Last Ever These Old Shoes.....fri 10th Dec

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Hi all, just a quick message from the horse's mouth.....the real reason why THESE OLD SHOES is closing it's doors for the last time on Friday 10th December is because you should always end on a high and leave them wanting more. I've been promoting and running clubs and deejaying for over 25 years and you know when it's time to say enough is enough. Having been hosting Shoes with Paul Thomas Peter and Martin Thomson and later Alan Handscombe and Andy Faulkner, it is time to let new blood onto the scene. We're 6 years older than when we started out and what a great time we've had.......but in those 6 years, people have moved on, grown up, had kids, got mortgages, got married, got divorced :thumbsup: and generally done other things than being able to devote their time to mid week soul nights with sloping dance floors.....We've always had loyal and reliable regulars who've supported us through thick and thin - Geoff, Colin and Mo, Paul and Helen McKay, John Stubbs, Janine, Peter Jay, Trevor, Andy Faulkner.......the list is endless. But you cannot expect people to put These Old Shoes before their personal lives. In response to several postings that I've read, we deliberately set the flavour of the tunes that we played as 6Ts - we weren't in it for the money so if the numbers were thin on the ground, it didn't matter. What is the point of expanding the music policy - to quote Garreth of George Jackson fame - to prosper, when you start bleeding over into other clubs musical policies?? And as deejays, none of us played 7Ts (well, perhaps a smattering) as none of us collected it. I'm a Detroit Girl.........you can't tell, eh :thumbup: and PTP was blokey male vocals and Martin continues to unearth rare and exciting 6Ts. Each club should be unique - TOS has had some spectacular nights and i've loved every minute........time for regeneration and handing the reins over to the new clubs and promoters. Please give them the support that you've given TOS over the years - in the words of the Dells - make way for the next act coming on. I'll be at the new clubs, feet up, relaxing - lemonade no ice please beer.gif And lastly, from all the TOS Crew, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the pleasure you've given us - remember, there's only two things you need in life - one is LOVE and the other is SOUL.........see you on the 10th. Soulfully yours, Jo Wallace

Edited by vinylvixen
  • Replies 17
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well Jo, we'll all be very sorry to see TOS go (and I think I speak for everyone who's attended over the years). The 2nd Thursday of the month will never be the same again. Well done to you, PTP, Martin, Al and Andy and all the guest DJs who've entertained us and introduced or reintroduced us to some fabulous tunes. Now that HiddenSecrets has been cancelled I can go or more than the last half hour - hooray! Helen & I will be dragging Colin & Mo back from France especially. We'll see you on the 10th.

Take care

Paul

Hi all, just a quick message from the horse's mouth.....the real reason why THESE OLD SHOES is closing it's doors for the last time on Friday 10th December is because you should always end on a high and leave them wanting more.  I've been promoting and running clubs and deejaying for over 25 years and you know when it's time to say enough is enough.  Having been running Shoes with Paul Thomas Peter and Martin Thomson and later Alan Handscombe and Andy Faulkner, it is time to let new blood onto the scene.  We're 6 years older than when we started out and what a great time we've had.......but in those 6 years, people have moved on, grown up, had kids, got mortgages, got married, got divorced  :thumbsup: and generally done other things than being able to devote their time to mid week soul nights with sloping dance floors.....We've always had loyal and reliable regulars who've supported us through thick and thin - Geoff, Colin and Mo, Paul and Helen McKay, John Stubbs, Janine, Peter Jay, Trevor, Andy Faulkner.......the list is endless.  But you cannot expect people to put These Old Shoes before their personal lives.  In response to several postings that I've read, we deliberately set the flavour of the tunes that we played as 6Ts - we weren't in it for the money so if the numbers were thin on the ground, it didn't matter.  What is the point of expanding the music policy - to quote Garreth of George Jackson fame - to prosper, when you start bleeding over into other clubs musical policies?? And as deejays, none of us played 7Ts (well, perhaps a smattering) as none of us collected it.  I'm a Detroit Girl.........you can't tell, eh  :thumbup: and PTP was blokey male vocals and Martin continues to unearth rare and exciting 6Ts.  Each club should be unique - TOS has had some spectacular nights and i've loved every minute........time for regeneration and handing the reins over to the new clubs and promoters.  Please give them the support that you've given TOS over the years - in the words of the Dells - make way for the next act coming on.  I'll be at the new clubs, feet up, relaxing - lemonade no ice please  :D And lastly, from all the TOS Crew, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the pleasure you've given us - remember, there's only two things you need in life - one is LOVE and the other is SOUL.........see you on the 10th.  Soulfully yours, Jo Wallace

link

well said that woman....and a large ditto ditto ditto from me. See you next Friday for what promises to be an emotional yet extremely chipper final TOS going out with a bang.....(and we intend to have a bastard good time even if there's only the six of us there, but do join us beer.gif )

Martin

I'll always remember sharing the floor with Sean, Janet and Simon. Can you see any link there?

link

No doubt you all had your jackets on back-to-front and the obligatory trouser leg rolled up too, Sid!

It's my birthday next week so I'll shall be down to swing my pants (as opposed to the proverbial cat) with Al and hopefully a few chums.

And one of the few Northern Soul clubs to be attended by the Diplomats. What a night that was!

I'll always remember sharing the floor with Sean, Janet and Simon. Can you see any link there?

Do we need tickets like for the anniversaries?

link

nope, no tickets required :thumbsup:

Looks like its going to be a packer next Friday, even Neil Marsh and Dave Dixon are coming out of hiding to go

link

============

Pretty sure I won't make it, but I did have some good nights down there...

Thanks Martin Jo, PTP and whomever else. Good luck with the DJ'ing Nini....see if you can fit Don't Pity me in somewhere....and baby a go go.... :thumbsup:

Winnie:-)

Just want to say thank you to Jo, Martin, PTP, Alan H and Andy, plus guest DJs for all the great nights I've had at TOS. Nearest to a 60s club I've been to. Fabulous music and atmosphere. I always used to leave on a real high.

I'm really looking forward to Friday night, but with mixed emotions.

Guest in town Mikey

I had been going regularly to TOS for about three years or so, when one rare sober night I was walking back over the bridge to Tower Hill tube, when the city scape struck me. What a fantastic view.

To everyone going on friday. Enjoy the night, enjoy the view, I know you will enjoy the music. Have a great one :thumbsup:

Jo Wallace

What a big heart she's got...God bless.Them 2 things in life..Soul and love,i've had the soul since in was 16 but the other is a lot harder to find...Some people say the word love and they aint got a clue what it means..I need people with passion around me and i found one in Jo Wallace...Have a good time sister and remember to take you're best teeth because you are gonna be smiling Friday...

spike..

Hi all, just a quick message from the horse's mouth.....the real reason why THESE OLD SHOES is closing it's doors for the last time on Friday 10th December is because you should always end on a high and leave them wanting more.  I've been promoting and running clubs and deejaying for over 25 years and you know when it's time to say enough is enough.  Having been hosting Shoes with Paul Thomas Peter and Martin Thomson and later Alan Handscombe and Andy Faulkner, it is time to let new blood onto the scene.  We're 6 years older than when we started out and what a great time we've had.......but in those 6 years, people have moved on, grown up, had kids, got mortgages, got married, got divorced  :thumbsup: and generally done other things than being able to devote their time to mid week soul nights with sloping dance floors.....We've always had loyal and reliable regulars who've supported us through thick and thin - Geoff, Colin and Mo, Paul and Helen McKay, John Stubbs, Janine, Peter Jay, Trevor, Andy Faulkner.......the list is endless.  But you cannot expect people to put These Old Shoes before their personal lives.  In response to several postings that I've read, we deliberately set the flavour of the tunes that we played as 6Ts - we weren't in it for the money so if the numbers were thin on the ground, it didn't matter.  What is the point of expanding the music policy - to quote Garreth of George Jackson fame - to prosper, when you start bleeding over into other clubs musical policies?? And as deejays, none of us played 7Ts (well, perhaps a smattering) as none of us collected it.  I'm a Detroit Girl.........you can't tell, eh  :D and PTP was blokey male vocals and Martin continues to unearth rare and exciting 6Ts.  Each club should be unique - TOS has had some spectacular nights and i've loved every minute........time for regeneration and handing the reins over to the new clubs and promoters.  Please give them the support that you've given TOS over the years - in the words of the Dells - make way for the next act coming on.  I'll be at the new clubs, feet up, relaxing - lemonade no ice please  :D And lastly, from all the TOS Crew, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the pleasure you've given us - remember, there's only two things you need in life - one is LOVE and the other is SOUL.........see you on the 10th.  Soulfully yours, Jo Wallace

link

well said that woman....and a large ditto ditto ditto from me.  See you next Friday for what promises to be an emotional yet extremely chipper final TOS going out with a bang.....(and we intend to have a bastard good time even if there's only the six of us there, but do join us  :D   )

Martin

link

'Nuff said :thumbsup:

See you all Friday :D

I wonder if the dancefloor still slopes :thumbsup: