Possibly THE Rarest Soul 45?

Pete S

Just one point - I don't take these photos - I'm just sent them over and asked if I could post them - I know how to use macro on my camera.  I suggested a proper scan of the record (done on a scanner, obviously) which can then be lightened so that you see absolutely everything but not heard anything about that yet.  

Social source share

We would like to thank everyone for their enthusiastic response to our impending sale of the Frank Wilson 45.  This has certainly become a highlight of our nearly thirty years of business in music sales.  We take enormous pride in our reputation of fair dealing since 1988 and in our high ratings regarding our Ebay store (Melodies and Memories Music Outlet).

As we have already announced we are awaiting the interview which will appear in the January of "The Record Collector" magazine before we proceed on this.

Please offer your feedback on all the information that has been given on this record.  Scans will be upcoming in the next few days.

Thanks

Dan and Denise

Melodies & Memories

• Up vote 3
Social source share

About 37000 dollars in 2009, but hey...thats only a couple of bitcoins:)

For super expensive vinyl:

Band members and executives associated with The Beatles received special, serial-numbered versions of the band's acclaimed self-titled "White" album when it was first released. Though they are each extremely valuable, this particular record -- number 0000001 -- is the rarest of the bunch. Originally owned and stored by Ringo Starr, the record was sold by the Beatle at auction for $790,000 in 2015 according to Guinness, a sum that remains the most ever paid for a commercial album.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 minutes ago, chalky said:

If memory serves he wasn't a collector, he was from Hull and bought it for his wife.  They split up some time later I believe.

His wife? I tried that once:

'Darling, I got you this record for your birthday. I know you don't collect records but if you don't want it, I guess I'll take it off your hands!'

Next stop A&E...

• Up vote 3
Social source share

15 hours ago, Denise Marie said:

I am glad to have found you  and I am thankful for all your help!

Hey Denise, I'm sure you know THIS record is surrounded by incredible history and fortune.

Is there a great story of how you came by this test pressing? Or even the owners before yourself?

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Denise Zieja
5 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Hey Denise, I'm sure you know THIS record is surrounded by incredible history and fortune.

Is there a great story of how you came by this test pressing? Or even the owners before yourself?

Ed

We purchase collections daily from people either calling or walking in.  The story will appear in The Record Collectors Magazine in Jan.  Thanks for asking.

Social source share

On 11/21/2017 at 17:02, jim g said:

this has appeared on JM facebook, so i guess this is his rare record previously mention that will be auctioned soon (i know it is slightly off topic, just posted it for reference)

23755731_10215098445514210_2828533870956

...the auction of this disc is still running in Johns site....but the auction of a similar record on Anglo American finished on 14/12/17....anybody know the finishing price ?......

Edited by MGM 1251
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

The Motown museum in Detroit is getting an upgrade in the coming years.

A feature on this record should be included as it's the most talked about and we'll known rare motown record.

If as expected your test pressing sells for the most of any of the 3 or 4 known original copies, perhaps you could write to them with your story.

Ed

Social source share

6 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

The last time an original labelled copy got sold, it was by auction.

This test pressing is being sold via the same platform.

I'm just hoping we get to know the sold price.

Just in case I come across another test pressing at a car boot sale etc:)

Ed

It was a private sale not an auction as such.  She got an offer and accepted it.  There was no transparency like the last auction so doubt we will ge to know unless the buyer tells us. 

Social source share

18 hours ago, tomangoes said:

Even better if Berry G bought it and donated to the Motown Museum, since he destroyed the original copies (so FW states, bar 2).

Ed

wouldn't Motown (now Universal) have a right to claim they still owned it as presumably it was never actually sold to anyone ?  .... just a thought :shhh:

Social source share

1 hour ago, bbrich said:

wouldn't Motown (now Universal) have a right to claim they still owned it as presumably it was never actually sold to anyone ?  .... just a thought :shhh:

I think EMI UK tried that with the Beatles Parlophone Demo’s,stating “demonstration sample-not for sale”,but it didn’t come to much....:thumbsup:....

Social source share

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 06:48, chalky said:

Why do people think this is more desirable than the actual issue with the label on?  After all that is all it is minus the label?

in collecting terms test pressing like Acetates (of an issued record) are never as desirable as the actual record. Unless its a classic and there is some provenance about the tune that makes it desirable as a trophy piece, which in this case there is. More desirable than the vinyl? its hard to say on a piece that is so rare in its original format. Should really go for more as the general trend in collecting is up, but would it go for more than the one with soul label on it if sold at the same time? doubt it personally.

Social source share

Just received January 2018 Record Collector Mag , Franky Goes For Dollars,Good! is the feature. To save SS chums a few quid ,a resume of the salient points!

Denise and danny Zieja,own Melodies ans Memories in Michigan with a stock /collection of 100,000 records, acquired the Franky in around 1988,realised its value in 2009, in 2017 decided to sell part of there collection, wife denise researched the discs history whereby Goldmine referred to it as $100,000 disc .Nashville matrix is quoted and record grade as 9 out of 10. The disc is currently held in a safe deposit box and potential purchases  need to Fly to Detroit to view ,private sale or auction house are options for sale. Our very own ,Local Hero, Pete Smith gets a deserved name check ,for his help ,and contact details for S.S. members with massive wallets are,tel .001 586 774 8480. Have A Nice Day ! LOL Johnny Hart.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 1/10/2018 at 06:02, tomangoes said:

Even better if Berry G bought it and donated to the Motown Museum, since he destroyed the original copies (so FW states, bar 2).

Ed

He shouldn't have to buy it.  He always got one of the 6 pressing plant test pressing copies. One other was sent to Quality Control, one to The Motown Corp. Record File, one to The Jobete Music Record File, and 2 were left at the pressing plant.  My guess is that he kept all his personal copies.

Social source share

Well in the Motown museum you have the diamond encrusted glove from Michael Jackson, the sofa that Marvin Gaye used to stay overnight on, and a host of other memorabilia, as you'd expect....

Arguably the most talked about single DILYIID...would be a great addition, test pressing or labelled version.

How one gets there, I'm not fussy, but when the extension gets completed, it would be a great centerpiece especially now FW has passed.

And no I don't think it's the best soul single motown ever produced, just the most intriguing!!

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!