How the hell is this not massive??

Richard

• Replies 137
  • Views 17.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Or possibly that there was enough Philly-type soul around at the time. By 1979 disco was in full flight and the Philly sound was beginning to sound dated, or maybe too polished for people more excited by funkier or rawer material. I think McFadden and Whitehead had the biggest Philly hit that year, after which the sales began to dry up.

It's a great record and deserved better - good suggestion. Would be good to hear it played out more today.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

has been played out and about over the years i played it when we did the friendship nights about 10 years ago, was classed more as a pop record many moons ago, i have a copy myself and i put an old mate onto it recently and hes playing it regularly at his venue in the north east at the moment

great tune which could have its day

geeeeooooordie

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Patto said:

Here is a great uptempo Northern dancer that i have been  banging on about for years.Never hear of it getting any plays out and cant see how it wasnt a big tune in the past.

One for Lowton and Coming Right Back nights...good call Patto

• Up vote 2
Social source share

4 hours ago, Patto said:

Here is a great uptempo Northern dancer that i have been  banging on about for years.Never hear of it getting any plays out and cant see how it wasnt a big tune in the past.

Yes good sound, used to play this at Solid Hit :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Okay just to put the cat among the pidgeons....Basically WE are getting OLD and most of the "back in the day guys and girls" turn up at events ( Me included") to dance to what we danced to in the 70s so unknown tracks no matter how good just don`t appeal.

For me personally I love to dance to Pay your dues (Drifters) Philly Dog around the world (Jimmy Raye) How can I forget ( Joey Dee) Double life ( Jerry Fuller) etc but apart from Philly dog how many of these get played nowa days? VERY FEW so its just the way of the scene. Politics and whatever drives promoters to employ DJs they think will provide the floor with the right sounds prevail when actualy CLASSICS mixed with quality is what the floor wants but some promoters think they know best .

I have been to loads of events where a guy with a good collection thinks he is a DJ. ...WRONG! Many a guy or girl who dances would make a far better job, as they have a good feel for the pace and type of music needed .  RANT Over.

Edited by PeteSi
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 5.12.2017 at 09:51, richard said:

Thought would be good to do a little thread for records that have all the right ingredients to go massive but just never have.

My first offering is a UK only release on 45 that didn't sell massively, plenty of great "feel good" vibe, danceable, right tempo, builds well,

In my opinion pretty obvious why it isn't massive. There's no unique feature in it. Over the years many, many rather common records went massive almost over night. Why? Because they had a unique feature in it that made them stand out. Be it in the rhythm or the melody or the vocals.

That Lou Rawls song is nice, infact very nice. But to make it pictorial, it's a fish among many other fishes in a sea of good tunes. It doesn't stand out.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

12 hours ago, PeteSi said:

Okay just to put the cat among the pidgeons....Basically WE are getting OLD and most of the "back in the day guys and girls" turn up at events ( Me included") to dance to what we danced to in the 70s so unknown tracks no matter how good just don`t appeal.

Appreciate that Pete, but they only get known if someone plays them :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Benji said:

In my opinion pretty obvious why it isn't massive. There's no unique feature in it. Over the years many, many rather common records went massive almost over night. Why? Because they had a unique feature in it that made them stand out. Be it in the rhythm or the melody or the vocals.

That Lou Rawls song is nice, infact very nice. But to make it pictorial, it's a fish among many other fishes in a sea of good tunes. It doesn't stand out.

Benji, yes exactly what the thread is about - what tracks do you think stand out that are not massive? Seems to have the right ingredients, catchy, great vocal, great musicians, great melody, harmony, hook, right pace etc. and yes a lot of fish in the sea so should be loads of suggestions.

Only the poster may think so or maybe everyone will agree - it's all about opinion and maybe, just maybe, one of the tracks that get a mention makes someone think bloody hell that is a cracking track how comes I never picked that up before. 

Everyone on here must have at least one track that they think should be massive that isn't or they would stop collecting after they got their "trophy" pieces.

Maybe some are afraid they will get shot down with their suggestions or else this thread should be going massive under the tide of good suggestions :lol:

Edited by richard
Social source share

23 hours ago, Patto said:

Heard this at Wigan in late 70's, got my copy around the same time. Used to play it at Rudzys soul nights at the Holy Cross in Leicester on the few occasions I spun any there. Great/underplayed record imo 😊

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Why records go massive and other records just bubble under or worse is a mystery , 2 records that come straight to mind of the massive type are Womacks ' So Many Sides Of You'' and David Ruffins '' Everything's Coming Up Love''

The Womack track I would never have thought of any more than a great album track and the Ruffin track has the most banal lyric he must have ever sung.

Do not know if Little Milton version of '' Let Me Back In '' did anything but to me it has all the ingredients to go massive , apart from rarity.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

To be totally honest a lot of records that go massive make me wonder how rare they really are, there are loads that the rarity has only come from popularity so not actually rare just hard to come by because everyone's after them. Am I gonna get done by the rarity police :lol:

Social source share

7 hours ago, bbrich said:

i've played this out a couple of times and i think it is a great dancer...   Devons 'groovin with my thing' .  would be interested if it has or is getting plays .

Great tune! I'll be playing it at The Bury All-nighter on Boxing Day (In The Main Room this time) Have also played it in The Kenwood Suite at Bury, and it went down just fine :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Found this she was taking about Someone To Treat Me

My name is Jimmie Boone Amos.I was the lead singer of The DeVons. At the time this particular song was recorded at was only fifteen years old. The group which consisted of myself and my two best friends Debra and D.J. recorded two other songs "Wise Up Girl" and "Groovin' with my thing". I thank you for bringing back so many wonderful memories for me. Again thanks for the memories!!!!

It also had her email address which I've deleted

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 12/7/2017 at 08:39, Patto said:

Another one that had a brief moment in the 80s but cant understand why the Northern oldies guys dont spin it more often.Thats 2 from me both in my box so ill keep playing them from time to time given the chance.

T

This is massive!  In my house anyway :thumbsup:

Good call.

I'll nominate this one...

the-jay-walkers-mickey-holiday-its-been-too-long-wisteria.thumb.jpg.9ec12877133818ea720864acd9ade84a.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!