Original Vinyl Only Policy - A reasoning?

Mike

Recent post in the box forum highlighting jms latest auction results had some interesting reading

Of course as ever with a lot of record dealers spiel there is always the major issue of sales type people trying to tell us all what we should do, but once you get past that elephant, then there is an interesting and quite well put (imo) summary/reasoning of some of the thinking/reasons behind the 'original vinyl only' policy

clipped relevant bits below...

In a world of the "Soul Police" quite rightly insisting Northern Soul DJ arrives for his set without a single repro/bootleg or counterfeit in his DJ box. To own an authentic record of the calibre of Charles Sheffield is crucial, if you'd like to become an accepted Northern Soul DJ, who likes to fill the "floor".

It's not snobbery, but it is one tool available to promoters to lessen the attractiveness of this ubiquitous trade of making and playing Northern Soul bootlegs and taking the DJ set of someone who has carefully accumulated his Northern Soul 45s as originals through love and passion for the music....

.... but there are some who dislike dancing to low-fi records bootlegged from CD's or from You tube sound clips; and there are many, many people decidedly unhappy at DJ's getting bookings and playing bootlegs... whilst collectors and DJ's with original authentic vinyl are sitting on the subs-bench.

full wording via link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/378106-j-manship-auction-results-29112017/

interesting? views ?

Edited by mike
tidying
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest UPTITE U250A
11 minutes ago, mike said:

Recent post in the box forum highlighting jms latest auction results had some interesting reading

Of course as ever with a lot of record dealers spiel there is always the major issue of sales type people trying to tell us all what we should do, but once you get past that elephant, then there is an interesting and quite well put (imo) summary/reasoning of some of the thinking/reasons behind what some may call the 'original vinyl only' policy

clipped relevant bits below...

full wording via link below

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/forums/topic/378106-j-manship-auction-results-29112017/

interesting? views ?

To whom is a dealers comments about originals vs bootlegs dj policy intended? What do you think,Mike -are you enjoying the music less if the dj puts on a bootleg of an original sound that someone requested to play out? Would non collectors be bothered? Does anybody care what originals the dj plays to his public? Apart from the purists,that is? And for the rest who want to enjoy the sound at the venue?

Social source share

Northern soul is unique and peculiar all part of its charm . An analogy I have used in the past is that you can stare at a print of the Mona Lisa and wonder at the genius behind it but its not real it lacks provenace and a tangible link to the artist , the same with vinyl .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If i'd payed £672 for it (JM auction) and then it was played as the re-issue, boot, etc AT A NS Venue/CLUB soul night- i'd be dissapointed to say the least.

Well run events where DJ's play OVO are self regulating. In that guest DJ's know the score. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

My take on this.

OVO policy can not be ‘reasoned’ and it doesn’t need to be.

It is part of the culture that has formed over years. If this aspect is ignored then those involved cannot authenticly claim to be part of that culture. Some try but are bound to fail. I doubt they are having a great time as a result and it doesn’t affect anyone else and therefore easy to ignore.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

I was brought up in the era when Djs at nighters played off original vinyl only and I stuck to that policy throughout the years I spent travelling the country playing  records at various nighters . Spent a small  fortune on my collection and I was proud of the way I stuck to the unwritten rule of my beloved nighter scene.  Soul nights are different . that's up to the promoters regarding the music policy I don't think the punters are as discerning or at some venues they even know what the differences are.  

Steve 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Soul nights are different . that's up to the promoters regarding the music policy I don't think the punters are as discerning or at some venues they even know what the differences are.  

Steve 

I'm sure that is the case for a lot of punters, however in my experience when this has come up in discussion the (if you like the less 'discerning') or those that take less interest in such matters are often surprised that re-issues/boots are played at paying events and sort of assumed that the 'real records' are being played.

Social source share

30 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I was brought up in the era when Djs at nighters played off original vinyl only and I stuck to that policy throughout the years I spent travelling the country playing  records at various nighters . Spent a small  fortune on my collection and I was proud of the way I stuck to the unwritten rule of my beloved nighter scene.  Soul nights are different . that's up to the promoters regarding the music policy I don't think the punters are as discerning or at some venues they even know what the differences are.  

Steve 

Soul night policies shouldn’t be any different to nighter policies in my opinion

• Up vote 3
Social source share

19 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Soul night policies shouldn’t be any different to nighter policies in my opinion

They weren't at nights i was involved in however there are many that just don't care. Instant promoter/dj with a box of boots. Fortunately they don't seem to last long.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

.  Soul nights are different . that's up to the promoters regarding the music policy I don't think the punters are as discerning or at some venues they even know what the differences are.  

Steve 

Agreed Ste.

To many their local Soul Nite is little more than an over 50's Disco. They wouldn't question the DJ at their mates Wedding Disco about the music format, so why would they question it at a Soul Night when to them, the two are pretty much the same?.

Edited by Zed1
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

I totally agree but that's not the case in my  experience, that's why I posted what I did,  I have friends who have been into this music / scene 40 odd  years and they don't honestly care what format its played on they just want to dance and have a good time when they go out.

Steve

• Up vote 3
Social source share

41 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I totally agree but that's not the case in my  experience, that's why I posted what I did,  I have friends who have been into this music / scene 40 odd  years and they don't honestly care what format its played on they just want to dance and have a good time when they go out.

Steve

Used to have a vinyl collection, but was never a 'collector'. I just bought the records I liked (a strange concept I know). TBH I'd much sooner listen and dance to an unknown DJ play a lesser known set on MP3 that a top DJ play yet another set of tired oldies on OVO. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!