Jump to content
Pete S

Possibly THE Rarest Soul 45?

Recommended Posts

34 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

 

For a complete and ready to use working lathe you are looking at £8000.00 and upwards ... !

An Elvis acetate sold for over $80,000, so that seems like a fair price to pay. 

Tell you what, I'll take two......:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WoodButcher said:

£1500.00 might get you the one above , untested , incomplete and basically a decorative item ... :lol:

For a complete and ready to use working lathe you are looking at £8000.00 and upwards ... !

I'd be happy to pay that if I could find one - not an acetate cutter, a vinyl cutter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Karl s said:

Hi pete jah tubbys still cuts dubplates for shaka as he only runs plates and vinyl

think there is a place in france still makes them 12” 10” 7” 

will try to find out

there is also a plate cutter that mounts on to a 1210 , 1200 then a computer for frequency control

How interesting.  I look forward to your update Karl, thanks for posting this intriguing info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys give me a few days and i will meet my mate who runs a sound and see if he still has the cutter 

and get imfo and hopefully some pics

dont worry 

im on it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Speaking of record cutting lathes,this one from Sillitoe looks pretty amazing..I'm told it will also cut 14 inch plates which would enable the user to cut professional lacquer masters on the machine.
15 K might seem a lot of money to pay for a lathe but if you consider that the 'proper' lathes such as Neumann or Scully  will cost 10's of thousands even without  the whole studio set up you need to attach them to .

 Theres also these the Souri T-560 although I've heard from some reliable sources that the guy who runs the company can sometimes be an absolute f'ing nightmare to do buisness with ,so beware !

32P4tb5.jpg

 

the Vestax VRX 2000 .

One of the D.J's I know who's on the Hip Hop forums picked up the VRX for around a grand and although it does need some work,he's pretty confident that he will get it up and running properly.

I know there's also another fella, over at Scratchworx who just sold his Vestax cutter a couple of months ago..not sure how much it actually went for though, I'll have to ask him about it at some point. 

The main factors of importance when it comes to lathe cutting records are a rock solid base,isolation and silent operation which is something  that Vestax were never particularly that good at in my opinion...what they were good at was making needles stick to grooves in vinyl at all costs and experimenting and listening to the crazy ideas and requests of scratch DJ 's.

I'd personally want to take a good look at the Sillitoe cutter if I was in the market for a lathe for myself.

 

NoufMgi.jpg

Edited by Soulsides

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Jaco said:

Asked this on the FB Rare Soul group. Where is the Manship video trashing the authenticity of the disc? Didn’t get an answer there.

Never will

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Jaco said:

Asked this on the FB Rare Soul group. Where is the Manship video trashing the authenticity of the disc? Didn’t get an answer there.

So many groups on Facebook.  Which one exactly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Tried to get on that site said it was closed. ( strange)

 

Think it means It's a closed group. You have to join the group to see discussion, post and comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, autumnstoned said:

Think it means It's a closed group. You have to join the group to see discussion, post and comment.

and then if you say anything the moderators disagree with, they'll close your topic

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely they wont close me down for trying to get to the bottom of why  not likening one record means that someone does not understand northern soul music.

On 13/01/2018 at 11:49, Spain pete said:

What does the term northern soul mean ?  In relation to modern soul ? , because  in today's soul music  world , some modern is now being classed as northern soul , so what is it that we are     not understanding ?.

 

46 minutes ago, Pete S said:

and then if you say anything the moderators disagree with, they'll close your topic

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete S said:

and then if you say anything the moderators disagree with, they'll close your topic

 

The group is about records not general scene chat. This record been discussed at length. Pete isn’t even s member and hasn’t been for sometime. What a group on Facebook and cutting lathes have to do with this not sure?  You have to be a member of FB to join the group in question too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, chalky said:

The group is about records not general scene chat. This record been discussed at length. Pete isn’t even s member and hasn’t been for sometime. What a group on Facebook and cutting lathes have to do with this not sure?  You have to be a member of FB to join the group in question too. 

Yeah they all know so much more than me that I was made surplus to requirements:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only wanted to join to discuss the merits of soul music.🎶🎶

3 hours ago, chalky said:

The group is about records not general scene chat. This record been discussed at length. Pete isn’t even s member and hasn’t been for sometime. What a group on Facebook and cutting lathes have to do with this not sure?  You have to be a member of FB to join the group in question too. 

 

3 hours ago, Pete S said:

Yeah they all know so much more than me that I was made surplus to requirements:thumbsup:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Surely they wont close me down for trying to get to the bottom of why  not likening one record means that someone does not understand northern soul music.

 

 

Pete's reffering to Face Book Moderators - We're far more tolerant here :wink:

This thread's going a bit 'off-topic', with talk of cutting machines / what is Northern Soul? etc but hey ho :rofl:

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, autumnstoned said:

Think it means It's a closed group. You have to join the group to see discussion, post and comment.

Rare Soul Talk is a Facebook group of which you have to Join / become a Member of   to read and participate.

It has 3,300 ish Members and runs along happily enough.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/160929280739470/

Speaks highly of Soul Source and co-exists without issue.

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shinehead said:

More like because it is  '' played out'' as in overplayed and its day has gone .

This 45 has become a victim of its own success as its often chosen on non northern soul tv like adverts etc.

 

as in overplayed  in ovo venues i would disagree.  Its rarity prevents this.

 

but over exposed in mainstream media then yes.

 

its too well known outside northern circles and that seems to create most of the negative attitude towards it imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Ted Massey said:

For the last 10 years (since the wife died)  ive been to 2 sometimes 3 events most weekends and i cant remember  the last time i heard Frank Wilson played out.  

This is the point i was making.

 

In ovo venues you just dont hear it as it is very rare.

 

the overexposure has come from lazy journalists putting it inti the mainstream.

 

one day we may hear mellosouls on an advert then what ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

For the last 10 years (since the wife died)  ive been to 2 sometimes 3 events most weekends and i cant remember  the last time i heard Frank Wilson played out.  

You don’t need to hear it at a venue, it is everywhere else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems some people can`t seem to differentiate between a bad record and one they actually just dislike!

DILY is obviously, unless your ears are painted on, a brilliant piece of music and lyric but I don`t personally like it. There you go....spot the difference and learn something!:thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An interesting point.

When it first got played, I can't remember anybody slagging it off.

Certainly a big record for Wigan Casino, and possibly one of the biggest ever Northern Soul records of all time, even though it come quite late in the 70s.

I actually think it got even more popular amongst the masses because of the cd and adverts and hype about its history.

In any case, the subject can't be far off running it's course.

Dedadoo.

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Tim Richmond said:

Really gettin' bored with this thread now, it has lost it's way.

Ummmmmm....the whole point of this thread in the first place was to inflate the price of the record for the benefit of the owners, wasn't it?  The long term professional record dealers who had it for years without being aware of it's potential value.  :huh:

It was nice to see the photos/scans though, so I don't mean to be ungrateful to Pete S for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok have caught up on this

just split some of the posts of this topic off onto their own topics as the discussion has moved away from the orig topic

the advert talk now has its own topic

also the meaning of northern soul has its own

both can be found in the aats forum

ask all  to try and stick to the original topic

 :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Ummmmmm....the whole point of this thread in the first place was to inflate the price of the record for the benefit of the owners, wasn't it?  The long term professional record dealers who had it for years without being aware of it's potential value.  :huh:

It was nice to see the photos/scans though, so I don't mean to be ungrateful to Pete S for that.

It wasn't to "inflate" it, it was to sell it, I originally told them to ask £15,000, took no notice of me - probably a good thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point of the thread was to introduce a rare disk that had just come the attention of the author, who kindly showed pictures and details.

No mention was made about how good it was as a record on today's scene.

The disc kind of got investigated and interrogated to a point where it was largely agreed it was genuine.

Then the thread diversified beyond belief! 

No wonder Mike intervened!

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tomangoes said:

I think the point of the thread was to introduce a rare disk that had just come the attention of the author, who kindly showed pictures and details.

No mention was made about how good it was as a record on today's scene.

The disc kind of got investigated and interrogated to a point where it was largely agreed it was genuine.

Then the thread diversified beyond belief! 

No wonder Mike intervened!

Ed

If she had kept the disc then I would agree with you but she hasn’t. She has got soul source and Facebook to sell it for them.  The topics generated, and there have been a few have over hyped the disc and given it a lot of attention. 

Edited by chalky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chalky said:

If she had kept the disc then I would agree with you but she hasn’t. She has got soul source and favebook to sell it for them.  The topics generated, and there have been a few have over hyped the disc and given it a lot of attention. 

Next time I won't bother posting anything on Soul Source seeing as someone always has to complain about something.  Doesn't matter what it is, someone moans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

I personally thank you for posting this up. 

+1 from me also, Pete.

The discovery of this Frank Wilson record  has even got the hardened  Hip Hop and Scratch DJ's in a bit of a froth over on another forum I'm a member of when I informed them of the find. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

+1 from me also, Pete.

The discovery of this Frank Wilson record  has even got the hardened  Hip Hop and Scratch DJ's in a bit of a froth over on another forum I'm a member of when I informed them of the find. 

 

 

Give it a week and they'll be moaning about you letting them know.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Pete S said:

Next time I won't bother posting anything on Soul Source seeing as someone always has to complain about something.  Doesn't matter what it is, someone moans.

Thank you for posting the photos/scans Pete.  I did kind of say I was grateful to you. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be shame Pete if you decided to lurk. You've too much input/knowledge to disappear into the depths. I know what you mean though. Sometimes when reading the discussions I just think. HUH!!!!!WHAT ARE you on about? I've recently been revisiting old threads. Best discoveries, rarest demos, record digging discoveries etc. Now they are what it's all about. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ok rather than take this topic any further down the offtopic road ask please use the support/feedback forum for any further site related points/feedback/talk 

back to the actual topic ...

keywords being acetate, frank wilson, rarest soul 45 etc....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Related Soul Music Links

×