If you could go back in time and actually be there

Sheldonsoul

Was thinking the other day whilst listening to some tunes when Williams and Watson to late came on ,on listening to it for the millionth time in 40 years I actually thought what it must of been like in the studio when they recorded it and how I would have loved to have sat in while they laid the track down. What ns/Motown tune would you love to have been able to sit in on while it was recorded 👍

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Shawn Robinson. My dear heart  _   how?  why?  when?  who with? do you know how much your appreciated ?   What happened to you ? Where are you. ? Your lovely  👌👍🎶🎶🎶

Social source share

2 hours ago, sheldonsoul said:

Was thinking the other day whilst listening to some tunes when Williams and Watson to late came on ,on listening to it for the millionth time in 40 years I actually thought what it must of been like in the studio when they recorded it and how I would have loved to have sat in while they laid the track down. What ns/Motown tune would you love to have been able to sit in on while it was recorded 👍

Funnily enough I actually met someone who was at the recording of "Too Late"  !!

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest brian smith
3 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Professionals....that's why I love you....to the best of my knowledge they can't remember recording it...and it's my favourite record....definitely done in one take, it has everything..and what it's all about for me...kind regards...Rob

Great choice brother. Can i come 😂

Social source share

1 hour ago, Spain pete said:

Shawn Robinson. My dear heart  _   how?  why?  when?  who with? do you know how much your appreciated ?   What happened to you ? Where are you. ? Your lovely  👌👍🎶🎶🎶

She was indeed an Italian beauty.

5a11ec577e287_shawnrobinson.jpg.82ac172088b28b5cbb570d8cd84f4d49.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
uploaded image
Social source share

There wouldn't be any one song for me.  I would have liked to have been working at Motown during 1962-66, and have watched all facets of the songwriting and recording process was handled, seeing how all the talented people did what they did and how the whole process came together to produce such fabulous recordings.  I couldn't pick any one song or watching any one artist, musician, producer, arranger, or songwriter work.  I saw a later version of that process at Motown in L.A. during the 1970s, and Airwave and Altair Records in the 1980s.  But those weren't the same as how it was done in Detroit at Motown in the mid 1960s.  I have a big appreciation for what those people did back then, based on my feeble attempts to take up playing the guitar, piano and harmonica (failing to get very far), and also trying to write songs (both music and lyrics).  My "songs" were well-known chords and musical phrases patched together (with no Soul or life of their own).  They weren't TRULY inspired.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 11/19/2017 at 19:45, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Professionals....that's why I love you....to the best of my knowledge they can't remember recording it...and it's my favourite record....definitely done in one take, it has everything..and what it's all about for me...kind regards...Rob

I thought the Soul Tribe Canadian 'Groove City' re-issue was an alternate take? So must be at least 2 takes?

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A

There are so many....a lifetime's worth....every second there is another mind-blower...to actually be there and see/hear/experience them recording?? wow :

Isley Brothers "tell me it's just a rumour baby"

Tomangoes "I really love you"

Ray Pollard "this time"

Ray Agee "I'm losing"

Eddie Parker "love you baby"

Dee Dee Sharpe "what kind of lady"

Lily Bryant "meet me halfway"

the LPT's and all the LaBeat and Palmer recordings

the Golden World recordings

and Eddie Foster "I never knew"

and on and on and on.... !

Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
46 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

For me it would have to be the Tan Geers version of This Empty Place, absolutely haunting and would love to have been there when that was recorded. There are a few records I’d like to have been there to have pulled the plug on as well though like Mickey Moonshine 😜

I recall buying that Mickey Moonshine in the early 1970's as a newish release,it was recommended to be by a Mecca regular,and I found my copy at Cheapo's market stall in London,for a derisatory price.Other than that,I never heard it played out nor even heard anyone mentioning or knowing or having it.My copy was the only one I ever saw.Not saying it was rare -just a little obscure and quite that northern sounding feel with gr8 lyrics.Yes maybe to have been there at the recording not bad.

Social source share

12 hours ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

For me it would have to be the Tan Geers version of This Empty Place, absolutely haunting and would love to have been there when that was recorded. There are a few records I’d like to have been there to have pulled the plug on as well though like Mickey Moonshine 😜

Incredible :hatsoff2:atb baz .first time hearin it :ohmy: ta

Edited by baz1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete
1 hour ago, SOULGLOW said:

I would go back in time to stop artists from being murdered ( Marvin , d banks . Sam cooke . & so on

Does that include, by the record labels and the bootlegger's.

Social source share

Lots of the George Kerr wonders, High Keys, Alice Clark, Linda Jones (Just Can't live My Life). Big orchestra, strings, percussion, brass section (as opposed to 'horn' section !) and that harp. The man himself on backing vocals.

Also, Gene Chandler's 'There Was A Time'. I feel out of breath every time I hear it. If you listen carefully at the very end you hear the great man go 'ooh' , he obviously knew what he had just recorded.

Tim.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

16 hours ago, Tim Richmond said:

Lots of the George Kerr wonders, High Keys, Alice Clark, Linda Jones (Just Can't live My Life). Big orchestra, strings, percussion, brass section (as opposed to 'horn' section !) and that harp. The man himself on backing vocals.

Also, Gene Chandler's 'There Was A Time'. I feel out of breath every time I hear it. If you listen carefully at the very end you hear the great man go 'ooh' , he obviously knew what he had just recorded.

Tim.

jclml- linda jones is a really good call, esp that note she holds in the breakdown, just about my favourite passage in a NS track

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

There are lots of sessions i would love to have been there to see recorded  especially the professionals but i would give every record and everything i own to go back and see my mum and dad once more. apart from my 2 sons they mean more than anything to me 😊

• Up vote 3
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

There are lots of sessions i would love to have been there to see recorded  especially the professionals but i would give every record and everything i own to go back and see my mum and dad once more. apart from my 2 sons they mean more than anything to me 😊

With you on that one. 21 years tomorrow for Mum. 14 years last week for my Dad . Plus one last nighter with all the good friends I've lost over the years 

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!