The last record you would sell

Kegsy

If you were selling your collection what would be the last 2/3 records you would part with ?. 

Mine would probably be 

Eula Cooper Let our love etc

Celeste Hardie

Alex patton on Uk

Richard Temple

I think ..... and I know there are 4 but I am using topic starter privilege.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, gointoagogo said:

I'm selling all my records over the next 6 months apart from one box that holds about 60. Most of the ones I'm keeping are so cheap they are not really worth selling but out of the other ones the very last one to go would be Linda & The Pretenders "Believe Me"  

Did you see the pic I posted of her when I did her obituary post ?

Stunning lady

Andy

Social source share

57 minutes ago, Andy Rix said:

Did you see the pic I posted of her when I did her obituary post ?

Stunning lady

Andy

I did indeed Andy and what a great article it was (and your CD sleeve notes)

And yes she was stunning and a voice like the proverbial songbird!

I love the fact that she has the phrase "Believe Me" (which isn't that very common in songs) in "She Went Away"

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
On 14/11/2017 at 18:53, Kegsy said:

If you were selling your collection what would be the last 2/3 records you would part with ?. 

Mine would probably be 

Celeste Hardie

Alex patton on Uk

Richard Temple

Kind ov a strange question,Kegs...what on earth made you think to this? By "collection",I presume from your selection,to be Northern Soul focused...? Are you goin' by sentimental reasons memories etc or by monetery thoughts? Selling a collection is a very distressing,depressing morose thought !!

Social source share

1 hour ago, UPTITE U250A said:

Kind ov a strange question,Kegs...what on earth made you think to this? By "collection",I presume from your selection,to be Northern Soul focused...? Are you goin' by sentimental reasons memories etc or by monetery thoughts? Selling a collection is a very distressing,depressing morose thought !!

That's the point, what is it that makes people hang to certain records, above others of equal musical quality ?. 

Social source share

That's a great question a bit like name your top three, what would be there one day could be gone the next, I've been giving it some thought since you first posted and still haven't come up with an answer. I do know it would be down to gut instinct as I held each record in my hand slowly  whittling the pile down , I can see in my minds eye piles of records in line gradually reducing, keep to the right, sell to the left. There's now tunes spinning in my head, Gladys Knight Just Walk in Shoes, memories of a magic night in Manchester early seventies, Look What You Done to My Heart rescued from the tip by my mates Dad who was a dustman, Moody Woman ,Little Misunderstanding, Brooks and Jerry being lifted out of a brown box in Ralphs Records aghhhh..... I've gotta stop thinking about it

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
On 18/11/2017 at 12:27, Kegsy said:

That's the point, what is it that makes people hang to certain records, above others of equal musical quality ?. 

Sentimental reasons in the end,because if you have decided to sell up then for whatever reasons -obviously holding back some based on rarity would be a no brainer.I am a no brainer type,sorry to say. Ok to add a few from many,many gems I regret sincerly I let go,that still after all this time,give me nightmares...all from my collection...

Billy Woods -Let me make you happy-Sussex promo (no hiss)

Mel Williams -Sweet Girl Of Mine-Buddah

Ujima -I'm Not Ready -Epic

Tom Greene -Endless Confusion -Action uk

Tomangoes -I Really Love You -Washpan

John&The Weirdest -Can't Get Over These Memories

Servicemen -Are You Angry -WindHit

Jimmie Raye -Philly Dog -KKC

The Fabulous Jades -Come On And Live -RIKA

Celeste Hardi -Your'e Gone -Reynolds

Ty Karim -Lightin' Up -Romark black label

Ivorys -Please Stay -Despenza

Doni Burdick -I Have Faith -Sound Impression

Little Willie Faulk -Look Into My Heart -MH

Billy Prophet -What Can I Do -Sue single sided promo

Bobby Treetop -So Sweet So Satisfying -Tuff white promo

Eddie Parker -Love You Baby -Ashford white promo

Bits N Pieces -Keep On Running Away -Nasco dj

Larry Clinton -She's Wanterd -Dynamo white promo(ex "Chips")

Yvonne Baker -Didn't Say A Word -Parkway promo

Lou Pride -I'm Comin' Home -Suemi

Cecil Washington -I Don't Like To Lose -Prophonics

Herb Ward -Strange Change -Argo promo

Larry Wright -Sweet Sweet Kisses -A Go Go

Ray Pollard -This Time -Shrine

I'm stoppin' now Kegs before the urge to slash my wrists...couldn't limit to 4 but resisted 400 ! So you only have 4 you would hold back ?? No Bernie Williams...?

Social source share

5 minutes ago, UPTITE U250A said:

I'm stoppin' now Kegs before the urge to slash my wrists...couldn't limit to 4 but resisted 400 ! So you only have 4 you would hold back ?? No Bernie Williams...?

I sold my absolutely stone mint Bernie Williams Demo to Adey Potts, a long time ago, oh well never mind.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
On 14/11/2017 at 19:39, gointoagogo said:

I'm selling all my records over the next 6 months apart from one box that holds about 60. Most of the ones I'm keeping are so cheap they are not really worth selling but out of the other ones the very last one to go would be Linda & The Pretenders "Believe Me"  

Absolutely AWESOME. Always liked this from first hearing it,sadly I never came across a copy...

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
2 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

I sold my absolutely stone mint Bernie Williams Demo to Adey Potts, a long time ago, oh well never mind.

errrr....I kinda knew.... !! that's why I asked !!!

3 that I let go BEFORE I sold my collection that I sincerly regretted and would keep no matter what now :

Professionals -Did My Baby Call -Groove City

Del-Reys -Destination Unknown -Tampete

Jackie Beavers -I Need My Baby -Revilot

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kegsy said:

The trouble is, I don't know who most of the people on here are in real life.

I'm sure I see lots out 'n' about I know, but don't realize who they are on here - People should wear Soul-source badges with their 'handle' on when out :wink:

Len (Also known as Len) :thumbsup:

P.s - Still not got an answer to your original question - I haven't slept well all week because of it :excl:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
33 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

Hi kegsy I'm just selling a few and it's tough. Frankie and Johnny went this week so that's way down the list. Eula cooper and celeste hardie would def be up there as would 

Lenny Curtis nothing can help you now

the sensations demanding man. 

Best Paul T

I forgot I had the Lenny Curtis on End...wish I had kept it....a lifetime of collecting lost in the folly of depression.

Jack Reacher says "Never go back"....but...

Social source share

1 hour ago, LEN said:

I'm sure I see lots out 'n' about I know, but don't realize who they are on here - People should wear Soul-source badges with their 'handle' on when out :wink:

Len (Also known as Len) :thumbsup:

P.s - Still not got an answer to your original question - I haven't slept well all week because of it :excl:

I'd say most of em Len coz you'd actually have to find someone to buy them off you :D:rofl:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I love ALL my records.  There are a few thousand I could get rid of, and still survive.  But, if I were to start selling them off, If it ever got down to the last 1000 or so, it would already be so disastrous and anguishing that it wouldn't help to keep just that few.  I'd have a difficult time in deciding which 1000 to keep, and it wouldn't have been worth it to keep that few to play or even look at, if most of their label run issues are missing.  They all go well together in a collection.  They are all like "old friends"  I used to be able to remember where and when I got each one of many thousands.  I've lost some of that memory, already.  But it would rip my heart out to see them go, being sold off in installments, as I need money.  I hope I never NEED to sell them off to survive.  I might rather pull the plug on the old oxygen tank before that could happen.  Luckily, I'm and artist and writer, and not a longshoreman/stevedore or day labourer.  So, I can possibly continue to earn money drawing into my nineties or early 100s, as long as my eyesight holds out, and my hands are not too shaky (and then I can move to computer animation as long as I can even punch keyboard keys with my nose :lol:); and I can write stories, as long as I can think coherently, and what I write still reaches the emotions of the reader enough to bridge the generation gap (e.g. isn't based on outmoded ways of thinking, but spans all generations).

• Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, RobbK said:

I love ALL my records.  There are a few thousand I could get rid of, and still survive.  But, if I were to start selling them off, If it ever got down to the last 1000 or so, it would already be so disastrous and anguishing that it wouldn't help to keep just that few.  I'd have a difficult time in deciding which 1000 to keep, and it wouldn't have been worth it to keep that few to play or even look at, if most of their label run issues are missing.  They all go well together in a collection.  They are all like "old friends"  I used to be able to remember where and when I got each one of many thousands.  I've lost some of that memory, already.  But it would rip my heart out to see them go, being sold off in installments, as I need money.  I hope I never NEED to sell them off to survive.  I might rather pull the plug on the old oxygen tank before that could happen.  Luckily, I'm and artist and writer, and not a longshoreman/stevedore or day labourer.  So, I can possibly continue to earn money drawing into my nineties or early 100s, as long as my eyesight holds out, and my hands are not too shaky (and then I can move to computer animation as long as I can even punch keyboard keys with my nose :lol:); and I can write stories, as long as I can think coherently, and what I write still reaches the emotions of the reader enough to bridge the generation gap (e.g. isn't based on outmoded ways of thinking, but spans all generations).

Hi Robb   to save you the agony of deciding on the last 1000 I'll pop round and take the whole lot in one go. I will of course expect you to cover my expenses for doing you this enormous service and relieving any associated anguish. 

Social source share

42 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Hi Robb   to save you the agony of deciding on the last 1000 I'll pop round and take the whole lot in one go. I will of course expect you to cover my expenses for doing you this enormous service and relieving any associated anguish. 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Social source share

I cant imagine selling my collection (other than odd bits i dont much care for) so it would have to be because of severe financial situation. The decision making involved would be so stressful that having thought about i would do a LIFO method i.e. the most recent purchase would go first and work back until i was left with my first 'northern' record purchased sometime in the mid seventies, being a highly warped Frankie Valli your ready now (not even the original i was led to believe it was at the time) that i dont even like.

(& i've just realised that i have sorted of cheated as i would exclude my 'marvin gaye collection' which is going nowhere)

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
On 21/11/2017 at 17:50, RobbK said:

I understand what you are saying and feeling about your records.

I think now,the generation gap is already,long,long gone and so wide as today bearing no resemblance to our halçyon era of Northern Soul.Time changes our social behaviour.Back in the late 60's and 70's English life was different then,factories,poor youth,fashion,music,and "scenes".Northern Soul was underground,there was no choreography -it was spontaneous,driven by the music.Living for the weekend,the way we dressed for that magical weekend.Spending hard earned pittance of wages on records,travelling,and clothes.Working class youth and just ordinary,somehow just fitted perfectly in with the Northern Soul Scene.Impossible to repeat those conditions in future generations.Each generation is different,they can't feel,experience,what went before.We are not alike.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
On 14/11/2017 at 18:53, Kegsy said:

Mine would probably be 

Celeste Hardie

Alex patton on Uk

Richard Temple

Can you say what is your reasoning behind choosing those 4 records in particular?

Social source share

40 minutes ago, UPTITE U250A said:

Can you say what is your reasoning behind choosing those 4 records in particular?

Probably just that they have been my number 1 faves at varying times, along with lots of others, that probably don't invoke the same memories. I might add Johnny Sayles to the list if forced.

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
15 minutes ago, Kegsy said:

Probably just that they have been my number 1 faves at varying times, along with lots of others, that probably don't invoke the same memories. I might add Johnny Sayles to the list if forced.

You are right on -they don't evoke the same memories,different years -different places and atmospheres I guess...which VaVa's tunes would be the last you would sell?

Social source share

23 hours ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

I’d keep my Cash McCall when you wake up, purely just because it’s me and my wife’s song...

Now you've thrown that thought into the mix I'll have to stick with Johnny Moore You Fixed it For Me, either that or suffer the wrath of she who must be listened to :)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 years later...

Well Ed not a Northern Sound but the sound that reflected my Dogtooth dresses and one record that no matter what happened in my life has always stayed with me (First Love) I could never be parted from this my most treasured possession (been played too many times usually when i'm feeling low) only good condition with no skips the crackles play loud and proud. Possessed this 40 years before the Barcardi ad....

Jack Wood - Born To Wander (Lawrence 2052) 1966

Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Mack said:

Edward Hamilton Baby Don't You Weep ,Was lucky enough to have a photo taken with him with said record in my hand ,Never thought to get the sleeve signed ,sadly he passed last year .

Ditto. That would be the last record in my collection I'd sell too.  👍🏼

Social source share

On 23/11/2017 at 01:58, UPTITE U250A said:

I understand what you are saying and feeling about your records.

I think now,the generation gap is already,long,long gone and so wide as today bearing no resemblance to our halçyon era of Northern Soul.Time changes our social behaviour.Back in the late 60's and 70's English life was different then,factories,poor youth,fashion,music,and "scenes".Northern Soul was underground,there was no choreography -it was spontaneous,driven by the music.Living for the weekend,the way we dressed for that magical weekend.Spending hard earned pittance of wages on records,travelling,and clothes.Working class youth and just ordinary,somehow just fitted perfectly in with the Northern Soul Scene.Impossible to repeat those conditions in future generations.Each generation is different,they can't feel,experience,what went before.We are not alike.

MY gap is even longer. I started accumulating records (78s) in 1953.  That's almost 70 years ago.  I replaced my earliest '50s records (mostly 78s) with 45s; and so, even though THOSE 500 or so first acquisitions aren't exactly the original "friend", the music is, and I'd miss them just as much.  I could listen to probably 93-95% of the A-side songs on You-Tube, any time I want, and could obtain label scans of most of them.  But it's not the same as having several walls covered with shelves of records like a Record Museum, where you can browse through label runs.  I know so very many collectors who had to sell off large portions, or their whole collection just to finance their divorces or supplement their pensions just to survive during their retirement years.  So, I feel very lucky that it's looking more and more like I'll be able to keep my collection intact until I die IF I can stay mobile enough to avoid having to live in an assisted living facility for incapacitated oldies.  My father lived to 94 and was active and mobile, and living in his own house until the morning he died.  He had only stopped working 6 months before that.  His 3 sisters and mother all lived well into their 90s, and his father till 89.  So, it's looking good for me, if I don't ride my bicycle in front of an oncoming tram on an icy night.  However, I probably will have to stop dividing my year among five domiciles in 5 different countries.

When I know my time is nearing (some time around 2050 (if I am too poor to receive the future life-extending theraputical medical adjustments)) I will find a good home for my records, where they will be appreciated.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!