Question

Ian Parker

9 hours ago, IanP said:

Should a DJ have to pay to get in a venue he/she is spinning records at? 

Some should! :D

Seriously though - no.....Although, I used to run a Thursday night event many moons ago, and I had to charge the punters £2.00, and the DJs £1.00 to cover the cost of the hall (Only one DJ moaned)

In hindsight though, maybe I should have charged £2.50, and not charged the DJs. But this was a time when some were at School, or on young people's low wages - It was a very low key event, just somat to do in the week.

Len :thumbsup:

Social source share

9 hours ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Just curious at the initial question Ian - have you as a DJ been asked to pay into events you're playing at or have you as a promoter asked a DJ to pay into events you've put on? 

I was asked to pay entry... I also turned up to spin at a nameless venue, three weeks ago , to be informed that ' we don't pay the DJs here' 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, IanP said:

I was asked to pay entry... I also turned up to spin at a nameless venue, three weeks ago , to be informed that ' we don't pay the DJs here' 

That's pretty shit with regards to having to pay entrance fee. I know when I promote I always pay the DJs and put them up as well if they're traveling, as I appreciate their time and effort. Most places where I've played have done the same but not all, if I can kip in a spare room or they sort a hotel I'm happy as it reduces my travel costs. But that's a whole different mine field, I saw some outrageous demands by a so called "big name" DJ on FB last week, another one tying to live off his reputation from the 70s.

Social source share

4 hours ago, Steve S 60 said:

I was at a venue the other week where there were literally more DJs than punters.  I felt a bit left out as I didn't have a record box.

This is quite common at venues in the south mate. Especially if you're not playing bog standard 500 oldies. One venue I went to had three non DJ people, and being one of the three I spoke to the other couple and turns out the husband was a DJ too. So technically only one non DJ amongst the public attendees. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Seems a bit regional to me.mate         , soul music is a universal language 🎶🎶✌

2 hours ago, Steve G said:

This is quite common at venues in the south mate. Especially if you're not playing bog standard 500 oldies. One venue I went to had three non DJ people, and being one of the three I spoke to the other couple and turns out the husband was a DJ too. So technically only one non DJ amongst the public attendees. 

Social source share

4 hours ago, Steve G said:

Everyone's a DJ nowadays 

Social source share

On 10/11/2017 at 23:17, IanP said:

Ian there was a mistake on behalf of you coming to Dj steve was told to let you no And didn’t I can’t apologise no more and thanx for coming as I said on the night just a mistake no one gets paid we are trying to get the venue going and it’s working free admission and give away free cd to all now and then all said I’m sorry for the misunderstanding all the best Jazz carter lane soul club 

Edited by jazz
Social source share

On 11/10/2017 at 09:48, IanP said:

The question was  "should a DJ pay"

Regardless of times etc he turns up

no he should not pay or his partner i stay at every venue i play at only have left early to play at allnighter on same nite  i would be very disappointed in the club if the did charge me or my wife .i think thats just rude & very unsoulfull

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!