Worst /Best rhyme in soul?

Guest themroc

Guest themroc

I've always had a problem with "dance and romance", probably the most used rhyme on some of the greatest tunes IMO? My partner has a big issue with Billy Stuart's phenomenal tune 'Sitting in the Park' because he's " sitting on the bench with his back against the fence". However I'll buy any tune that'll "make my liver quiver" Apologies if this has used on a forum elsewhere but any others worse or better? No disrespect intended, Nick. 

Social source share

Guest themroc
7 minutes ago, concrete said:

"they call her princess prrrrriiiiinnnncess ANNE"         Flashlight Pulling My Strings

yukkk!

Sometimes it can be just one line that puts you off. Make you right :ohmy:

Social source share

What about in Percy Sledges "Baby Help Me" about half way through the record Percy comes out with the line " you think you've got me dangling on a string, balls to everything.Well at least it sounds like that to me. Apologies in advance if i've got it wrong Lol.

Another record By The crow :- Your autumn of tomorrow the lyrics are, the length of your hair is the stick of your love.The grass on your fire is the expression of your desire.                      Finally Darrell Bank's class b side our love is in the pocket. He sings our love is in the pocket right there, there in the socket  Regards Fred

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

There is absolutely no contest whatsoever for the worst rhyme in soul music - not northern soul, but the worst ever rhyme in soul music beyond any doubt.

Marvin Gaye:  

Baby, I'm hot just like an oven - I need some loving

It's always made me laugh :lol:

Social source share

Guest themroc

When it comes to great rhymes then you'll be hard pushed to find a finer lyricist than Mr Curtis Mayfield. One of my favourite lines is from the Gene Chandler tune on Constellation What Now,. 

"I've cried so long I can't take it to much longer and with every piece of dirt and bit of hurt makes you stronger..... 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Some great lyrics from don covay on his superdude album , none better than , l was checking out  , she was checking in  , at the no tell hotel.   What a great line makes me wince every time .

Social source share

Guest themroc
11 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Some great lyrics from don covay on his superdude album , none better than , l was checking out  , she was checking in  , at the no tell hotel.   What a great line makes me wince every time .

Bend that lyric till it a out to snap n pull it back. Not sure if it's great or terrible. Good choice sir! 

Social source share

22 hours ago, Mr Fred said:

He sings our love is in the pocket but there's a tear in the socket. Regards Fred

Isn't it 'Our love is in the pocket, right there, there in the socket' (ie it's locked in place) - I believe it's why Soussan wrote 'In the Socket' for Shallamar.

Dx

Social source share

Guest Shufflin

Surely Big Daddy Rogers 'I'm a big man' for this:

"A good woman rules my soul, she's got a sweet tooth, and she loves my jelly roll!"

hahaha

Social source share

Guest Soulsurfer

The best, BEST ever for me has got to be:

"Some say it's a sign of weakness
For a man to beg
Then weak I'd rather be 
If it means having you to keep,
'Cause lately I've been losing sleep"

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

I offered my girl diamond's and pearls  ,   the latest in furs ,   a trip around the world   ,        but all she wanted was  the  pizza pie man ,  roservert Grier .  ,     talk about easily pleased  🎶😱

Social source share

On 02/12/2017 at 16:05, Spain pete said:

This is very true. I've always loved this from Bad Mouthing:

"You think you can get any man you want just because you look good

But it ain't how good the car looks baby it's what's up under the hood"

And how about this from Swamp Dogg's brilliant "Dr. M.L.G." off the Have You Heard This Story? album:

"I was suffering from anxiety which gives symptoms of a heart attack

Physically I was sound as a yen and could've done the work of ten lumberjacks"

I don't think 'lumberjacks' has been used in many soul records....

Social source share

49 minutes ago, Missing Link said:

"I stand accused and I'm guilty

Baby I always will be"

Tony Colton - I Stand Accused

I'll tell the world that I was guilty and I wouldn't stand a chance...

Ill tell the world that I was a victim,a victim of circumstance...

brilliant...good call...:thumbsup:....

Social source share

A couple for me

THE BEST 4 Tops Shake me wake me.

"And as the tears streamed down my face" Just pure raw soul ( sorry no rhyme)

The most bizarre Morris Chestnut Too darn soulful.

Did you put the S in Sweet

Did you put the M in meat ?? OR N in neat?

Did you put the C in Charm

Really hard to tell. Clearly N in neat makes sense. But Alan Pollard had a theory that he was spelling out his initials as in Sweet Morris Chestnut. Sounds very much like M not N.  

Social source share

"Smokey the bear would pull out all his hair if he could see this heart of mine"

For me about the best written set of lyrics is Joanna Garrett's 'Whole New Plan' - if you listen there's no repetition and it all rhymes beautifully with no filling.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
Social source share

Guest themroc

Now tell me she don't sing, "Touch of penis" 

Yes I know everyone makes a joke about this tune but could it be a 'slack' tune. Popular throughout black music history a thinly veild explicit tune about sex? Yeh I know it's all about sex but is this a slack track Jack? 

Social source share

Guest themroc

While I'm banging on, my dirty mind has ruined quite a few songs for me. For example - I Get My Kecks off on the Floor and Wind in my Bowels. Just can't stop singing it when I hear them. :)

Social source share

5 hours ago, themroc said:

Now tell me she don't sing, "Touch of penis" 

Yes I know everyone makes a joke about this tune but could it be a 'slack' tune. Popular throughout black music history a thinly veild explicit tune about sex? Yeh I know it's all about sex but is this a slack track Jack? 

😂😂😂😂😂😂

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!