Gerri Hall - Who Can I Run To

Guest James Trouble

It would be an even better record if it didn't sound off centre......

have you listened to ward burton ,  paulette, and jimmy wallace ,one of the reasons they are rare is because some were pressed way off centre ,and too bad to distribute, but what a great sound , for the ones that came through that were playable.and a joy to dance to......... tremendous !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

Quite popular on the early eighties mod scene.Funnily enough Peter Daley PMS me a year ago...Kev I'm looking to sell this How much.? I say auction it.He got 600 quid for it.I hear it at stoke and pm him...which is when I got the news.

He sure did sell it, I bought it off him.

He is a mate and we thought it was a great price for both of us.

The reason he was asking a few peeps about the price was after a night out,

I asked him what happened to his copy, I couldn't believe he still had it.

So I told him to give me a price and I would buy it.

It is in Stunning condition and the rarer mix with the drum / bongo intro. 

And one of my all time fav records

It wasn't a year ago tho, It was at least 2 maybe 3 years ago now

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

I traded quite a few records with soul sam for the version with drum roll @ Bathgate all-nighter in the 90's...sure he was asking £250(£75 was scored out,so was maybe just getting picked up on?) but the records I traded didn't cost me more than £120(can triple that now tho,lol)...nobody I spoke to there knew it when they asked what it was.

my mate then got a copy that weekend of moorer for $10 or $20,lol.

then goldmine had a copy for sale a few weeks later @ £100.

ended up selling mine for a £100 not long after,think was getting worried I paid to much & thot better get rid,then price started to rise to £400+.lol.

Social source share

The matrixes can't be the exact same on both issues. They differ in some way.

The matrixes can't be the exact same on both issues. They differ in some way.

Hi Seb, I have just sold my last copy that had the drums and backing singers last week and the rawer version as I call it I sold July/August last year!! as I recall there was no Identifying difference  between the two copies!!  only way was to play them!! Atb John.

Social source share

Hi Seb, I have just sold my last copy that had the drums and backing singers last week and the rawer version as I call it I sold July/August last year!! as I recall there was no Identifying difference  between the two copies!!  only way was to play them!! Atb John.

The stampers for the two issues were made from two different "mothers".

There simply must be some difference, if not in the numbers/etchings then at least the amount of turns or width/space between the last groove and the label will differ between the two pressings.

Social source share

ive got the drum start with backing vocal version [...] it reads 174-1719 scratched in the run out groove

Does the matrix have a '1' after the 1719  ?

No number 1  after the matrix number Julian

Looks like mine's the unwanted version biggrin.png as the matrices quoted by me are on my copy.

The matrix numbers scrated in the run of has the -1 after them  [...] mine is without the drumrole.

OK, I had a look at past posts in this thread and it seems like:

"Drum roll intro" and double-vocal version has got matrix numbers:

174-1719

NON-"drum roll intro" and single vocal version has got matrix numbers:

174-1719-1

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Bought my copy of Gerri Hall in Wigan record bar for £3 in 1977.  

I did not know it, but liked Donna King on the same label, so took a chance and it paid off!

Social source share

These things find their level, as I said many years ago when this topic started, the price is false and inflated, and that double track drum roll version is really poor compared to the other version.

Social source share

Richard Searling lent it to me at Ashton Tiff's in around 1975.....it has been knocking about the scene for decades. He also had stuff like Difosko, Robert Tenard etc; think he was just starting to get in a bit more with Soul Bowl. 

Social source share

OK, I had a look at past posts in this thread and it seems like:

"Drum roll intro" and double-vocal version has got matrix numbers:

174-1719

NON-"drum roll intro" and single vocal version has got matrix numbers:

174-1719-1

Hi Seb, Sorry about that I could have sworn they both had the same matrix!! :facepalm: old age Eh!!

Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

These things find their level, as I said many years ago when this topic started, the price is false and inflated, and that double track drum roll version is really poor compared to the other version.

A shade off 500 quid for a VG plus copy of the more common cut, That's a great result imo.

I personally disagree with your opinion of the rarer mix with drum, I think it totally changes the record for the better.  To my ears.

However......I really love both versions

Social source share

A shade off 500 quid for a VG plus copy of the more common cut, That's a great result imo.

I personally disagree with your opinion of the rarer mix with drum, I think it totally changes the record for the better.  To my ears.

However......I really love both versions

The second one just lacks the 'oomph' of the other one, for me anyway

Social source share

Like I said earlier, this version doesn't command the same money as the other. One of which just sold on this forum for more than twice that price.  :yes:

Social source share

Bought my copy of Gerri Hall in Wigan record bar for £3 in 1977.  

I did not know it, but liked Donna King on the same label, so took a chance and it paid off!

Same thing happened with a mate of mine, but he bought the Sonatas for peanuts because he liked Donna King and it was on the same label. He's still got it, mint as well.  :ohmy:  :huh:

Social source share

There appears to be a lot more of the rarer take in circulation than the cheaper version IMO. A Soul Source member sold the bongo variant for a four figure sum last week sending me to You Tube to compare the two versions. I have the bongo-twin vocals version but only realised this a few months ago after several comparisons. The bongo-less version is also really good, particularly if you are familiar with Gerri singing on the Legends Of Rare Soul Volume 1 DVD. From the comments on this thread, there are plenty of copies around so the price for the 'rarer' version may be inflated as Pete suggests. So, could the bongo-less, single vocal version be the scarcest?  The bongo version is marketed as the more desirable, but after this thread, I'm not convinced. Either way, the plainer version is now on the wants list scoring highly for simplicity.

Social source share

I never said anything about one being rarer than the other. What I said was the bongo intro version is the one that most people want. It's definitely not a rare record (either version), but it's popularity means that people are willing to pay mucho money for it. I would say that the Sonatas is by far the rarest thing on the label, a proper rarity. The Gerri Hall, there must be hundreds.

Social source share

If that record had been properly listed (on both eBay UK and US, with a soundclip, with some marketing on forums etc.) it would've gone much higher. It was only listed on eBay UK and didn't turn up in searches on the US site no matter how you went about it.

I'm with Pete on this one, the issue that sold on eBay above is the only relevant version in my opinion but horses for courses I guess.

Social source share

If that record had been properly listed (on both eBay UK and US, with a soundclip, with some marketing on forums etc.) it would've gone much higher. It was only listed on eBay UK and didn't turn up in searches on the US site no matter how you went about it.

I'm with Pete on this one, the issue that sold on eBay above is the only relevant version in my opinion but horses for courses I guess.

I just feel a bit sorry for people who get told that a certain version is the most sought after by a record dealers sales talk, believe it and  then pay way over the odds for an inferior version when they could get the better version a lot cheaper.  When people realised they got the double tracked version they usually tried to move it on as quickly as possible.

Social source share

Can't agree with that Pete. I couldn't give a flying f**k what any dealer says, I have my own opinion and I much prefer the double tracked version. Once again it sounds much better when played out, and that's the reason I bought the record, to play out. The other version is probably nicer to listen to at home, but that wasn't my criteria for buying it.

Social source share

Can't agree with that Pete. I couldn't give a flying f**k what any dealer says, I have my own opinion and I much prefer the double tracked version. Once again it sounds much better when played out, and that's the reason I bought the record, to play out. The other version is probably nicer to listen to at home, but that wasn't my criteria for buying it.

We don't have to agree mate, it's just opinions, I have the vice-versa view of yours that's all  :thumbsup:

Social source share

And to be honest....it isn't a good Northern record.

It was known, but was never anything coz it wasn't up to the standard of the time!

Sorry!

Beg to differ. It is a very good Northern record. Big 100 Club spin before the Millennium. Like most good records eventually have their day, this one arrived later than some and at a time the scene needed an infusion of good, fresh sounds.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

No it isn't......it was a below average record back then.

Nuff' said!

I happen along with many think it is a sublime mid tempo New Orleans R&B 45 

I appreciate the fact that you do not like the record, But I love it as a great record. 

But I am not approaching the record from a 70s northern soul all-nighter point of view  (That's sort of how your coming over to me anyway)

I am a massive fan of R&B, Latin, Mod type stuff , So were probably fooking poles apart where taste sits

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!