Kenb

• Replies 600
  • Views 25.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

On 1/6/2018 at 11:25, Kenb said:

My "R" -

i'll pop an "S" on Sunday then we should be back in-line.

maybe controversial again...

‘Don’t You Worry Baby The Best Is Yet To Come’(Besse Banks)is a track that was first played at Blackpool Mecca in 1976 .

Greg Wilson, UK DJ launched his Super Weird Substance label back in June 2015. Having featured on the label's inaugurating release alongside Wilson, Seacombe-based twins The Reynolds step up for their debut proper with a superb cover version of a Northern Soul classic. Vocals from Katherine and Carmel Reynolds ride the production work by Greg Wilson and Lee 'Peza' Perry.

If you had posted something by the other Reynolds Girls then I could see reason for controversy :lol:

Then again, there's always LJ's sister Jeannie: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

A gospel / bluesy female singer as a solo act and with the Harptones: Ruth McFadden and "Gheto Woman" on Gamble Records (she also recorded "Rover Rover" on G & H label Huff Puff). She is IMHO another artist (among others as The Vibrations, Executive Suite, Honey & The Bees,...) that I don't understand how G & H don't spend some effort for keep them on their label...

Social source share

Backtracking to Q briefly, Queen Latifah is quite a fine singer, and there's a good few tracks on her "Dana Owens Album" that showcase her talents very well. She has recorded proper songs earlier, as in her take of Curtis Mayfield's "Give me your love" on her 1991 album "Nature of a sista". That's not available, so jumping now to S (via L and a few other letters) we can enjoy the version of that same tune by Sisters Love:

Social source share

She has recorded more recently as Mashaa, and there's a nice 7 on Hit and Run recorded in 1979 but only released around 2011 ("You're gonna lose my love"), but Erma Shaw is probably still best known for her work with Canadian disco legend Gino Soccio:

Edited by Mickey Finn
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

This track closes the recent excellent Kent comp of Nashville soul producer Bob Holmes' work. This was recorded in Wisconsin and was supposed to be followed by an album which seems never to have been released. Stuff in the can, perhaps? Let's hope so - would be nice to hear more of Ruthie:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert