Best Double Sider

Tubbs

Good thread this how about....

Harry Starr - Another Time Another Place/Step Into My World - End

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

link

Ooh yeah! Almost forgot about this! Hast to be one of the best shades.gif

A few more:

Eugene Smiley - "Yes it's you" - K-City - Same both sides, need I say more? :thumbsup:

Mel Britt - "Running back"/"Love invented misery" - FIP

Eddie Holand - "1,000 Tears" - Bell - Can't remember flip, but has to be one of best slowies gowin' :thumbup:

(I know this is the second time up, but..) Thelma Lindsay - "Why weren't you there"/"Prepared" - Thelma

Al Williams - "I am nothing"/"Brand new love" - La Beat

Inticers - "Since you left"/"I got to find..." - Baby Luv

Calvin Grayson - "Loves just begun"/"Willing" - In - The latter being my all-time fave!

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Already many faves of mine were mentioned so I just add some more I was jsut spinning a few momenst ago

JT Rhythm "All I Want Is You/My Sweet Baby" Palmer

Jimmy Mack "My World Is On Fire / Go On" Palmer

Lester Tipton "Go On" La Beat

btw, dig out your Vivian Carroll and Pamela Baitey...top notch beat ballad stuff on both :thumbsup:

Social source share

pearl woods " something touched me /i'm gonna stick with you MALA

stomping r'n'b on one side and mid tempo magic on the other ....... a multi purpose record for me mod do A , soul do B :thumbsup:

Davie

Social source share

Already many faves of mine were mentioned so I just add some more I was jsut spinning a few momenst ago

JT Rhythm "All I Want Is You/My Sweet Baby" Palmer

Jimmy Mack "My World Is On Fire / Go On" Palmer

btw, dig out your Vivian Carroll and Pamela Baitey...top notch beat ballad stuff on both  :thumbsup:

link

Couldn't aggree more my friend! "Go On" - absolutely awesome trck!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Can anyone post up a clip of the JT Rhyhm? Got it on CD somewhere but can't for the life in me rermber what it's on?! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Couldn't aggree more my friend! "Go On" - absolutely awesome trck!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

link

Didn't Go on by Jimmy Mack and Look at me by Dave Hall have the same backing?

One more that deserves a mention that I will own in the future by hook or by crook is Morris Chestnut - Too darn soulful / You dont love me anymore - Amy.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Ooh yeah! Almost forgot about this! Hast to be one of the best :thumbsup:

A few more:

Eugene Smiley - "Yes it's you" - K-City - Same both sides, need I say more? :thumbsup:

Did this ever really get played ?Current value ? Bought mine off Poke many years ago when still covered up..

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Rose Batiste "I miss my baby / Hit and run"

Jimmy Mack "My world is on fire / Go on"

Lorraine Chandler "What can I do / Tell me you're mine"

Joe Hicks "Feel funky / I got to be free"

Luther Ingram "Exus trek / If it's all the same"

Major Lance "You don't want me no more ? Wait 'till I get you in my arms"

Debbie Taylor "Just don't pay / I don't wanna leave you" :thumbsup:

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

I cant believe that nobody's mentioned :-

MAGNETICS - HEART YOU'RE MADE OF STONE / LADY IN GREEN - BONNIE

MAGNETICS - COUNT THE DAYS / WHEN IM WITH MY BABY - SABLE

Surely two of the all-time greatest double headers.

Gaz

Social source share

Jackie Beavers on Revilot does it for me (dont own it), keep changing my mind on favorite side, gone back to I Need My Baby now, Richard S at his peak !!

Also Dynamics Lights Out/ou make Me Feel Good, not both Northern but probably in my top ten of slabs of soul for the deep side!

Cheers

Jock

PS Is it my imagination or did Detroit produce a far higher percentage of double siders than anywhere else?

Social source share

What about Al wilson when you love your loved too and the awesome

who could be lovin you and Reuben howell  you cant stop a man in love and when you take another chance on love.

link

Andy what label is Al Wilson on?? Seem to remember the title but cant place the record at moment, love all his stuff.

To keep on thread how about the daddy of soul Eddie Parker Im Gone/Cryin Clown, is CC on a cd anywhere? If not may have to buy my first boot in years!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

My 2 fave double siders out my collection:

The Embers - I wanna be (your everything) / First time - JCP

Thee Midniters - Make ends meet / You're gonna make me cry - Whittier

Love em!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Andy what label is Al Wilson on?? Seem to remember the title but cant place the record at moment, love all his stuff.

To keep on thread how about the daddy of soul Eddie Parker Im Gone/Cryin Clown, is CC on a cd anywhere? If not may have to buy my first boot in years!!

Cheers

Jock

link

Jock you can get CC on Triple B with the wonderful "I need a true love" on the flip shouldn't cost you more than £15 :D:D:lol:

John

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Difficult to choose my favourite double sider of the moment but here's a couple but by no means a definitive list

Masterpiece - Love Affair/We're gonna make it - YPSI

Decisions - Stop playing around/do you love me - Essex

Powerhouse - You turn me on/Come into my world - Daystar

21st Century - Shadow of a memory/Coming right back - Dot

Sy Hightower - I know you're leaving me/Wild love - Karmen

Trouty

and as a bonus the record of the night (single sided sadly)

Black Ivory - Just leave me some - Today

nice and cheap but gorgeous :lol::D:D

Social source share

dont forget

shadows

anthony + delsonics

atlantics

young brothers

arabians

7th ave aviators/frankie karl

phonetics /dont let love

phonetics/pretty girl

cashmeres / dont let the door

accents / who you gonna love

captions/ hit it

commands

epsilons/ shrine

sheppards

les chansonettes

Social source share

Jock you can get CC on Triple B with the wonderful "I need a true love" on the flip shouldn't cost you more than £15  :D   :D   :lol:

John

link

HI John, just realised not only do I have that 45 I put CC on the most recent midtempo swap cd here so its not even been back on the shelves that long!! Staying in is killing my memory!!

Totally agree on the other side, would sound just right on one of your camping weeekends, (thats the weekends you spend in a tent rather than any slight on your masculinity!).

Difficult to choose my favourite double sider of the moment but here's a couple but by no means a definitive list

Masterpiece - Love Affair/We're gonna make it - YPSI

:D   :D   :D

link

Some nice choices there Mr Trout, as would expect. Whats the story on the Masterpiece 45, is that getting plays?

Was one of a batch that soul ledgend Andy Whitmore and his lovely wife Suzanne put me on to at end of eighties, all were great records but particlularly liked this, tried it out a few times in the dark ages but not much interest.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

You were obviously very drunk when we played it at the Orwell then Jock :lol:

It doesn't get as much play as it should IMVFHO but we certainly play it out quite a bit and i know Dean Johnson is fond of dusting it off when the oportunity arrises as do a few others. Value wise it will have gone up considerably since you bought it :D

Trouty

Social source share

Soul city m8 a tenner should buy it

link

Cheers Andy, only have one of his soul city 45's so will search this out as I love Al Wilson.

You were obviously very drunk when we played it at the Orwell then Jock :lol:

It doesn't get as much play as it should IMVFHO but we certainly play it out quite a bit and i know Dean Johnson is fond of dusting it off when the oportunity arrises as do a few others. Value wise it will have gone up considerably since you bought it :D

Trouty

link

I am excused that night as if you remember we arrived just as you finished due to Arthur getting lost in Wigan!!

I got it for a tenner, along with the Bernard Williams on Spectrum for same price!!

Probably off topic now but did you get dates for Orwell in 2005, might just make another trip down

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Loads of quality already mentioned, but my fave double header for 2 storming powerhouse detroit cuts has to be Rose Batiste Hit & Run/I Miss My Baby on Revilot - pure class and adrenaline  :D !

Others that spring to mind:

Jimmy Beaumont - Never Loved Her Anyway/You've Got Too Much on BANG

Bobby Sheen - Something New To Do/I May Not Be What You want on WB

The Innersection - Let Me Luv Ya/I'm In Debt To You on Group 5

Tony Hestor - Watch Yourself/Just Can't Leave You on Karate

I love buying records with 2 good sides - feels like you're getting an extra record for free - and you are!!!  :D

Tons of great double headers I don't have (but would love!) either - flip over the Cashmeres (Hem), Dena Barnes (Inferno). Ty Karim - You Really Made It Good To Me (Romark) - there's tons of them. Long live the double header!!!

Rich

link

Definately the Tony Hestor...........Just Can't Leave You - WHAT A KILLER TRACK :D and September Jones on Kapp - I'm Coming Home and the B side which I can never remember but it's great :lol: Jo
Social source share

got a few already mentioned but unless I've missed it posted by somebody else my best has to be Gwen Davis  ''my man dont think I know'' b/w ''I cant be your part time baby no more ''

2 great tracks

link

never played this side will have to flip it next time i get my records out

kev s

Social source share

never played this side will have to flip it next time i get my records out

kev s

link

always flip em mate,some hidden gems on the flips,problem is remembering what they are called cos everybody just says the ''other side of so and so '' if you like quality mid tempo then you're in for a nice surprise.

same with the Artistics ''this heart of mine''the B side is good but overshadowed by the A side.....IMO

Social source share

I cant believe that nobody's mentioned :-

MAGNETICS - HEART YOU'RE MADE OF STONE / LADY IN GREEN - BONNIE

MAGNETICS - COUNT THE DAYS / WHEN IM WITH MY BABY - SABLE

Surely two of the all-time greatest double headers.

Gaz

link

hit the nail right on the head mate , the come no better. what's the flips to the other two like?

Social source share

hit the nail right on the head mate , the come no better. what's the flips to the other two like?

link

Magnetics I assume,

The b side of I Have A Girl on RASEL was Love and Devotion, I used to like it, a bit of a plodder rather than one to grab you buy the testicles!

Did play it out a couple of times but general theory was it wasnt up to much, must have been me again!!

Cheers

Jock

PS Lenny are you coming over to Edinburgh tomorrow? Also is it true you are having a xmas bash next week at Caley Soul, am dead keen to get over to one.

Social source share

There are so many really great double siders.

Still amazes me how many people still don't bother playing the b sides!!

Anyway, here's a few of my fave's & no doubt i'll be back with a few more....

Appointments - I saw you there/Keep away - Delite

Billy Kennedy - Sweet Things/Groovy Generation - Thelma

Sandy Golding - You are Everything/When you're all alone - Masterpiece

Majority of the stuff on Wheelsville,Thelma,D-Town etc have 2 good sides.

But i gotta say one of my absolute faves is the awesome

CHARLES BRANDY-CANT GET ENOUGH/WITHOUT YOUR LOVE-BLUE CAT

Live in hope evey time i go out that i might hear it again.........

So anybody out there fancy making this girl's Christmas?

Loads, Joan

Social source share

Magnetics I assume,

The b side of I Have  A Girl on RASEL was Love and Devotion, I used to like it, a bit of a plodder rather than one to grab you buy the testicles!

Did play it out a couple of times but general theory was it wasnt up to much, must have been me again!!

Cheers

Jock

PS Lenny are you coming over to Edinburgh tomorrow? Also is it true you are having a xmas bash next week at Caley Soul, am dead keen to get over to one.

link

jock, i cant make it to edinburgh today ,ive got stuff on.

yes next friday, caley souls on at the woodside, [bit of a rush job for xmas]guests; mikey collins[friday street] , frank murphy[radio magnetic], with martin and myself. the next one after thats jan 22nd[ ma birthday] with andy dennison.

back to double siders, what about;

silky hargreaves - keep loving me / your too good.

Social source share

Elgins - 'Street Scene' b/w the sublime 'You found yourself another fool'

on Valiant.

Beauty......

Mace

link

Absolutely. Elgins is an alltime fave

Just got a copy of Willie Harper - You You - been looking for ages for it flipped it over to the Plug Side - Soda Pop - Absolutely shit hot !!!!!!

Stamford thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Nothing spectacular.... just a few solid double siders from me boxes....

Soul Brothers Six - I'll Be Loving You / Some Kind Of Wonderful(Atlantic)

Jr. Wells - I'm Gonna Cramp Your Style / You Oughtta Quit That (Bright Star)

Etta James - Tell Mama / Rather Go Blind (Cadet)

Fontella Bass & Bobby McClure - You'll Miss (Me When I'm Gone) / Don't Jump (Checker)

Amanda Love - You Keep Calling Me By Her Name / I Don't Mind(Chess)

Bobby Bland - Honey Cild / Ain't Nothing You Can Do (Duke)

Buddy Ace Nothing - In the World Can Hurt Me / I'ts Gonna Be Me(Duke)

Kelly Bros - Not Enough Action / That's How I Know My Baby Loves Me(Excello)

Jimmy Hughes - Hi-Heel Sneakers / Time Will Bring You Back(Fame)

Willie Mitchell - That Driving Beat / Everything's Gonna Be Alright (Hi)

Jimmy "Preacher" Ellie - I'm Gonna Do It For Myself / Go Head On(Jewel)

Margie Hendrix - Restless / On The Right Track (Mercury)

Spyder Turner - I Can't Make It Anymore / Don't Hold Back (MGM)

Supremes - Love is Like An Itching In My Heart / He's All I Got (Motown)

Edwin Starr - Stop Her On Sight(SOS) / I Have Faith In You (Ric Tic)

Packers - Hole In The Wall / Go 'Head On (Pure Soul Music)

Barbara West - I'm A Fool For You Baby / Oh Little Boy! (Ronn)

Edwin Starr - Time/Running Back & Forth (Tamla Motown)

Taurus & Leo - I Ain't Playing Baby / Going Out The World Backwards(Velvet Sound)

Social source share

Hi there,

some of my fav' d'siders............

ERNESTINE EADY-THE CHANGE/THAT'S THE WAY IT GOES-SCEPTER/JUNIOR

BILLY BUTLER-THANKU BABY/BURNING TOUCH OF LOVE-BRUNSWICK

RAY POLLARD-THE DRIFTER/LET HIM GO(AND LET ME LOVE U)-UA

DOUG BANKS-KEPT ON DANCIN'/SINCE U WENT AWAY-ARGO

cheers,

Carl.

Social source share

Here's a few more after digging in the box:

Vibrations - Cause Your Mine/I Took An Overdose - Epic (OK, CYM is flogged to death, but the flip is a great funky stormer, if you like that kinda thang! and I do!)

Stanley Mitchell - Quit Twistin' My Arm/Get It Baby - Dynamo (Not a lot needs to be said about B side, but Quit Twistin' on the A is a great track, sounds familiar - was it played out much?)

Voicemasters - If A Woman../You've Hurt Me Baby - Bamboo (Cheap as chips, both fantastic, I prefer YHMB, whereas Trouty likes the flip, get it if you ain't got it!!)

And one I want heap bad at the mo' is Chubby & Turnpikes I Didn't Try/I Know Inside Story - Capitol (Sheer class - nuff said)

Jamie

Social source share

Don't think I can nail the favourite double-header in my collection but one that's always been big in me backroom is the Volumes sublime 'That same old feeling' backed with that naughty romper 'The trouble I've seen'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!