Spencer and Percy wiggins

1 hour ago, chalky said:

The shows have been promoted for some months now, early this year at least.

but not a mention on here

we have a busy and active event guide

with a live event section, front page news articles features etc etc etc

no event guide entry or even a mention on the forums, whys that then ?

Edited by mike
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, chalky said:

I went to manchester.  About two thirds full downstairs, upstairs not used.   Very good show but disappointing turnout given how many soul music lovers live within an hour of the place. Couple of videos on my facebook page. 

We were there too. Never seen seats out in the BOTW before. Great gig though despite lowish numbers and the band were excellent. Top way to spend a birthday 😊

Social source share

12 hours ago, mike said:

but not a mention on here

we have a busy and active event guide

with a live event section, front page news articles features etc etc etc

no event guide entry or even a mention on the forums, whys that then ?

Better ask the promoter adrian gibson music or band on the wall, its advertised elsewhere

Social source share

4 minutes ago, chalky said:

Better ask the promoter adrian gibson music or band on the wall, its advertised elsewhere

you think that some member may have mentioned it seeing that this, after all, is a UK soul music discussion forum/site

ah well, sign of the times I guess

never mind, guess just need to tighten things up 'live events' wise here 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, chalky said:

The shows have been promoted for some months now, early this year at least.

Well I was totally unaware of them both & only began looking if there were UK shows after I saw a Facebook posting about the Euro Weekender.

If folk who are on here knew about them months ago, then why not pass the info along ??

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

9 hours ago, Roburt said:

Well I was totally unaware of them both & only began looking if there were UK shows after I saw a Facebook posting about the Euro Weekender.

If folk who are on here knew about them months ago, then why not pass the info along ??

I think a lot of people who didnt know about this might have attended.

i would have loved to have seen these two but was unaware of it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Well from my point of view , I had thought it a bit strange that it hadn’t been posted on here a lot earlier .. 

I’m no longer a regular on the scene , and only do the occasional nighter but loads and loads of live gigs ...

Considering the London gig was at a really well know venue , I would have thought that there would be more 100 Club regulars that knew about this gig .

I found out about it the week before the gig , through “ Twickets “ website , which sells tickets for gigs at list price or less ... well happy at the price I paid . 

And what a great venue to see Kool and the Gang at Christmas ... can’t wait for “ Open Sesame “ 👍

Social source share

14 hours ago, dylan said:

I think a lot of people who didnt know about this might have attended.

i would have loved to have seen these two but was unaware of it.

In my experience of going to see acts at band on the wall I doubt posting here would have generated too many more sales. Seen very few active scene goers tbh.  But I will do my best to pass on any acts I see coming to the uk in future. 

Keni Burke is doing a few shows in January....

Lee Fields is appearing in London and he is always a great show. 

Social source share

I'm on the BOTW mailing list and I would have thought that other folk within reasonable traveling distance would be too. I've seen Lee Fields, Joe Quarterman,  Marlena Shaw, Cymande, Quantic, Alice Russell and others there. If that's not enough reason to sign up, I don't know what is.

I agree with Chalky though that when other soul/funk/R&B performers have been playing there and it's been mentioned on the forum, there never appears to have been more then half a dozen (if that) Soul Source members at the gigs.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

I'm on the BOTW mailing list and I would have thought that other folk within reasonable traveling distance would be too. I've seen Lee Fields, Joe Quarterman,  Marlena Shaw, Cymande, Quantic, Alice Russell and others there. If that's not enough reason to sign up, I don't know what is.

I agree with Chalky though that when other soul/funk/R&B performers have been playing there and it's been mentioned on the forum, there never appears to have been more then half a dozen (if that) Soul Source members at the gigs.

we did have a botw member who posted up show info up into the event guide

@Band on the Wall was the member,  but I think they no longer work for the venue ?

the posts made did seem to have got a lot of interest going by views etc and would guess that helped both exposure and attendance a fair bit

as said looking at taking up the current slack on this side of events - starting next week should be back up to speed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, mike said:

we did have a botw member who posted up show info up into the event guide

@Band on the Wall was the member,  but I think they no longer work for the venue ?

the posts made did seem to have got a lot of interest going by views etc and would guess that helped both exposure and attendance a fair bit

as said looking at taking up the current slack on this side of events - starting next week should be back up to speed

Adrian Gibson Music Productions maybe one to watch, he promotes many that appear at BOTW.  He doesn't have a mailing list though from what I can see.  Keni Burke with four dates might appeal to some, I can't make it though as it is mid week :/

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

31 minutes ago, chalky said:

Adrian Gibson Music Productions maybe one to watch, he promotes many that appear at BOTW.  He doesn't have a mailing list though from what I can see.  Keni Burke with four dates might appeal to some, I can't make it though as it is mid week :/

I get the mailing list mate. Scroll to the bottom and you can subscribe for updates:

https://agmp.co.uk/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just now, chalky said:

was looking all over for that :D  cheers pal

My pleasure Chalky - I keep seeing great stuff from AGMP at the Under The Bridge venue in London as well, but it always seems to be a week before or after we've arranged to go there. Might try to hit Detroit Cobras in April though! :D

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 minute ago, Godzilla said:

My pleasure Chalky - I keep seeing great stuff from AGMP at the Under The Bridge venue in London as well, but it always seems to be a week before or after we've arranged to go there. Might try to hit Detroit Cobras in April though! :D

working away all week it can be difficult to see some of the acts, days holiday on Monday to see Spencer and Percy.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My shop's closed Sunday/Monday so it worked well for us. Plus, as I said, Sunday was my birthday so it panned out brilliantly. You're right though, unlike soul nights, which are invariably weekend events, touring acts from the US have to play most days of the week so it requires a lot of commitment to see them. In my old job I used to do the same and take a days leave to see people in Manchester, Leeds, London, Newcastle and sometimes London - doing a quick two day dash. The rewards of seeing some of these old ladies and gents in the flesh sure makes up for it though...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!