Florida Rarity

Soulfulsolutions

Changing tack from the 60’s to some lovely 70’s these next few days, here’s my first offering,

As ever sound file on request,

PM any questions or to reserve

Georgia Soul Twisters – Loo out (I’m gonna blow your mind) – Waxwing 1010 Ex £1400

Originating from Lyons, Georgia, The Georgia Soul Twisters were very active on the live music scene, seeking opportunities to gig when and where they could, touring the southern states in winter, migrating north in the summer.  This nomadic existence may explain why they had only 3 releases and on 3 different labels, yet a decent repertoire for live performances.  With 10 group members, the manager and no doubt the odd groupie, they probably needed the equivalent of a Greyhound bus to get around. 

It’s not clear who they were, but their manager was Mose “Pop” Braziel, an influential figure in the bands recordings.  “Pop” knew people, industry people, arranging a deal with Jimmy Liggins, owner of Duplex Records, but here’s the odd thing, their debut 45 “Soul shing-a-ling dance”, recorded in Dallas, appears on a one-off Duplex label design from LA.  It ties in though with Liggins living in LA, even though his long running label varied in design, addresses and Duplex distributors covering California, Tennessee, Arkansas, Tennessee, North Carolina and Florida.  Liggins, a massive figure in the 50’s R&B world, passed away in Durham in 1978, 2 decades after setting up Duplex and still working in Music at a College.

Their second release “You shot me (through the grease)” was recorded in Tampa circa 67’ and issued on the New York Mainstream label, this too, came courtesy of Pop’s links with another R&B giant Dave Crawford.  The band recorded their third and final recording “Look out (I’m gonna blow your mind)” at a small central Florida recording studio in the early 70s.  Pop died, aptly, in Lyons in March 1969 aged 64, so he never got to open doors for what was a private recording, so it was self-financed and self-released, and no doubt done with Pop in mind.

This belts and braces edgy soul dancer remains elusive in its original form and well under the radar.  Shows only minimal signs of use, topside has one fingernail line and a couple of light marks DNAP, flip, again couple of light marks and one scuff that DNAP.  Otherwise deep shiny lustre and plays Ex+.

5a12997f403ac_Waxwing1010.jpg.5c1b36530c308c66a73c0a46a9a44f03.jpg 

PayPal as friends or add 4% or bank transfer please.

Postage:

£9.50 – Special Delivery

Overseas on Request

Cheers, Lee 😉

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 0
  • Views 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic