Northern’s Last Hurrah?

Olivernorth

After watching last nights interpretation of northern on mainstream TV I wonder what will northern be like In ten to fifteen years time most of our generation who went in the 1970s to mid 80s will be well into our sixties, if not seventies, with the majority of the top Djs approaching 80. Will northern still be a way of life for us? Will the treasured sounds still have an eager market.

At present the Soul nite/ allniters are still presided over by the 1st wave of northern soul devottees still able to thread the boards with enthusiasm but in ten /fifteen years time will we still be attending like old seasoned campaigners keeping the once secret faith going. Will we witness the now youthful but In the future 30/40 something year olds keeping the faith against ever decreasing numbers when we eventually stop going as age never comes alone. 

Even middle age outsiders (here to stay) now seeking refuge and a social life in northern Soul will be fewer in number maybe in the end lacking real empathy with our music that they ignored in their youth.

Northern souls quaintness the flyers on the table in a digital world, it’s time warp atmosphere of brotherhood and secrecy under duress from the influx of newcomers seeking a ready made lifestyle and The trickle of teenagers liking this strange world of northern soul  the generation who will keep the flame burning-maybe. The current major revival the last one. Should we want this northern journey to fade away with our generation or encourage its continuation in a new generation?

Will we to coin an oldie or two keep on keeping on or get out maybe it’s time to make up your mind when that time comes sooner or later enjoy while you still can.

Social source share

• Replies 2
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Just enjoy what we have the future dont matter . The handfull of kids around its just an alternative fad for them by 2060 I bet they wont be reminising about how the soul scene shaped their lives for the last 40 years .

At the end of the day its a youth culture that has somehow exeded all our expectations have fun .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Even middle age outsiders (here to stay) now seeking refuge and a social life in northern Soul ............

There is a good number of them! BUT maybe most are just spouses putting up with it:)

The question is, what else is there? Rock n Rollers faced the same dilemma, but they carry on until they drop.

All you can do is say 'it will never be over for me' and let others worry if it's the same for them.

Just back from SOUL IN THE SUN...........and the sixty somethings are still going at full on. If they need a stick in 10 years time, I don't think it will stop them.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!