Possibly THE Rarest Soul 45?

Pete S

4 hours ago, RobbK said:

Yes, I'm here.  I never saw nor heard of this test pressing.  It was pressed at RCA Indianapolis, and mastered in Nashville.  Looks legit enough, with that 1964-66 Quality Control stamp, and the mid '60s style test pressing record, with depressed centre area.

But wasn't the original recored in LA and pressed in Detroit at ARP?  Did the original have a RCA number?

Social source share

12 hours ago, MGM 1251 said:

Good on ya mate...hand writing l@@ks the same as that on Tims copy...and same red pen too...is Robbk around?...:thumbup::thumbup:

6 hours ago, RobbK said:

Yes, I'm here.  I never saw nor heard of this test pressing.  It was pressed at RCA Indianapolis, and mastered in Nashville.  Looks legit enough, with that 1964-66 Quality Control stamp, and the mid '60s style test pressing record, with depressed centre area.

1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

The Q.C. stamp and the handwriting is a match for those on the Quality Control copy of the demo .

Tim has a DEMO (don't know where other one is) it would be great if he could let us know the "run out"details... :yes:...

Social source share

8 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

Especially the date , absolutely the same hand ... :)

Can't make out the word above "pressing" though ... ?  Could it be "american" ... ?

As in "ARP"?   Good shout....if that's what it stands for....

Edited by MGM 1251
Add on
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Pete S said:

No mate it's not mine I'm just helping get it out there for the owner who is 'under the radar', I'll give full info tomorrow

Great find....you have had some amazing stuff pass through your hands Pete (for yourself and others)....is the idea to get it up for sale through mr manship at some point. Thank you.....Rob

Social source share

8 hours ago, RobbK said:

Thanks for that info Robb

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

So I understand , no sign of an 'ARP' stamp in the runout of this one as far as I can see though. 

Anyone got a decent scan of one of the two demos that doesn't obscure the runouts ... ?

Doubtful I know ... :huh: 

There may be - I'll ask again

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Pete,I see you have put the disc "up for sale"in the sales section of SS....is it gonna be "best offer" ,or through an auction house of some kind......?

No, I've just asked people to contact me privately so that I can give them the details of the seller and they can take it from there

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, 45cellar said:

Motown did use another Midwest plant besides "ARP". These have the "Nashville Matrix" rather than "ARP" as mentioned above. This Test Press looks to be from the other Midwest plant. So I wouldn't expect to see the "ARP" stamp.

Well documented Motown used various plants.  Nashville matrix didn't press discs, they mastered the plates and left their mark.  RCA pressed this one by the looks of it.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Yeh,that's why I asked the question Chalky....like the the chap that had the DB London issue....two weeks of hype,then straight off to that well known record auction site...:thumbsup:...

8 minutes ago, chalky said:

If they are selling you'd think they would want as much publicity as possible?

Social source share

47 minutes ago, chalky said:

Well documented Motown used various plants.  Nashville matrix didn't press discs, they mastered the plates and left their mark.  RCA pressed this one by the looks of it.

Yes, even though "Nashville Matrix" didn't press discs their mark only tends to appear on records pressed other than "ARP" or Monarch.

Social source share

8 minutes ago, 45cellar said:

Yes, even though "Nashville Matrix" didn't press discs their mark only tends to appear on records pressed other than "ARP" or Monarch.

Their account codes run into three figures so that gives us an idea of the amount of companies they mastered for.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!