Doris Willingham on Jay Boy.

Guest dicklincoln72

Guest dicklincoln72

Still busy cataloging my collection and came across this one, it is a promo single the first release on the Jay Boy label.  I seem to remember that she later changed her name to Doris Duke and released one of my favourite Albums I'm A Loser on Canyon that I also own. So to save me looking back through old B&S mags where I think I read this is it true?

Social source share

8 minutes ago, dicklincoln72 said:

Still busy cataloging my collection and came across this one, it is a promo single the first release on the Jay Boy label.  I seem to remember that she later changed her name to Doris Duke and released one of my favourite Albums I'm A Loser on Canyon that I also own. So to save me looking back through old B&S mags where I think I read this is it true?

Doris Duke is an American gospel and soul singer, best known for her 1969 album I'm A Loser. Wikipedia
:thumbsup:
Also known as: Doris Willingham; Doris Logan
Social source share

23 hours ago, dicklincoln72 said:

Still busy cataloging my collection and came across this one, it is a promo single the first release on the Jay Boy label. 

Sorry I can't help with your question, but I wondered if any one else thought the same as me about this record.

"You Can't Do That" is a great record until just over half way through, then the production just seems fall away and it loses direction!

I thought maybe it was the UK mix, but the USA copy is the same.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

8 hours ago, dicklincoln72 said:

The doris duke album is a fantastic record.

i didnt dig any deeper into her recordings under other surnames so all this other information here is new to me.

Social source share

Anyone noticed the fault in the recording of You Can't Do That? Right after the intro, about 0:10 into the song the recording seems to slow down for a second. Like a warped record. I had a few copies of the german Jayboy release and they were all like that. So I guess the fault was in the actual master tape?

See for yourself, at 00:12 of the YT vid:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest son of stan

I've got it on US JayBoy. I thought JayBoy was a UK imprint for licensed US releases. So what was going on there? Are there any other US JayBoys? 

(Agree about it petering out halfway through...Not a great record).  

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

9 hours ago, son of stan said:

I've got it on US JayBoy. I thought JayBoy was a UK imprint for licensed US releases. So what was going on there? Are there any other US JayBoys? 

(Agree about it petering out halfway through...Not a great record).  

Likely the other way around. My theory is this was just another subsiduary label for the USA London group as they have many. Then this Doris Willingham got picked up by President records for a UK release with a licence to use the label that in the States was simply discontinued after a later second release by the Hogs formerly a UK release for Jay Boy N°5.

Don't forget that the Equals already had their international fame and that those releases in the USA got licensed through the USA London records group. After Doris Willinngham, UK Jay Boy served as "generic" UK production release label before becoming the "dedicated" soul label for the President group with the emergence of the "rare" soul scene from the "underground".

Social source share

On 10/27/2017 at 22:14, Benji said:

Anyone noticed the fault in the recording of You Can't Do That? Right after the intro, about 0:10 into the song the recording seems to slow down for a second. Like a warped record. I had a few copies of the german Jayboy release and they were all like that. So I guess the fault was in the actual master tape?

See for yourself, at 00:12 of the YT vid:

mine does the same 10 seconds in slows down enough to hear it .i thought it was mine that had a fault  .it was slightly warped from storage in my mums loft for years while we went traveling in our bus .in Holland .pity good track was popular  in the early 1980s 

Social source share

UK Jay Boy 45's were usually lifted off a US copy of the relevant 45 and then Euro released versions taken from the UK copy ... so a fault on the US version was 'spread' across Europe & then into Sth Africa, India, Australia & N Zealand if the single had legs.

Guess that means that the US Jay Boy label came first. US 45 version of this was a Nov 68 release, UK one also Nov 68 .... so maybe it was a simultaneous thing (with a US acetate used to source the UK Jay Boy copy). It was played in UK soul clubs from the day it was released here.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!