Luckey Davis - It’s not where you start.

Fishdockroad

8 minutes ago, Fishdockroad said:

Seem to be hearing  this a lot lately. On a lot of podcasts and out and about. Anyone know the going rate at the minute please? 

First and second press of this. 1st is yellow 2nd orange. Plenty about and I would say £40 - but that’s a guess. Who knows in today’s market!

Big spin in the early 80’s. Nice record.

Pete

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

First and second press of this. 1st is yellow 2nd orange. Plenty about and I would say £40 - but that’s a guess. Who knows in today’s market!

Big spin in the early 80’s. Nice record.

Pete

Depends who you talk to as to which came first, Dave Raistrick found the first bulk of them and they were orange I believe although yellow was the first seen.  Would've been pressed about the same time IMO.  Price more like £75 as it sold for that just last month (yellow copy), pretty quick too I believe. Also an orange copy for £50

Edited by chalky
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, chalky said:

Depends who you talk to as to which came first, Dave Raistrick found the first bulk of them and they were orange I believe although yellow was the first seen.  Would've been pressed about the same time IMO.  Price more like £75 as it sold for that just last month (yellow copy), pretty quick too I believe. Also an orange copy for £50

Ay up Chalky!

I think the yellow press is dated 1979 and the orange as 1980. I've got the orange one which I think I got from John at Soul Bowl. 

Always liked the lyrics.

All the best mate.

Pete

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Ay up Chalky!

I think the yellow press is dated 1979 and the orange as 1980. I've got the orange one which I think I got from John at Soul Bowl. 

Always liked the lyrics.

All the best mate.

Pete

The 1980 is definitely wrong, both have same run out details too if memory serves.  I've always considered yellow first mind but I guess it matters little.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

1 hour ago, Fishdockroad said:

You saying that there both 1979 then Chalky?

I haven't seen a definitive answer with evidence to say which is first or to say the orange is 1980 but I was told by a well respected collector that it wasn't 1980 as he had a copy before then.  They weren't that far apart from each other.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, chalky said:

I haven't seen a definitive answer with evidence to say which is first or to say the orange is 1980 but I was told by a well respected collector that it wasn't 1980 as he had a copy before then.  They weren't that far apart from each other.

I'm pretty sure the yellow was first. If nothing else it's based on the fact that I'm always last to get a record and mine is orange!

Social source share

5 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

I'm pretty sure the yellow was first. If nothing else it's based on the fact that I'm always last to get a record and mine is orange!

I think Dave Raistrick found them first at the distributors warehouse, orange. But Lucky Davis said the yellow was first when I asked him.  Probably juts two print runs close to each other rather than a reissue as such using whatever labels and colours were to hand.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
22 hours ago, Peter99 said:

LOL !

Social source share

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, philb said:

Seems like all the ones on youtube that are not yellow are being commented on by Luckey  Davis and he's saying they are all bootlegs.

Both legit, not all artists are privvy to what the label did.  Don Gardner didn’t know cheating kind was released, same for many others. Both yellow and orange done from the same master. Identical in every way apart from the label colour. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!