Gladys Knight Just Walk Acetate

Rictic66

See pic below - just found this in a record shop in Cheltenaham with some other TMG GnW Demos.  Anyone have any info why its on Pye Records.  Assume its a first acetate of TMG 576 which was released in 1966 - US original Soul 35023.

Also is it worth anything - plays really well.  I thought at first it may be a mistake and be by Billie Davies as her version came out on UK Piccadilly but its def the lovely rich tones of Gladys.

Appreciate any comments, Paul Temple

gladys knight acetate.jpg

Social source share

I guess it's a single sided disc Paul?

I can't imagine it being one done by a private individual during the early 70s prior to it's re-issue in 1972 as the US copies weren't that hard to pick up.

I have a similar looking Pye acetate with that same label and have also seen others that weren't Pye releases, as is this one.

Didn't Pye do acetates for other labels as well as their own things? I seem to think I read it once somewhere.

No idea on a price though...

Social source share

Pye Records had the top 45 equipment & acetate / test pressing team in the UK in the 60's. They could adjust the track (if an LP take or a non- club balanced US effort) to maximise how the cut would sound on the radio / dance floor (boosting the base & other little tricks). I too would guess that they're from the 60's and not 70's efforts. There's a UK test pressing of a Linda Carr track she cut for DCP in 65 (which would also have made it an EMI release here, probably on United Artists if EMI had proceeded). That was also made by the Pye Records team.

If you want to know more about Linda Carr & her career, you might try buying the next edition of SOUL UP NORTH mag.

Now, TALL PIMPLE, you got anymore questions ???

LindaCarr45Mont.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

On 24/11/2017 at 17:24, Rictic66 said:

Hi John good to hear from you. Thanks - yes single sided and I think you must be right. Other TM acetates I have seen have come from the music publishers. Glad to see you're still vinyl addict. Best to all the Rotherham crowd. Paul

There was a publishers acetate through eBay a few years ago, Carlin Publishers Acetate, JWIMS was paired with a four tops release though so not sure of its authenticity.

https://www.popsike.com/ACETATE-CARLIN-MUSIC-FOUR-TOPSWALK-WITH-ME-GLADYS-KNIGHTWALK-IN-MY-SHOES/261196528248.html

Social source share

Just dug my Pye and Carlin ones out.In the UK they did single sided and dbl sided acetates with diff artists.The two single sided ones are Sandy and Everyday Sunshine Two unreleased tracks.There is always an off centre ring in the spindle hole.The next one is more relevant Sisters Of Love Mr Fix It Man backed with Union Express Sugar Honey.....i will go on to the Pye ones. The Carlin one with the 4 Tops release and the Gladys release was probably legit as they were both released in 72 on UK Tamla. 

DSC_1793.JPG

DSC_1794.JPG

DSC_1795.JPG

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Pye also did dbl sides acetates.

Etta James I Prefer You/Mike Stevens Go Go Train.

The earlier Pye acetates were on a different label.Chuck Jackson-I Need You single sided 

Blue chips-Tell Her/Good Lovin.

It is easy to have another cut stuck on to a single sided acetate but they tend to stick out like a sore themb and tend to be in demand/unreleased tracks.There is a fraudster that is flooding e bay with them but they are the top rarities 

DSC_1798.JPG

Social source share

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/237372-take-me-in-your-arms-and-love-me-blank.html

https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=motown acetates

Thanks Chalky and JohnSS and Wiggyflat - all good stuff and some great examples.  Ive only joined SS this year - amazing collective knowledge.  I did know about the nice Carlin acetates and several of the ones on Manships web were previously mine and he is surprisingly selling at what I think are great prices for rareities - £40 for example for the Temps and G Knight which was the price I traded them with him last year.

I paid £50 for the Just Walk in My Shoes as condition is so good.  Didnt know people were cutting stuff on the blank sides - I suppose vinyl is hard to come by these days.

I spent hours last night trawling through the alternative/foreign label theme which goes on for 18 pages.  I collect this stuff myself esp pic covers and thought I had a great collection until I saw some uploaded here.  JohnSS of course you are the reason I got into this with the yellow argentinian motown of detroit spinners.  Ha love it.

Paul Temple

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Rictic66 said:

I spent hours last night trawling through the alternative/foreign label theme which goes on for 18 pages.  I collect this stuff myself esp pic covers and thought I had a great collection until I saw some uploaded here.  JohnSS of course you are the reason I got into this with the yellow argentinian motown of detroit spinners.  Ha love it.

Paul Temple

Paul, when am I getting that Spinners 45 back (at the same price I sold it to you of course) ??

Social source share

youre the acetate king andy - remember all your Virtue stuff  - cheers

John i owe you a gratitude certainly but vinyl at todays prices!?  anyway you have enough!  ill send you a flyer for function at the junction in broadstone poole where i am djing next sat 2 dec - clashes with 100 club i know.

PT/TP

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!