Vinyl Kids

Dufus

My granddaughter (who's now 15) started going to live gigs in London with mates over a year ago. The indie style groups she likes were jumping on the vinyl bandwagon at the time. So, not even knowing what a record was, she decided she wanted to listen to vinyl on a record player. I had a 'suitcase type' cheap deck system and she 'borrowed it' (along with about 20 of my spare 45's). The stuff I gave her was mainly 70's 'commercial soul' 45's ... not much appealed but her & all her mates really got into KUNG FU FIGHTING ... so much so, that my son & his wife now have nightmares about hearing it.

Needless to say, I never got the deck back, she's now got her own vinyl collection & is asking for money for records as her Xmas pressie. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Had a 8 hour car journey to Inverness 2 years ago with my daughter. Son in law and grand daughter's aged 5 & 3 .

Put on a northern CD my brother had done for me and after playing it through 6 or 7 times they were requesting their favourites.

L. j. Johnson/ Darrell banks/ frank Wilson/Tobi legend 

My son in law has had to download the tunes onto a CD so they can listen to them in his car even though he hates it !

Keeping the music alive 😉

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Thanks for the replies..my son also likes the "joker" cos of the laughing. Good to see kids have better taste than most adults I know. My son was also delighted to see the positive responses and now he's got a better reputation than me! Probably true that though..love to hear more..

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My granddaughters are 8 and six and after doing them a cd I now have "their mix " on my phone. Current fav is backstreets closely followed by ride your pony and tainted love and ghost in my house with handclaps. Showing them records the oldest asked how come you can turn those black cds over........

new big big fav is I don't love you no more .... they love the intro to bits..

Social source share

My son, now in high school, has from a very young age always taken a great interest in my records.  He'd often want to watch when I was playing them, especially as I lowered the stylus onto the wax.  I've never let him use my turntable for fear of damaging an expensive stylus/record but promised, years ago, I'd get him his own record player but never did as I couldn't decide which to buy, vintage or modern.  I did, however, give him an old singles case which had in it a few mixed 45's.

Fast forward to earlier this year and with sons birthday on the horizon we asked what he'd like for his main present.  "A record player" was the reply so that's what we bought him.  I also grabbed some more 45's off the shelf to fill his old record case.  He was chuffed to bits & comes home from school and plays his records first thing every night. Bobby Hebb Love, Love, Love gets lots of plays.  As the record player has the usual 3 speeds, I kept hearing one purple labeled disc regularly being played at 78rpm and thought I'll have to have a listen to this at the correct speed.  A couple of weeks went by and this record was having lots of plays, always at the wrong speed.  By this point son was begining to take less care of his records, which were starting to be left strewn around his room out of their sleeves.  When I picked them up one day I noticed the purple labeled "Pinky and Perky do soul" 45 and the mystery was solved, he'd been playing The Jackson Sisters Day In The Blue!  "Er, can I have that one back please son?" :(

Social source share

When my son was about 3-4 years old he used to like:

TC & The Bricklayers - Up and Down the Hill

Al Green - I Can't Stop

The Persuaders - It's a Thin Line.......

Now he probably thinks they're rubbish and is much more into guitar bands like Catfish & The Bottlemen

Social source share

My nephew has been playing records since he was five. He began dj'ing with me on our camp site on Anglesey  when he was eleven. We used to do a night on bank holiday week ends and have also done birthday parties by request. Tomorrow night we have a very large sixtieth birthday celebration with at least 250 people coming.

One of his favourite sounds is Robert  Parker - let's go baby. Because whenever we left the house he would say- let's go baby, where the action is.

He is now 23 and I hope he continues as these young people are the future.

cheers

mark

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I brought my eldest son up on a diet of hundreds of Soul,Funk and Jazz records from the moment he was born .I would play him loads of stuff on Motown and Stax ,Otis, Carla Thomas,The MG's and Stevie Wonder,also records on  Blue Note,Verve,Vanguard and the CTI labels, Duke Ellington,Freddie Hubbard and Count Basie etc.

Curtis Mayfield and James Brown and Marvin Gaye were spun quite a lot too.

I've been a musician for almost forty years now so I've always had a studio set up at home all through my sons lifetime and around the age of 10 my boy suddenly decided to become a rapper hehe so I would make little tracks for him to rap over and make tape recordings of him which I still have , much to his embarrassment !

The reason for this story is that around the age of 15 or 16 my son went off the rails somewhat and we had a few problems with him which I wont go into here but needless to say I managed to reign him in and got him into college and onto an access course for a prospective place at university.

After 2 years at the college and just over 3 years at uni my son is soon to graduate next summer as a fully qualified sound engineer, he's been recording and producing bands,running the live audio at gigs and producing his own music and beats and tracks for other aspiring artists and singers.He literally spends every day and any spare moment he has making music of some description in the studio.

So next year my son can both finally and officially call himself a 'Doctor Of Sound' once he's graduated.

I sincerely couldn't be more proud of him.

Edited by Soulsides
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Soulsides.. loved the story of your son, no wonder you're proud. Just shows you, educate the kids and they will appreciate "proper" music not the drivel that some many are spoon fed.

Surprised to see there's not many stories of breakages of scratched 45's..

Again thanks for all the views and replies..my wee boy is loving the responses..

Best

Matt

Edited by DUFUS
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!