby womack is fantastic one of my favourite artists.

Well done for putting that right and getting him on here.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
On 10/25/2017 at 15:13, dylan said:

"Cant forget the one i love" is a relly nice cheap 70s by her i've always liked.  It doesnt look like its on that CD.

It was on Columbia, this CD is her Coral stuff.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, davetay said:

It was on Columbia, this CD is her Coral stuff.

Off course it is my mistake.

 

i checked the track list but never looked a title of compilation before commenting.

 

still its a good one to check out wither way.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 minutes ago, dylan said:

Off course it is my mistake.

 

i checked the track list but never looked a title of compilation before commenting.

 

still its a good one to check out wither way.

Yeah it's a great CD, all her releases on the label and two unreleased as well. 

She did some nice stuff on Columbia and other labels, maybe someone will do another compilation one day.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Edwin Starr everyday. Time , Way over there, Back street , 25 miles. The list goes on. Fantastic.

Hugh.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

 I really would go To The Ends Of The Earth if someone would mention our Tony on this here Soul Source Thread!  :rofl:  :thumbsup: :hatsoff2:  

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

    • 67 posts
    • 3583 reads
    • Dayo
    • 12 Nov 2005
    • 3 posts
    • 1203 reads
    • Simon M
    • 05 Aug 2008
    • 26 posts
    • 2393 reads
    • 02 Jan 2009
    • 5 posts
    • 863 reads
    • Matt Male
    • 03 Jan 2010
    • 3 posts
    • 1105 reads
    • Pete S
    • 19 Oct 2010
    • 111 posts
    • 4361 reads
    • jumpinjoan
    • 26 Apr 2012
    • 74 posts
    • 3517 reads
    • mike
    • 22 Aug 2008

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.