Felice Taylor

Roburt

Felice Taylor's solo recording career started with a bang, got her international success & was over in a flash .... By all accounts, she upset US radio DJ's and hence, the management at her US record label and was quickly dumped.

But not before, 3 or so of her LA recordings (masterminded by guys like Barry White with help from Frank Wilson and assocs) had hit the bigtime in the UK (and from there, in Europe also). She visited the UK to promote her President 45's, made TV appearances (does video of any still exist ... is the "Winter Outside" video a UK effort ?). She even recorded here, with Eddie Grant being her producer ... but she returned to the States and instantly disappeared off the music scene.

A few questions ..... did she make any UK club appearances, singing live ... She spent some weeks over here but I'm sure she didn't play any northern venues. Maybe she did a couple of London clubs, but I have no details of which (if she actually did).

Why wasn't I Feel Love Coming On" released in the US ??     

Why wasn't a US cut track utilised as the A side of her last UK 45, why get Eddie Grant to produce a poppy cut in a London studio instead ??

I believe that the cut of "I Feel Love" included on the BOSS SOUL CD is different to the UK 45 track, why ??

Who decided to cut Linda Carr on the song & release that version in the US ?BarryWhiteFeliceTylrMont.jpg.48dbc0dd0f5bf3e884d174edfbdcb540.jpg

?

It seems that she's still around in LA, perhaps a UK promoter could fetch her back over here for a live show or two. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Believe she appeared at Clouds in Derby but can't remember the year - wasn't there but the story goes that she collapsed on stage halfway through her second song.

Rumours abound regarding cause of said collapse !

Shelly also corroborated the same story 

Social source share

With regard to her upsetting DJ's ..... it's said that when she went on radio stn visits to help promote her Mustang releases, she acted very high-handed, was bad mannered and basically 'upset the DJ's' she had interviews with. So, after she'd left the stn, they refused to play any of her records again .... not something that's gonna please the guys back at your record company.

So "I Feel Love Coming On" was never released by Mustang in the US and they allowed her to sign with Kent Records. Her version of the song (a Barry White composition) was produced by Barry White, so he must have been mad to stop one of his own songs being released. The Linda Carr version of the song followed about 6 to 8 months later (in April 68), did escape in the US and both sides of this Ranwood 45 featured Barry White written songs ... although I have no idea if he was actually directly involved with Linda's version, it seems he had some input (hence her cutting 2 of his songs to form her 1st Ranwood 45 -- Ranwood being run by Randy Wood of Mira / Mirwood Records)..   

• Up vote 1
Social source share

She appeared at the Saville Theatre in London in the series of Sunday evening concerts put on by Brian Epstein who had leased the theatre in 1965, initially to put on plays. I was a regular visitor to the Sunday concerts and remember Felice. If my memory is correct she sang three songs, think they included I Feel Love Coming On, It May Be Winter Outside and I'm Under The Influence Of Love, but I may be wrong, don't hold me to it. It must have been in 1967.

At the time I thought she was okay but to me heavily influenced by Diana Ross. Just my opinion of course.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

11 minutes ago, Geoff said:

She appeared at the Saville Theatre in London in the series of Sunday evening concerts put on by Brian Epstein who had leased the theatre in 1965, initially to put on plays. I was a regular visitor to the Sunday concerts and remember Felice. If my memory is correct she sang three songs, think they included I Feel Love Coming On, It May Be Winter Outside and I'm Under The Influence Of Love, but I may be wrong, don't hold me to it. It must have been in 1967.

At the time I thought she was okay but to me heavily influenced by Diana Ross. Just my opinion of course.

Thanks for that. I went to see a show @ the Saville ---- Garnett Mimms & Jimi Hendrix ... though we walked out before Hendrix had finished his act (not to our liking, playin the guitar between his legs, throwing it on the floor & setting fire to it, no really decent songs) .... most Sunday night concerts (when Epstein was running it) would have one or more of the Beatles in attendance (in a private box).  

Social source share

On 04/11/2017 at 12:25, Geoff said:

Her voice was a bit too weak imo, but still love the inst flip of I Feel Love Coming On.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

The 3 versions from 67/68 of "I Feel Love Coming On" ....

Lori Hampton was working with Bob Keene as late as October 68. By then, Felice had enjoyed 2 US 45's on Kent and cut further tracks for the label with Eddie Grant in the UK.

The Bunny's from the Playboy Club in London also cut a version, as did Rusty Greenfield (think that was a UK 'Embassy type cheap LP' track originally -- which was then released in Germany) and a French singer also cut a version of the song.   

FeliceTaylor44x.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi Philip ,

I worked on her Wikipedia page awhile back as the original entry was a bit basic. Her real name was Florain Corella Flanagan and she was a few years older than advertised for her tour in the UK.

Her entourage included her husband Johnny B Taylor who doubled as her manager. I gathered that Barry White stopped working with her after some disagreements with her management.

She died age 73 in 2017. 

Edited by Dukeofburgundy
Correction
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Interesting thread this.

I was just perusing an excel file of a music catalogue and came across 2 Felice Taylor tunes which I can't identify:-

"Where Can I Turn To" and "Your Heart And Soul"

Does anyone know these two tunes and, if so, when were they made and who produced them? I have reason to believe that they're from the Barry White era but can't clarify as yet. 

Ian D 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!