Doh! - Al Foster Band (Night of the wolf) is a fake artist

Guest woolie mark

Guest woolie mark

I didn't know until today that Al Foster Band "Night of the wolf" issued in 1975 is actually  an Italian recording by Ivano Alberto Fosati & Oscar Prudente titled "Tema Del Lupo" originally on an LP from 1973.

So Al Foster Band is a fake artist.  Is this even a real record?  I recently sold an Al Foster Band demo on ebay and got surprisingly good money for it.  I put all over the listing that I couldn't vouch for it being an original.  It just didn't seem to be right.  The vinyl was too thin and the quality of the label was crappy.  I'd paid about 5p for it from a mixed box of old mecca-type stuff years ago, so didn't really care.

Given that when this record first became popular in about 1975 (before my time btw) there were certain persons pressing up almost anything which went big on the northern scene, could the Roulette issue be moody?  If not, why would you need to change the name of the artist?

Whatever, the Al Foster Band records aren't "originals" as this seems to be the original 45:

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
1 hour ago, tomangoes said:

guessing just a reissue under a more saleable name in the US?

Ed

Why would a US label be interested in reissuing a 2 year old Italian disco record?  Surely the only demand in 1975 would be on the UK northern soul scene?  I can't believe that for nearly 40 years I never knew this was really an Italian LP track.

Social source share

10 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Why would a US label be interested in reissuing a 2 year old Italian disco record?  Surely the only demand in 1975 would be on the UK northern soul scene?  I can't believe that for nearly 40 years I never knew this was really an Italian LP track.

Because to world outside the northern soul scene was and is still bigger even outside the UK...

Social source share

10 hours ago, woolie mark said:

Probably aimed at the disco scene or something, more to the world than a small sub culture in the UK.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, chalky said:

Probably aimed at the disco scene or something, more to the world than a small sub culture in the UK.

Definitely, it probably just got picked up by chance as a new release - I remember it being imported as a new release and I bought one from Ruby Red for £1, as did hundreds of other people.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The Al Foster Band Roulette Issue was released in 1975, hence with it being released within the 3 year period from the original Italian Album recording in 1973, which is the local Issue (the 45 Issue came out in 1974) the Roulette Issue is actually an Original 1st Issue release too, as it’s an international issue with it being a US release, even though it’s released in a different artists name etc, it’s not a fake, it’s real, it’s problably a sales & marketing ploy by the label to make it a more saleable choon for the US disco scene/market in the mid 70’s, hence the change in artists name & title etc, but either way, it’s defo for real & hence it’s not a fake. 👍

Edited by guest
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
7 hours ago, Jimmy Mac said:

The Al Foster Band Roulette Issue was released in 1975, hence with it being released within the 3 year period from the original Italian Album recording in 1973, which is the local Issue (the 45 Issue came out in 1974) the Roulette Issue is actually an Original 1st Issue release too, as it’s an international issue with it being a US release, even though it’s released in a different artists name etc, it’s not a fake, it’s real, it’s problably a sales & marketing ploy by the label to make it a more saleable choon for the US disco scene/market in the mid 70’s, hence the change in artists name & title etc, but either way, it’s defo for real & hence it’s not a fake. 👍

Yeah, that seems to sum it up.  I am still suspicious of the demo I sold though.

Thanks for all the input folks.

Social source share

31 minutes ago, geeselad said:

quite like this version, think its german! picked it up on here a couple of year back and along with the orig have played it out a few times in recent times

I dig that Geeselad :yes:  Thank you for posting. :hatsoff2: 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, mike said:

there's another decent recent (well 2007) take that adds a bit to it all

hang on

here are

Just listened to Geeselads post and this one Mike. Not really my cup of tea but certainly cool, club dance records which I suspect appeal to the younger generation of proper clubbers.

Pete

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, IAN STACEY said:

we played this at Nuneaton as the final record for the dance competition 2015 so it does get played ,not often but it had an outing 

I started going to nighters in 76.

Al Foster had been and gone by then, but I did hear it at youth club nights earlier than that, probably played by older youths etc.

Cosmic Sea is unknown to me now, so certainly was then.

Was it a mecca track? 

Ed

Social source share

3 minutes ago, tomangoes said:

I started going to nighters in 76.

Al Foster had been and gone by then, but I did hear it at youth club nights earlier than that, probably played by older youths etc.

Cosmic Sea is unknown to me now, so certainly was then.

Was it a mecca track? 

Ed

was reactivated in 1979 /80  at cleethorpes  did not know it had been played earlier  cheers for info 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!