Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Gordon wynter

Spencer and Percy wiggins

Recommended Posts

I went to manchester.  About two thirds full downstairs, upstairs not used.   Very good show but disappointing turnout given how many soul music lovers live within an hour of the place. Couple of videos on my facebook page. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weren't the UK shows prompted by Spencer Wiggins' trip to Europe for a big Soul Weekender show there (along with the Vandellas, LaLa Brooks & Swamp Dogg) ??

Edited by Roburt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea mate , 100 Club ...

Great gig and both sang their hearts out ... and came out after for signings .. 

Not full and more around for Spencer than Percy ... and then both sang together for last 3 or so songs ... 

A good night 

78E19C93-BDBF-40A2-9479-9569DA7EFA63.jpeg

3ECCA748-2FE9-4F8A-889C-06CC4B711C7D.jpeg

2753379A-63DC-4399-B77B-AC97E3903572.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chalky said:

The shows have been promoted for some months now, early this year at least.

 

but not a mention on here

we have a busy and active event guide

with a live event section, front page news articles features etc etc etc

no event guide entry or even a mention on the forums, whys that then ?

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, chalky said:

I went to manchester.  About two thirds full downstairs, upstairs not used.   Very good show but disappointing turnout given how many soul music lovers live within an hour of the place. Couple of videos on my facebook page. 

We were there too. Never seen seats out in the BOTW before. Great gig though despite lowish numbers and the band were excellent. Top way to spend a birthday 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, mike said:

 

but not a mention on here

we have a busy and active event guide

with a live event section, front page news articles features etc etc etc

no event guide entry or even a mention on the forums, whys that then ?

 

 

 

 

 

Better ask the promoter adrian gibson music or band on the wall, its advertised elsewhere

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chalky said:

Better ask the promoter adrian gibson music or band on the wall, its advertised elsewhere

you think that some member may have mentioned it seeing that this, after all, is a UK soul music discussion forum/site

ah well, sign of the times I guess

never mind, guess just need to tighten things up 'live events' wise here 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chalky said:

The shows have been promoted for some months now, early this year at least.

Well I was totally unaware of them both & only began looking if there were UK shows after I saw a Facebook posting about the Euro Weekender.

If folk who are on here knew about them months ago, then why not pass the info along ??

Edited by Roburt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Roburt said:

Well I was totally unaware of them both & only began looking if there were UK shows after I saw a Facebook posting about the Euro Weekender.

If folk who are on here knew about them months ago, then why not pass the info along ??

I think a lot of people who didnt know about this might have attended.

 

i would have loved to have seen these two but was unaware of it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well from my point of view , I had thought it a bit strange that it hadn’t been posted on here a lot earlier .. 

I’m no longer a regular on the scene , and only do the occasional nighter but loads and loads of live gigs ...

Considering the London gig was at a really well know venue , I would have thought that there would be more 100 Club regulars that knew about this gig .

I found out about it the week before the gig , through “ Twickets “ website , which sells tickets for gigs at list price or less ... well happy at the price I paid . 

And what a great venue to see Kool and the Gang at Christmas ... can’t wait for “ Open Sesame “ 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, dylan said:

I think a lot of people who didnt know about this might have attended.

 

i would have loved to have seen these two but was unaware of it.

 

 

In my experience of going to see acts at band on the wall I doubt posting here would have generated too many more sales. Seen very few active scene goers tbh.  But I will do my best to pass on any acts I see coming to the uk in future. 

Keni Burke is doing a few shows in January....

Lee Fields is appearing in London and he is always a great show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm on the BOTW mailing list and I would have thought that other folk within reasonable traveling distance would be too. I've seen Lee Fields, Joe Quarterman,  Marlena Shaw, Cymande, Quantic, Alice Russell and others there. If that's not enough reason to sign up, I don't know what is.

I agree with Chalky though that when other soul/funk/R&B performers have been playing there and it's been mentioned on the forum, there never appears to have been more then half a dozen (if that) Soul Source members at the gigs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'm on the BOTW mailing list and I would have thought that other folk within reasonable traveling distance would be too. I've seen Lee Fields, Joe Quarterman,  Marlena Shaw, Cymande, Quantic, Alice Russell and others there. If that's not enough reason to sign up, I don't know what is.

I agree with Chalky though that when other soul/funk/R&B performers have been playing there and it's been mentioned on the forum, there never appears to have been more then half a dozen (if that) Soul Source members at the gigs.

we did have a botw member who posted up show info up into the event guide

@Band on the Wall was the member,  but I think they no longer work for the venue ?

the posts made did seem to have got a lot of interest going by views etc and would guess that helped both exposure and attendance a fair bit

as said looking at taking up the current slack on this side of events - starting next week should be back up to speed

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike said:

we did have a botw member who posted up show info up into the event guide

@Band on the Wall was the member,  but I think they no longer work for the venue ?

the posts made did seem to have got a lot of interest going by views etc and would guess that helped both exposure and attendance a fair bit

as said looking at taking up the current slack on this side of events - starting next week should be back up to speed

 

 

 

 

Adrian Gibson Music Productions maybe one to watch, he promotes many that appear at BOTW.  He doesn't have a mailing list though from what I can see.  Keni Burke with four dates might appeal to some, I can't make it though as it is mid week :/

Edited by chalky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

31 minutes ago, chalky said:

Adrian Gibson Music Productions maybe one to watch, he promotes many that appear at BOTW.  He doesn't have a mailing list though from what I can see.  Keni Burke with four dates might appeal to some, I can't make it though as it is mid week :/

I get the mailing list mate. Scroll to the bottom and you can subscribe for updates:

http://agmp.co.uk/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chalky said:

was looking all over for that :D  cheers pal

My pleasure Chalky - I keep seeing great stuff from AGMP at the Under The Bridge venue in London as well, but it always seems to be a week before or after we've arranged to go there. Might try to hit Detroit Cobras in April though! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

My pleasure Chalky - I keep seeing great stuff from AGMP at the Under The Bridge venue in London as well, but it always seems to be a week before or after we've arranged to go there. Might try to hit Detroit Cobras in April though! :D

working away all week it can be difficult to see some of the acts, days holiday on Monday to see Spencer and Percy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My shop's closed Sunday/Monday so it worked well for us. Plus, as I said, Sunday was my birthday so it panned out brilliantly. You're right though, unlike soul nights, which are invariably weekend events, touring acts from the US have to play most days of the week so it requires a lot of commitment to see them. In my old job I used to do the same and take a days leave to see people in Manchester, Leeds, London, Newcastle and sometimes London - doing a quick two day dash. The rewards of seeing some of these old ladies and gents in the flesh sure makes up for it though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×