Checkmates Ltd - Fellow's Don't Let The Girls Take Over 7" vinyl

Guest Raincoast

Guest Raincoast

Hi,

I have a 7" vinyl single on Unique Records (Canada) with these songs on it:

Checkmates Ltd. - Fellow's Don't Let The Girls Take Over // Searchin' For Another Love

The Side A song is written by Bobby Massey and the B Side song by Sonny Charles.

I can't find any information about this record and was wondering if anyone on Soul Source would know something.

Thanks!

Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Raincoast said:

Hi,

I have a 7" vinyl single on Unique Records (Canada) with these songs on it:

Checkmates Ltd. - Fellow's Don't Let The Girls Take Over // Searchin' For Another Love

The Side A song is written by Bobby Massey and the B Side song by Sonny Charles.

I can't find any information about this record and was wondering if anyone on Soul Source would know something.

Thanks!

Its common for some Canadian (and other countries) releases to be different from their US 45 rpm releases. Could be that these are tracks on an album which the record company deemed more suitable for the Canadian market. They did many albums so without checking each one, its difficult to be precise.

Social source share

Guest Raincoast

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your message.

I can't find any information about the two songs being recorded by Checkmates Ltd. The songs did not appear on any LP or 45.

There is absolutely no information about Checkmates Ltd. ever recording the songs on this 45.

I will submit the information and photos to discogs one of these days. Maybe other people will have it too.

Social source share

The song has more recently been released here by J B Bingham. This version is credited to H B Barnum as producer. The other side of this 45 features the song ALL ALONE BY THE TELEPHONE which HB cut on Checkmates Ltd in 76. J B's version of ALL ALONE BY THE TELEPHONE originally escaped on UA in 76 and HB produced that version too.

ALSO the B side of that Checkmates Polydor 45 featured a song co-written by Walter Johnson who was originally from Cleveland and worked there with the likes of Bobby Massey. Walter Johnson also worked with the Nights (ABC) in 76 and he cut their album in HB's recording studio. HB & Walter Johnson also worked together on OC Smith's Motown cuts ... so there's obviously linkage between all these projects. I'd guess that the Checkmates Ltd were working in HB's studio about the same time as J B and Walter Johnson / the Nights were also. So the backing track of JB's version was probably made available to Checkmates Ltd (or the other way around) but neither version escaped in the US at that time.

You can listen to JB's version here ...

https://www.northernsouldirect.co.uk/jb-bingham-fellas-don-t-let-the-girls-take-over-all-alone-by-the-telephone-soul-junction-7-vinyl.html

JBBingham45.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert