The First NS Compilation LP ?

Roburt

I know that the first intentional NS comp LP was put out by Pye here in the mid 70's ... but I would suggest that before that a few comp LP's had escaped in the US that would (if they were 70's releases) be classed as releases aimed at the NS market. Here's my tip as a probable 1st NS comp album ... compiled by Philly / New Jersey radio / TV DJ Jerry Blavat.

It was released in late 67 and featured 20 tracks in all, of them I'd say 16 would count as NS cuts  --  The Jerry Blavat TV Song Storybook (no label identified on the record or album sleeve but 95% certain a product of the Lost Nite label / Crimson Records). Jerry was part owner of these record companies, so it makes sense that 'his' LP would be put out by them. As Crimson were releasing new product by the likes of Lee Andrews & the Hearts, Soul Survivors, Damon Fox, Brothers Two, Chuck Trois & the like at the time, he obviously was aiming his product at teenager dancers who loved soul stuff.

JerryBlavatLP3.jpg

JerryBlavatTVstoryLP.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Jerry even identifies the dance you should do to each track. 

I know lots of those dances ...BUT ... WTF was the Disco Spin (back in 67) ??

It seems you did the Cha cha to the Astors, Frankie & the Classicals plus the Tymes cuts ... I feel some more NS classics may be appearing on STRICTLY in the near future if the BBC find out. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

This is Jerry presumably showing some of those older teenagers how to do "the 81"

That's from much later ... when Jerry B was milking his 60's fame by running special dances for older folk & people who had been teenagers in the 60's (agin a link to the NS scene ??). Jerry's STILL running dances and has a FACEBOOK page to help promote them.

He's also involved with themed cruises, running dance classes / dance sessions each day / night on ships for the duration of those cruises ... so once agin a link to the NS scene here.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Bought the album in the 70ts and to this day wonder why there was no picture of Frankie & The Classicals in the enclosed storybook when there were pics of other artists! Great album, sound quality a bit low probably due to squeezing so many tracks into an album.

there were rumours it came out in the uk on Philips, but I have never seen one.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi All.....The first LP that I had with what we call Northern Soul sounds, was a solo artist not a various artist LP.  I hope it counts and belongs on this thread, as it contains at least 6 trax that were massive at the Twisted Wheel, The Torch and also Wigan where some of the trax were West Coast instrumentals of Randy Woods Mirwood catalogue.  So what is this LP that I have prized all these years?... JACKIE LEE - THE DUCK - LONDON Records, it was not until 1971 that JAY BOY issued the 45s that are still collected, 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Shufflin

my minter got delivered from the US today - what a fantastic piece of soul record history this is, listening to it now

Chapter 3 of the 12" booklet is titled " They Came, They Saw, They Grooved!"

perfect

Edited by Shufflin
extra info
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!