State of the Union??!!!x

Sooty

Hi all!x Sorry I haven't popped in for over a year I think....been busy UK wide doing this and that in the real world...oh....and trying hard to remember from 29 years ago how often to change a nappy and the like due to a very late addition to my family in the form of a baby Gurl named Lexy who is now 22 months old...with a ready made Bro of 29...Siss of 27 and is an Aunty to a 5 and 3 year old........and it kicks off when the Furby comes out among em all with Aunty Lexy dominating proceedings...hehe!!!!x

I have been to a couple of venues and National events to keep my hand...and ears in!x However....for all my ramblings I use my FB page and stick with that these days as far as 'social' stuff goes on the net and occasionally pop into FB forums covering the Soul scene for a bit of banter and chillout!x So sorry for missing birthdays and the like if I did...and hope you are all getting from the scene what you seek and hope for!x I have added a Birthday song for all of you whom I have missed...sung by Lexy.....on it!!x

My reason for popping in is that I have got into a luvly chat with friends who live in Detroit. They have music interests and connections in different genres to mine in general and I began to explain my interest in Detroit and its music industry from a Soul perspective! I was just about to explain our Northern Soul scene and its history to date....and thought i'd post my reply here......especially as I have many Soul friends UK wide who may be interested in my reply!!x
Have a happy day all....and THANK YOU for your continued positive/happy remarks re the 'Togetherness' Documentary! I have the Wigan 30th Anniversary video master in full on my editing computer waiting for me to have a spare day to upload onto the net for the first time ever...by me....and that will be done...for free for all for Xmas......so have a good un!x
@@
~
X

------------------

Unfortunately Janeene my exposure to the many Motown/Soul stars over the past 25 years either DJing/hosting with them or chauffeuring them when visiting the UK leaves me with more than just their 3 minute song for which we all appreciate!x I know many of their truths....of the environment the women in particular grew up in....and to be honest......watching a 'show' of them doesn't reflect my understanding of the 'genre'...and their commercial tunes don't do it for me really!x In essence....I have too much information.....sigh...X The Soul scene over here who appreciated the non commercial songs is now the longest running 'underground' music scene in the UK!!x It's roots began in the late 60's and 'raves' using their music...much coming from the Detroit backstreets...proliferated Nationwide during the 70's!x We call it 'Northern Soul' because in the main the tunes began being spun up the North of England in the beginning!x The scene was dying slowly through the 80's as the many 'kids' of the 70's got married/kids etc....like me!x However...like me...in the early 90's our kids became 15+ and didn't want to be seen with their parents.....so we began going out to doo's again....sparse as they were back then!x

I started my Soul night which ran for 7 years in '93...and many more began springing up around the UK run by folk who loved the music and wanted to revisit their youth! Today....25 years later.....we are now Granddads and Nannas.....and 1000's are heading out UK wide to revived...yet dignifiedish....Soul nights playing the generally unknown tunes by the populace!!!x

In fact the scene has more supporters today than it ever has had......although the downside to that is the 'underground' element for which many of us had pride in...is now becoming 'commercial'...and songs that were 'commercial' are creeping in....and some are playing our prided records off CD's!!!x That....was never part of my scene since aged 14.....and pride myself on playing records to this day....whatever genre you want!!x I don't attend Soul doo's anymore other than National Charity events....love the music and always will....but if I want to have a 'party'......then i'd rather spin me other collection of classic 50's/60's/70's from all genres....for 7 hours at a wedding or summink and sling half a dozen well know Northern Soul songs in there!!!x I always went out on the scene to enjoy myself with good music and like minded folk....that ethos....remains!x Today....every day....hour...there are now telly ads featuring 'our' music in which the general populace had never heard before....yet we've been dancing to them since the 70's!!x Bob Geldof...and even Johnny Rotten all sold out eventually....init!!!x

Here is a film that I made Janeene which explores our scene for folk like you who have no clue about it!!x 1.5 Million have watched it Globally in the past 2 years since I put it on line! There is a lot of our music played in it and as I say....many of the tunes were made by kids in your locality....and many of them don't even know their records are revered 50 years later! They made them stoned...one Summers day....and forgot about it in the main!!!x Enjoy!!x Oh....and Lemmy of Motorhead RIP....LOVED Northern Soul too......I kid you not!!!x
@@
~
LUV
SOOTY 
X

22815241_10154703951141307_3837542650745519172_n.jpg

togethervid.jpg

wigan30th.jpg

20170827_145259.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

20 hours ago, geeselad said:

Was lemmy really a fan sooty? Did he have a hot box stored away with his collection of rare nazi  memorabelia? 

I can say without hesitation he certainly was Geeselad....and the 'evidence' is confirmed on the Wigan 30th as good friend and 'hard core' Soulie features on there in an interview I did with him.....his job then...and for 20 years??......roadie for Motorhead!!!x He sat in the gantries Worldwide sorting the light show out from a laptop....headphones on listening to Northern as Lemmy Aced the spade from the stage....!!!x Tony collected records wherever touring in the US and Lemmy always took an interest in them....and had tapes made of the music!x So....yup!x I can name hundreds of 'stars' that do too from all aspects of life....many of whom i've 'turned' over the years!!x We are not alone....!!x

Now...I will add a 'happening' that occurred this year which gave me some fantastic personal satisfaction!x I first heard Northern as a 5/6 year old....'66/7. Me Mam had one of those wire racks of records....argggghhhh...I know...but...there was about 20 records in there...Conway Twitty...Gene Pitney...Elvis....Beatles....and....as her name was Pamela....she had Wayne Fontanas Pamela Pamela!!! I played the records often....both sides......so at 6ish...I heard Something Keeps Calling Me Back.....and discovered nearly 10 years later when attending me school Youth Club Friday disco that it was reeled into the Northern Soul sound!!! So..........imagine when i met Wayne Fontana....possibly the first ever 'singer' i'd heard....and had had in my life for 50 years!!x I told him so too....and he was well chuffed....and have become good friends!x Here is a chat i had with him at The Printworks and a little film of the event....for myself and posterity...well chuffed....and you know what...he can still sing it as was....respect!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY 
X

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Thanx Patto and all...X I do miss popping in and can say the same for many other personal/chillout forums/websites featuring interests I have. In essence...I devoted myself to some National tragedy's in the past 2 years.....and a moral 'crusade' against some National outfits protecting peedo and other degenerate types of abuse. Politics plays a part too...and carries responsibility. I travel 2000 miles a week UK wide on average visiting 20 +_ Towns/Citys and Valleys......I luv it don't get me wrong...but I have to remain 'focused'!x I only see my new Baby Gurl Lexy once a week.........more than what I saw my first two 28 years ago!!! Some of that was down to the Northern scene back then....!....I digress!x Got it all in order....but ....it takes me chil;lout time up and leaves me little time to 'engage'....and I don't like to be ignorant.....the net is a two way thing....and I like to reply. However....I find if I don;t say owt...or get involved...it don't happen....!!!!x  With that...gotta say me bit in anuver thread.........!....see what I mean.......it can take your life over.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....been there done that.....7 years HARD CORE.....and no regrets....X Great to be with you all again and will pop in for Xmas with a link to the free Wigan 30th link......and thank Mike and all at Soul Source for keeping on this facility for us all...X

@@
~
LUV

SOOTY

X

19511060_10154411715321307_1750053270673905617_n.jpg

sherlock1.jpg

20171025_164326.jpg

grenfellappealheader1.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Found this I made for the intended 'release' last Xmas...!!x The trailer came from a warped video which is all I had at the time!!!x It WILL be up in full for this one.....X

Definitely outta here and will be back for Xmas....!x By the way Geeselad...Nick Knowles of SOS DIY fame LUVS his Northern too...!!x He came to me with £20 Million and 100 workers for the Grenfell folk...he knew i'd helped organise/co-ordinate the people surrounding Grenfell since day 2 and since his approach I have found the dosh/donations to match it from Global contacts. So it will be an ongoing telly project for the next few years....and I err.....imagine his luv for it will proliferate....a kind of assisted DIY....to save his Soul!!!x As I say above......priorities take me elsewhere....and Grenfell is me 'chillout'....honest....but I do miss you all....and I will leave Lexy to say it for me....she is my alpha and omega....and there is nothing left to say.....!x

@@
~
LUV
SOOTY
X

p.s...the VHS copys are not for sale....!!x Kev Roberts sold out within 4 days I think I recall...all 750 copys back in 2003...!!x The film is going up for free for all...enjoy!X

30th1.jpg

19420727_10154390340626307_9112922712797743259_n.jpg

Edited by SOOTY
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!