• Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I know a few:

Voices of East Harlem-No, No, No-Elektra "Right On Be Free" LP

Christian People-Andre & the Disciples-Liberty

Three Little Fishes-Bessie Griffin-Liberty (big on the popcorn scene, too)

Didn't It Rain-Evelyn Freeman-United Artists (massive spin in Pittsburgh for years!)

and here's my all time classic opener...

I'll Be Waiting-The Angelic Choir-Savoy--I've opened many sets with this one. It's an absolute killer! The song builds with a spoken intro with each instrument coming in one by one. I'll try to post a sound clip.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

I know a few:

Didn't It Rain-Evelyn Freeman-United Artists (massive spin in Pittsburgh for years!)

I'll Be Waiting-The Angelic Choir-Savoy--I've opened many sets with this one. It's an absolute killer! The song builds with a spoken intro with each instrument coming in one by one. I'll try to post a sound clip.

KTF

Jas

link

Can you post up a sound file or two?

Social source share

Rance Allen-Reasons AWESOME!!

A couple of recent modern/inspirational tunes from the last couple of years are:-

Chestnut Brothers-Travellin on

Rance Allen-Stay With Me

Cliff Jones-Haven't You Heard

Deitrick Haddon-Stir The Gift (one of the best tunes this year)

And a couple of classics-

Brothers In Christ-God's Armour

The Winans-Let My People Go

Praise the the lord!!

Pete

Social source share

I know a few:

KTF

Jas

link

Wow, someone actually mentioned 'Didn't It Rain - Evelyn Freeman'. I think it's great & recently found A copy, as had it from 'talkin' trash' (Greasy R&B with attitude '54 - '63, so the cover says) comp.

Played it to a few people into R&B type stuff, but they all seemed to find it a bit too much, though they generally preferred the other side 'Water boy', which sounds like Pigmeat Markham, but doesn't really go anywhere. Don't think it would go down well at a Northern night.

Heard the Cassietta George the other week & thats really good too, but had already gone

Mike

Social source share

At Fish Ain't Bitin' in Manchester a couple of months ago, Steve Cato played an incredible 45 by Ben Branch on (I think) Checker: a version of the standard "Motherless Child". It was one of the greatest records I've ever heard in a club. Deep but uplifting, with an enormous swell of sound and great presence. Fans of the late 60s Dells sound would definitely appreciate this.

Over the years I've spun a few gospel things out: Glenn Jones & The Modulations on Savoy; Don Bryant & A Chosen Few; and a personal favourite: "Not My Home" by Mike Heyward on I Am (do any modern soul fans know this lp? this bloke is one of the best unknown vocalists ever).

Social source share

Don't forget Mary Love Comer's 'Sandbox' and all the other 80s/90s tracks on her Kent CD ('The Price' is slow but utterly brilliant). If we do a comp we'll get Tony Clayton to do the sleevenotes.

Ady

PS I know Clara Ward was a gospel singer but are there any religious refernces in 'The Right Direction', I can't remember feeling very holy when I danced to it.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!