Lamont Dozier UK Tour 2018

Chalky

Tuesday 12th June @ Brum Town Hall BUT no tickets on sale yet (probably coz it's a council run venue & they ain't into sorting out 2018 gigs yet).

The whole visit (the Manc / Brighton or the London / Blackpool gigs) will most likely be very close in date to next years Cleggy Weekender (when / if that's sorted & dates / acts are announced). 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

4 hours ago, Roburt said:

Tuesday 12th June @ Brum Town Hall BUT no tickets on sale yet (probably coz it's a council run venue & they ain't into sorting out 2018 gigs yet).

The whole visit (the Manc / Brighton or the London / Blackpool gigs) will most likely be very close in date to next years Cleggy Weekender (when / if that's sorted & dates / acts are announced). 

Cleethorpes will struggle next year, half a dozen weekenders planned and up and running for June next year.  I did hear this week that an announcement was due .  Quite a few already booked for Lamont manc show if it is Cleethorpes that weekend. I can't see it being the week after as that is the Blackpool Festival I think.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

On 02/12/2017 at 11:55, chalky said:

Cleethorpes will struggle next year, half a dozen weekenders planned and up and running for June next year.  I did hear this week that an announcement was due .  Quite a few already booked for Lamont manc show if it is Cleethorpes that weekend. I can't see it being the week after as that is the Blackpool Festival I think.

Cleethorpes  weekender is on  8th june - 11th june 2018...deposit paid..looking forward to it . best weekender imo...

Social source share

6 minutes ago, staceys dad said:

Cleethorpes  weekender is on  8th june - 11th june 2018...deposit paid..looking forward to it . best weekender imo...

I agree it is and has been the best for years.  But the lack of info isn’t helping.  Had quite a few ask me if I’d heard anything and I haven’t.  

Looks like being the Saturday night only for us. 

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mcqueen2649 said:

Legend artist........slightly off track, does anyone know if there are any unreleased tracks in the invictus / hot wax / music merchant vaults? or is the cupboard bare!

Didn’t they do some box sets not so long ago with most of the material?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2017 at 14:28, soul shrews said:

Anyone know what sort of show is planned? Will he be doing his solo Invictus/ Warner Bros/Columbia stuff or a Motown songbook kinda thing?

Cheers Paul

Good shout this, would not have hesitated years ago, but a Motown songbook is not up my street. If he is doing "Fish aint biting", "Cant get off till the feeling stops", etc etc, then I am in.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 5 weeks later...

Hey, Just a word of warning I was offered this show to promote but turned it down as he did not want to perform any of his material that he originally performed only the hits he wrote for others to promote his songbook album. I like most on here I guess more interested in his own vocal works. I sincerely hope Adrian (AGMP) and Richard (Blackpool) persuaded him to change his approach as would be such a shame if not...with many dissapointed fans...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thanks for the ‘word of warning’, I’ve bought a couple of tickets for one of the concerts so what I’ll probably do instead is stay in with a pot noodle and have a hand shandy over an old soul fanzine while listening to some decidedly non-hit soul vinyls

regards E. Holland, Detroit

Edited by Sutty
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

It would be a total waste if he doesn't perform his many 70's solo anthems ... they're classics in the same way that his 60's Motown songs were ... BUT you get to hear the REAL ARTIST perform the 70's stuff so much more authentic ...

MIND YOU ... as I'll be at Cleggy anyway, the opportunities to see him will be much diminished.

Social source share

Someone PLEASE get word to him, we love his hits, but we really want to hear his solo material. It would be a tragic misunderstanding of his UK fan base if he comes and just plays solo renditions of his Motown hit factory stuff at the expense of his wonderfully creative repertoire from Warners / ABC /Columbia etc. Fortunately my tickets are for Brighton only 15 minutes on the train.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Steve G said:

Someone PLEASE get word to him, we love his hits, but we really want to hear his solo material. It would be a tragic misunderstanding of his UK fan base if he comes and just plays solo renditions of his Motown hit factory stuff at the expense of his wonderfully creative repertoire from Warners / ABC /Columbia etc. Fortunately my tickets are for Brighton only 15 minutes on the train.  

Exactly what I said! I sincerely hope he has had a change of heart as we love HIS music as a vocalist...

Social source share

16 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

One of Soul Music's greatest and legendary songwriters sat at the piano performing and talking about Soul Music's greatest and legendary songs....what a total waste of time !  Why would you support such a thing ?

Changed my thought process now Mike, I'm out 

Social source share

Bought tickets before the Sage even knew he was on.

When we were looking for Soul acts for Fleetwood/ Morecambe/ Southport, Lamont was top of the list and, apart from the Dells, the only act we never got. Expect him to do not very good versions of the stuff he wrote for Tops/ Supremes and likely Why Cant We be Lovers, Fish aint Bitin and Back to my Roots.

Having said that, it's impossible to overstate the significance of this, but I'd probably rather he walk on stage, allow us to pay homage for a few minutes and leave. Finally got to see Leroy Hutson in Dec (along with Al Green, the other greatest living Soul artist) after a PA 30 years ago and two cancelled gigs since, and it proved a little too much for me, so probably worth coming to the Sage to see me fall apart.

I'm also hoping to get to Blackpool though currently down to work, but that's mostly Margie Joseph and a little bit Patti Austen, Eloise Laws and Ann Sexton.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/7/2017 at 08:21, Goldsoul said:

Lamont appears late Sunday(June 17) afternoon in the Blackpool Opera House with a music show and Exclusive Q&A. 

6F00CE12-DE00-4778-9B59-3420520F16B2.jpeg

0E58D3D7-67C4-45BE-A026-A4663564B5D6.jpeg

31D24D3E-75BD-44C0-8564-2A1D19670515.jpeg

Has there been any direct communication at all with Lamont regarding what material he will be performing ... at least at the Blackpool weekender if not the other gigs ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

a stumble

MOTOWN LEGEND LAMONT DOZIER ANNOUNCES DEBUT UK TOUR FEATURING HIS CLASSIC SONGS 'RE-IMAGINED'

Legendary Songwriter-Producer-Artist and one third of Holland/Dozier/Holland announces his debut UK tour.

Lamont Dozier has written over fifty #1 hits for artists such as Marvin Gaye, Diana Ross & the Supremes, The Four Tops and more as part of the songwriting team Holland/Dozier/Holland.

On this tour Lamont and his band, featuring acclaimed musician/producer/arranger Fred Mollin, will be performing his classic hits in support of a new album, scheduled for 2018 release, which 're-imagines' these iconic songs in a more intimate, 'unplugged' format. Lamont will also, no doubt, share many of the stories behind the songs.

Detroit-born Lamont Dozier was signed to Berry Gordy's Motown Records in 1962. After hooking up with Eddie & Brian Holland, the trio wrote a breath-taking number of hits such as 'Baby Love', 'It's the Same Old Song', 'This Old Heart of Mine', 'Where Did Our Love Go', 'You Can't Hurry Love', 'Reach Out I'll be There', 'Jimmy Mack', 'Stop! In the Name of Love', 'Bernadette', '(Love is Like a) Heatwave', 'Baby I Need Your Loving' and many, many more.

The Invictus & Hot Wax record labels were set up in 1968 by Holland/Dozier/Holland and more hits followed such as 'Band of Gold' by Freda Payne, 'Give Me Just a Little More Time' by Chairmen of the Board and more. In 1972 the Lamont Dozier solo career commenced with 'Why Can't We Be Lovers' followed by more success with 'Fish Ain't Bitin' and 'Going Back To My Roots'.
Lamont Dozier has also collaborated with Simply Red, Kanye West, Alison Moyet, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Mark Ronson, Solange Knowles, Joss Stone amongst many others, during his long and illustrious career.

Special guest support comes from award winning singer/songstress Jo Harman, herself a BBC Radio 2 play-listed artist, whose critically acclaimed and commercially successful recent album, 'People We Become', recorded in Nashville, includes a cameo from soul superstar Michael McDonald.

UK DATES

7th June 2018 Sage 2, Gateshead
8th June The Dancehouse, Manchester
10th June The Old Market, Brighton
11th June St Georges, Bristol
12th June Town Hall, Birmingham
14th June Union Chapel, London
15th June Union Chapel, London
17th June Winter Gardens, Blackpool (Soul Festival 3)

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Radio 2 Blues Show featured forthcoming version of Reach Out duetting with Joe Harman. I thought the album that's being promoted was just going to be a rissue of Reflections, the rather unsatisfactory album of his own versions of some of his Motown Hits, but clearly not.

Sounds in good voice actually but, as I said, I'll be happy just to be in the presence of true greatness, (and not just the cartoon characters the media ram down our throats) to show our appreciation and let him know how much he's meant to us.    

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I've put a request in for him to do at least one track from his Invictus/ABC/Warners era. I don't have his contact details, but I have a mate who does.

I had the once in a lifetime pleasure to meet him and talk to him and watch him work with Terri Walker in the studio, here in the UK, back in September 2004. A day I will never forget.

Watching him write songs in an A4 exercise book and joining in the vocals, doing it all on the hoof so to speak. Then going out for dinner afterwards, asking him all sorts of questions . So much happened I had to write it all down, so I didn't forget.

The few tracks that he wrote and produced for her remain in the can, so who knows what would have become of her career had they been released. She was a lovely lady and has a great voice. This is a good sample of her revamping Al Green's "Never found a girl",

Me with Lamont and Terri

DSCN0007.JPG

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great story, thanks for posting. Terri Walker has released at least 3 solo albums of varying quality, was half of the "Lady" group that released a retro soul album a few years back:

image.jpeg.b1095d4f20c42bb89031fe25c35bfcb5.jpegimage.jpeg.060fe6c8faea22981eba9cbf868fb9d5.jpeg

She has been on countless records alongside and backing others. This is probably my favourite of her most recent releases:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 13/03/2018 at 13:22, Mickey Finn said:

Great story, thanks for posting. Terri Walker has released at least 3 solo albums of varying quality, was half of the "Lady" group that released a retro soul album a few years back:

She has been on countless records alongside and backing others. This is probably my favourite of her most recent releases:

sort off and on topic

just seen this posted

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!