Millie Jackson - A House For Sale

Geoff

• Replies 33
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

I recently paid £28 for mine on Spring (the first edition copy with an A on both sides and no vertical writing)

I had set a limit of £30 but had seen people wanting £40 for a copy , including people selling at soul nights on the sales tables

something is worth what others are willing to pay and not a penny more

Personally I dont believe its worth a penny more than £30 , hence my limit , which I stuck to

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

The double "A" side copy, i would say £30-£40 in mint condition. but prices are just "off the scale" at the moment ; Check out "the comedy sale off the day" thread

Social source share

Guest son of stan

Ultra-common. Fiver at any niter in the 80s or about £2 in any old general second hand record shop in those days. Loads of copies exist. I'd say actually worth about £15 max now.

Got a copy of the LP for £2 at a car boot a few weeks ago. Superb LP but sold by the truck load on release. £20-£30.

Edited by son of stan
Social source share

On 28/10/2017 at 18:18, Geoff said:

could undertand if a record is getting plays in a lot of clubs but haven't heard this out for ages.

in that case you havent been to the clubs here in manchester or the north west

I cant really remember any soul night that it hasnt been played that I have been to this year

its certainly played a lot at denton , newton , audenshaw , walkden , prestwich , rochdale , blackburn for starters

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

16 hours ago, son of stan said:

about £2 in any old general second hand record shop in those days. Loads of copies exist. I'd say actually worth about £15 max now.

Is that the horrible green plastic moulded UK 45? Great flip side.

Social source share

Some interesting comments here. My copy has There You Are on the flipside, I'd forgotten how good it is. In my opinion she was at her best on slower songs. I saw her at the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road back in the day with my wife. She talked a lot about a certain sexual practice but perhaps this isn't the thread for that, lol.

Recently bought her version of This Is It on a 45, fine record imo.

I think my copy of AHFS is an original issue as it's got the A on the House For Sale side, according the John Manship British issue book the repress has it on both sides. But as it's a present it wouldn't matter that much I guess. Actually she'd probably know but hopefully wouldn't hold it against me.

SoundsOKEH mentioned clubs in the Manchester area where you'd hear it. Was at Walkden with my friend recently, didn't hear it on my visit but it was a memorable trip for several reasons, don't think I'll dance there again, lol.

Social source share

On 03/11/2017 at 11:12, Geoff said:

Some interesting comments here. My copy has There You Are on the flipside, I'd forgotten how good it is. In my opinion she was at her best on slower songs. I saw her at the Dominion Theatre, Tottenham Court Road back in the day with my wife. She talked a lot about a certain sexual practice but perhaps this isn't the thread for that, lol.

Recently bought her version of This Is It on a 45, fine record imo.

I think my copy of AHFS is an original issue as it's got the A on the House For Sale side, according the John Manship British issue book the repress has it on both sides. But as it's a present it wouldn't matter that much I guess. Actually she'd probably know but hopefully wouldn't hold it against me.

SoundsOKEH mentioned clubs in the Manchester area where you'd hear it. Was at Walkden with my friend recently, didn't hear it on my visit but it was a memorable trip for several reasons, don't think I'll dance there again, lol.

Really? I thought it was always a double a sider uk single? 

Edited by noss
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
On 11/3/2017 at 12:25, ady croasdell said:

Buy the Kent 45 Geoff, you'll get Garland Green 'Come Through Me' on the flip!

Isn't the version on your 45 slightly different Ady, or have I remembered that wrong?

Surely people need to have both in their collections?

Social source share

On 03/11/2017 at 11:12, Geoff said:

Millie Jackson.  Live and uncensored.  LP from the 70.s.  Sexually explicit possibly got banned. Can't remember but she has a great voice.

Steve 

Social source share

• 8 months later...

Advice please.

In terms of the origional first issue of AHFS which of the following statements relates to the first issue?

"recently paid £28 for mine on Spring (the first edition copy with an A on both sides and no vertical writing)"

"I think my copy of AHFS is an original issue as it's got the A on the House For Sale side, according the John Manship British issue book the repress has it on both sides".

Regards.

Drew.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2017 at 16:30, soul shrews said:

Yes indeed noss great flip :thumbsup:

Cheers Paul

Fantastic B side.

My first copy of the UK issue on green must have had this on the flip, but the it was stolen from our flat in Deptford in the early '80's when I stupidly left it on the 'music-centre' (along with a cassette tape of a night at Wigan that was in the tape player). Bastards nicked our duvet as well, which we think they used to lower the prized goods down from our first floor flat and had it away with them.

At the time I don't think I'd even played this side, even though I was getting more and more interested in B-sides. Luckily I now have another basic UK green copy but even better, found a lovely US DJ copy of it (There You Are) where the plug side is 'Bad Risk'.

In case you're interested; the insurers were happy to pay out on the state of the art music-centre (those days when spreading all the features like radio, tape and record player sideways was the way to go, none of this stacking concept), and even on the record itself which I think I managed to persuade them was worth around £12 in early '80's money. But I was devastated to lose my very poor quality copy of what I think was a C120 tape live from Wigan with me chopping tracks all over the place to try and record the stuff I liked at the time. I couldn't persuade them it was worth anything at all. I've kept the case all this time as a memento.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!