Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Jump to content
  • Sign Up
richard

How the hell is this not massive??

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

Don't think that will happen...it will mean giving a certain person some credit.......seems he is air brushed out of the TSWONS these days...

It’s a pretty awful record though. That’s probably the main reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 23:13, Cunnie said:

A couple more from Lou Rawls that have been criminally overlooked IMO.

 

I remember Robbie Vincent at the time getting behind "You can't go home no more", but I've never heard it played out. Maybe that it was on Blue Note meant that it didn't get picked up so much in soul circles.

Lou's remake of "Family reunion" would sound great played out, all classic Philly strings and things, really unusual quality for 1987.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

I remember Robbie Vincent at the time getting behind "You can't go home no more", but I've never heard it played out. Maybe that it was on Blue Note meant that it didn't get picked up so much in soul circles.

Lou's remake of "Family reunion" would sound great played out, all classic Philly strings and things, really unusual quality for 1987.

 

It's an old Modernism spin of mine Mickey. The Bluenote album that it is on is pretty awful too apart from this track. It did get a 7" release too but only in Australia on the Capitol label but it must be pretty scarce as the only copy I have ever seen is the one I was lucky enough to buy. There is also an edited shorter version on the flip without the long drawn out intro. Looks bloody nice too as do most Aussie releases.
Also agree r/e the Family Reunion remake.

Edited by Cunnie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2017 at 22:42, eddiefoster said:

This one for me - I know it's had its moments but can't believe it's not an automatic big room anthem including right now!

https://youtu.be/g_6Z0W1x1cg

....sure this was a one time Guy H spin...I remember that Northern soul show he did with Janice Long on radio one back in '87.....I think this was the opening track......fantastic record.....:thumbsup:...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

13 hours ago, Patto said:

Any opinions on this one.I remember lots of plays during the mid 90s mainly North West  venues.after hearing it expected it to do more and picked up a Solid Hit issue but never heard it much since.

 

And was issued on Track label in the U.K.

Really like this 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/12/2017 at 22:04, Patto said:

I was put on to this one a few years back by Martyn Bird,and the first person i actually heard play it out was Sheffields Chris Brooke.Got myself a copy soon after and cant understand why it didnt become a big sound back in the day

 

Got a spare if anyone’s looking for this one - just drop me a pm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:19, Jerry Hipkiss said:

One from me - what a stormer!

 

 

Reasonable enough tune Jerry, but pales into insignificance compared with t'other side.......... Only IMHO of course! :-)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading through this thread shows how much stuff is out the waiting to get played, even i as a part time dj  try to introduce new stuff (depending on venue, can't get away with it at an oldies only night but i do try at my very few across the board nights). I don't know if this has made it yet but this is one that i am going to be playing when i get the chance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, steve woomble said:

One from me, before the wooden hill..... Probably is/has been/was (etc) massive........

But not in my post code/vicinity/envelope.....

Magnificent!!.......

 

Fab Steve (another for the ‘wants’ list ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

 Been playing this all year & some of last year gets a great dance floor reaction but hardly ever hear  it out i reckon its a corker!

 

Full of atmosphere bet that sounds great mid nighter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAN STACEY said:

 Been playing this all year & some of last year gets a great dance floor reaction but hardly ever hear  it out i reckon its a corker!

 

...at the start I likened it to Romance Watson "where does that....", but that change of tempo turned it into another song!!!!

...Good Spin...:thumbsup:...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IAN STACEY said:

 

   Heres another fantastic tune forgotten by people ,pushed aside by melba moores rendition .this packs a great punchline & a basic 4/4 rhythm never fail to stand those hairs on the back of you neck .IMO 

Think i also recall some of the old Cleethorpes pier guys saying this was a big tune back in their day.Like you say it was eclipsed when the Melba Moore emerged mid 80s.Melba is in my opinion the far better version but Bobby is better for the dancefloor with a great Northern Soul Tempo.

Edited by Patto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Patto said:

Think i also recall some of the old Cleethorpes pier guys saying this was a big tune back in their day.Like you say it was eclipsed when the Melba Moore emerged mid 80s.Melba is in my opinion the far better version but Bobby is better for the dancefloor with a great Northern Soul Tempo.

i agree melba moores is dogs  got mine at the first allnighter adey did at the 100 club but i still kept searching for this one because of its ability to get a dance floor bubbling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, IAN STACEY said:

i agree melba moores is dogs  got mine at the first allnighter adey did at the 100 club but i still kept searching for this one because of its ability to get a dance floor bubbling 

Really? It didn't turn up until about 86 as far as I remember (was it not the 86 anniversary single - maybe even 87, I forget).

Dx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DaveNPete said:

Really? It didn't turn up until about 86 as far as I remember (was it not the 86 anniversary single - maybe even 87, I forget).

Dx

Was first played 84/85 but yes the anniversary single was the 5th or 6th anniversary in 86. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is one that might interest you Ian.Back in the 80s i remember hearing Guy H play a frantic 100mph instrumental.I never found out its title and Lost track of it and never heard it out anywhere until i saw it on this you tube clip from Nuneaton nighter 2013.

The Dancers are of course Andy Cannon and Sharon two of the very best and prob the only 2 these days that could dance to it .

Anyway Mr Martyn Bird put me out of my misery by identifying the record as the Cover up Lord Thunder--- Kaos.Real artist Blockbusters--Muddy part 2

Always thought it should have got more action but the frantic tempo does it no favours for todays ageing dancers

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, chalky said:

Was first played 84/85 but yes the anniversary single was the 5th or 6th anniversary in 86. 

...and also came out on Horaces in '86,with the superb "pretty part of you" by Tommy Hunt on the flip.......

Edited by MGM 1251

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Patto said:

Here is one that might interest you Ian.Back in the 80s i remember hearing Guy H play a frantic 100mph instrumental.I never found out its title and Lost track of it and never heard it out anywhere until i saw it on this you tube clip from Nuneaton nighter 2013.

The Dancers are of course Andy Cannon and Sharon two of the very best and prob the only 2 these days that could dance to it .

Anyway Mr Martyn Bird put me out of my misery by identifying the record as the Cover up Lord Thunder--- Kaos.Real artist Blockbusters--Muddy part 2

Always thought it should have got more action but the frantic tempo does it no favours for todays ageing dancers

 

What a terrible noise :D

Len :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×