My UK ACTION 45 collection is now complete.

dthedrug

Much respect D! Well done.  Will you keep it as an entity or move it on now?   A far better achievement in my eyes than someone buying a 1 off rarest of the Rare 45 and crowing about it! Better to spend a long while chasing individual titles   Staying power !!

Pete

Edited by PeteDillon
Social source share

Well done Dave. Great label that got me collecting years ago. Have you got the promotional listing that they sent out to record shops. I think it was a A4 leaflet folded in 3 that was a complete list of all releases at the time. The one I saw had most of the red/yellow titles listed. Not seen one for 40 years so must be rare by now.

Rick

Social source share

:hatsoff2:HI All...I will attempt to answer all the questions, but I do feel it is an achievement in todays collect scene, as most of the 45s were under £10, this fact alone shows that people look on collecting certain 45s as booby prize, there is some rare soul that go cheap, in saying that records like Eddie Holmans "II surrender" is very rare and very hard to find a Demo it's a sham the A is on the official A side, my Demo the A is faded in places,

In 67 I left school, because of where I live some of my mates were from ?Jamaica this meant I was lucky enough to attend the all-nighter that were in our area, the  music changed from a rock steady beat into reggae, I started to collect going to Brixton Market, MUSIC CITY in 71 the black scene became very political & although I had about 2000 45s started to also get into soul music in a big way, again I was lucky enough to make friend with local DJ & record shop owner BRUCE WICKS he was a MOD, he sold many records from the PAMA catalogue he also turned me on to the ACTION Label this was in 68, however it was not until I met Mick Smith in 71 I had a real mentor in collecting, Mick had a strong Dislike to Reggae but his knowledge of soul was outstanding, & the records he had at that time I still have not got.

As far as the CHOSEN FEW 45, What I do know, I'm sure Mick would have found a copy, it did get a release on a B&C label that followed on when action closed,

Mick H did tell me about Harmonica Fats for sale however when I tried to by it, the seller said no to me as I had never bought from the company, very strange,

I have most Demos but how many Demos that were put out by B&C I don't know, and I don't have much info except for what I can read about in B^S mags I am interested in any info about the history of ISLAND, SUE, ACTION, POEPLE & B&C and any other records like ALADIN Ext in the linage of ISLAND STORY  KTF All UK collectors, & HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY READERS (the Ed)

• Up vote 1
Social source share

14 hours ago, dthedrug said:

As far as the CHOSEN FEW 45, What I do know, I'm sure Mick would have found a copy, it did get a release on a B&C label that followed on when action closed

Well, it got released two years later in 1976 on Miami (https://www.45cat.com/record/mia401) - but you've never seen an Action one? Weird because the numbers before it and after it were both released...

Social source share

15 hours ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:HI All...I will attempt to answer all the questions, but I do feel it is an achievement in todays collect scene, as most of the 45s were under £10, this fact alone shows that people look on collecting certain 45s as booby prize, there is some rare soul that go cheap, in saying that records like Eddie Holmans "II surrender" is very rare and very hard to find a Demo it's a sham the A is on the official A side, my Demo the A is faded in places,

In 67 I left school, because of where I live some of my mates were from ?Jamaica this meant I was lucky enough to attend the all-nighter that were in our area, the  music changed from a rock steady beat into reggae, I started to collect going to Brixton Market, MUSIC CITY in 71 the black scene became very political & although I had about 2000 45s started to also get into soul music in a big way, again I was lucky enough to make friend with local DJ & record shop owner BRUCE WICKS he was a MOD, he sold many records from the PAMA catalogue he also turned me on to the ACTION Label this was in 68, however it was not until I met Mick Smith in 71 I had a real mentor in collecting, Mick had a strong Dislike to Reggae but his knowledge of soul was outstanding, & the records he had at that time I still have not got.

As far as the CHOSEN FEW 45, What I do know, I'm sure Mick would have found a copy, it did get a release on a B&C label that followed on when action closed,

Mick H did tell me about Harmonica Fats for sale however when I tried to by it, the seller said no to me as I had never bought from the company, very strange,

I have most Demos but how many Demos that were put out by B&C I don't know, and I don't have much info except for what I can read about in B^S mags I am interested in any info about the history of ISLAND, SUE, ACTION, POEPLE & B&C and any other records like ALADIN Ext in the linage of ISLAND STORY  KTF All UK collectors, & HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY READERS (the Ed)

very dedicated to get them all well done 

Social source share

Nice to hear the background Dave. Mick Smith the legend a big chunk of my collection came from him. Which are your favourite actions?  Apart from the biggies mine are :

brenda and tabulations - that's in the past (r/y great strings)

bobby Williams - baby I need your love (r/y sure shot)

bobby Patterson - I'm in love with you (b/g - good flip too)

esquires - my sweet baby (g/b Chicago yes)

Tom green - endless confusion )g/b X/O)

endless fun. Cheers. Paul T 

Social source share

:hatsoff2:Hi All I have great respect for Mick as a mentor & sage, when I first met him he was DJ at the DIVE BAR in HITCHIN, he would play top rare soul and DJs at clubs like PEP at the CATS, Keith Minshal TORCH & Tony Jebb BLACKPOOL MECCA would buy top sounds off him & he discovered many classics, I remember buying Buster PERSON Pretty Woman ACTION of him at the time it was cover up as Otis Smith  at the TORCH & HONYEND on SPARK I paid £1 each at the time however they were still on sale in record shops for 50p a clever man is Mick,

As for the fave ACTION records and other stuff will have to wait as I have to get ready for a funeral at 11am.

Social source share

On 12/5/2017 at 20:19, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:Hi All, To-Day  I received the final record that I needed to complete the UK ACTION label, to help me with the quest to locate the missing 45.  must give Nick Marshal from stoke on Trent he got the 45 & posted to me in around 72 hours not bad as I have been after it for over one year  So I have tp tell every one that NICK MARSHAL is a true '1 SOUL BROTHER  I will play them from start to the finish I wonder how long it would take,

so there you go I'm a Happy man to-day:yes: DAVE K.......P.S the record below was my big want!?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               now

ACTION 4507 001.jpg

Hello Dave,very happy for you that you managed to complete your Action Lable 45 run....now...next question is,what's your next task?...a Soul City run?.....a Deep Soul run,or is it gonna be a secret until that last disc has been slotted into place?.....:g:.....:thumbsup:.....

Social source share

In my opinion the Action label is a tough one to complete so well done Dave. I also consider the UK Sue label a toughie as well but both Soul City and Deep Soul issues are or were pretty easy - I completed both in the early seventies and there are some great records on those labels too. Having seen Dave’s success he’s inspired me to have another go at completing the Action label as I’d sort of given up. If you’re reading this Dave are all your Action records in good nick with clean labels and centres as today this is very difficult to do? Cheers Dave

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, dwr said:

In my opinion the Action label is a tough one to complete so well done Dave. I also consider the UK Sue label a toughie as well but both Soul City and Deep Soul issues are or were pretty easy - I completed both in the early seventies and there are some great records on those labels too. Having seen Dave’s success he’s inspired me to have another go at completing the Action label as I’d sort of given up. If you’re reading this Dave are all your Action records in good nick with clean labels and centres as today this is very difficult to do? Cheers Dave

Yes,you're right about the U.K. Action and Sue lables,don't fancy the challenge of collecting them in tip top condition....DS and SC labels might have been easy in the seventies,but there is probably more people chasing them now,especially as both have been revived....but I think the big two are always gonna be the TMG's and the Stateside's(tho not all SS releases have soul content)....,:thumbsup:....,

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Peter99 said:

Well done Dave. An organised and focused mission. My collecting is very random and hit and miss. I have a very small collection but still don’t know what I have! 

Pete

:thumbsup:

Morning Peter.....think that's the best way,just plucking and picking at the sounds you like....not being committed to buying records you don't like beacause the lable  matches :( 

...although a complete "run"on your shelves does look bloody good.....:wicked:...:yes:...:thumbsup:...

Social source share

17 minutes ago, MGM 1251 said:

Morning Peter.....think that's the best way,just plucking and picking at the sounds you like....not being committed to buying records you don't like beacause the lable  matches :( 

...although a complete "run"on your shelves does look bloody good.....:wicked:...:yes:...:thumbsup:...

Hello mate

Yes I agree. Having said that I did once have all of the Destiny label reissues on white demo’s. Not rare at all but a nice set non the less. I leant them to someone and they never returned them! 

Pete

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Hello mate

Yes I agree. Having said that I did once have all of the Destiny label reissues on white demo’s. Not rare at all but a nice set non the less. I leant them to someone and they never returned them! 

Pete

Oh dear....instant collection for the guy you leant them to...just to think,some vendors have these individualy marked up for farely biggish money these days....

.....:(.....:thumbsup:.....,

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 07:33, dwr said:

:hatsoff2:HI to all of you who understand the capture and meaning of GOT ANY BRITISH,  

Over the years that I have collected UK 45s, I have only tried to collect records that are meaningful to myself, I'm not a stamp collector, or collect to sell, if I do part with records it is for trade of a 45 that I need, also this is my third collection of soul 45s, the 1st back in the 7ts, when my box of rare US soul got stolen at a All-nighter when I left it with a top DJ,  the remaining I gave away to MS to sell & pay a debt I owed HH, as drug dependency got the worse of me, & the only positive action I could take was to leave the scene,  However after bumping into DJ PEP in WOLVES, he told me about the Vic, one night is all it took to get the record collecting bug back, & I started to collect both US & UK 45s also I did a bit of DJ-ing at the Black Horse in Wolves for 2 years, when this ended I sold my collection to MS to take my kids on a holiday of a lifetime, However in and around the year 2000, I started my 3rd collection and as I say I was not influenced by anyone on what I should buy, so my US Soul collection consists of top tunes from 68 to 76 All-nighters and then some of the best of the London 6ts Club movers & shakers had to offer, except for the top money 45s.  My UK 45s was a mixture of top sounds and those that I felt that I must have again, this ended with label runs of the such as Polydor, Mojo, Contempo, rare Atlantic Top records of SOUL from EMI labels, the Island Philips B&C labels and more such as FUNK 45s & Ska Rock Steady & Reggae up  to 74, (I hate the term Skinhead Reggae as many people that collect reggae today, would not know what it was like in the 67 to 70, also how racist the term is now to Black people from JAMAICA, Reggae comes from  JA & London, and not from Skinheads).  Most of my collection is complete to my wants & needs with 95% in VG+ condition, my ACTION run has 2 with NOC and quite a few are DEMOS, I am now trying to find about 30 UK 45s,  To conclude I enjoy my records and will not sell them of, I have left them to 2 trusted friends to sell when I am Brown Bread, However I do have many 45s that I have picked up because I just could not leave them, and when I have upgraded records, which I may part with to a genuine UK collector, as a man who is not only a WHUFC fan but who has the SPIRIT OF 69 in my blood, any would be robbers, I would not be D the Drug if you were to try & sniff around my yard, & I Hurt if I get annoyed.:yes: KTF DAVE 

Picture #1 me in New York City about 10 years ago,

Picture #2 Wanted LP sleeve or with record condition don't matter.

NY,NY GV RECORDS 001.jpg

3e19_12fedie mac cover #1.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

57 minutes ago, dthedrug said:

:hatsoff2:HI to all of you who understand the capture and meaning of GOT ANY BRITISH,  

Over the years that I have collected UK 45s, I have only tried to collect records that are meaningful to myself, I'm not a stamp collector, or collect to sell, if I do part with records it is for trade of a 45 that I need, also this is my third collection of soul 45s, the 1st back in the 7ts, when my box of rare US soul got stolen at a All-nighter when I left it with a top DJ,  the remaining I gave away to MS to sell & pay a debt I owed HH, as drug dependency got the worse of me, & the only positive action I could take was to leave the scene,  However after bumping into DJ PEP in WOLVES, he told me about the Vic, one night is all it took to get the record collecting bug back, & I started to collect both US & UK 45s also I did a bit of DJ-ing at the Black Horse in Wolves for 2 years, when this ended I sold my collection to MS to take my kids on a holiday of a lifetime, However in and around the year 2000, I started my 3rd collection and as I say I was not influenced by anyone on what I should buy, so my US Soul collection consists of top tunes from 68 to 76 All-nighters and then some of the best of the London 6ts Club movers & shakers had to offer, except for the top money 45s.  My UK 45s was a mixture of top sounds and those that I felt that I must have again, this ended with label runs of the such as Polydor, Mojo, Contempo, rare Atlantic Top records of SOUL from EMI labels, the Island Philips B&C labels and more such as FUNK 45s & Ska Rock Steady & Reggae up  to 74, (I hate the term Skinhead Reggae as many people that collect reggae today, would not know what it was like in the 67 to 70, also how racist the term is now to Black people from JAMAICA, Reggae comes from  JA & London, and not from Skinheads).  Most of my collection is complete to my wants & needs with 95% in VG+ condition, my ACTION run has 2 with NOC and quite a few are DEMOS, I am now trying to find about 30 UK 45s,  To conclude I enjoy my records and will not sell them of, I have left them to 2 trusted friends to sell when I am Brown Bread, However I do have many 45s that I have picked up because I just could not leave them, and when I have upgraded records, which I may part with to a genuine UK collector, as a man who is not only a WHUFC fan but who has the SPIRIT OF 69 in my blood, any would be robbers, I would not be D the Drug if you were to try & sniff around my yard, & I Hurt if I get annoyed.:yes: KTF DAVE 

Picture #1 me in New York City about 10 years ago,

Picture #2 Wanted LP sleeve or with record condition don't matter.

NY,NY GV RECORDS 001.jpg

3e19_12fedie mac cover #1.jpg

Morning Dave

Well done mate. I enjoyed reading that.

ATB

Pete

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!